Meet the bag man

bigbird

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the article is 6 years old but it definitely is eye opening.  I know it goes on everywhere.  Even my beloved AU, but to be so open about it.  Makes me really question how there is not more animosity between the players.  Because as he said in the begining, you don't pay everyone....

Ok guys what school do you think this is?

I'm going with Ole Miss. It was 2014 at the height of Hugh Freeze and his recruiting sketchiness and he mentioned the town being relatively small - - Oxford, MS population is only ~23k according to Google.

Interesting and I had to laugh a little at the Waffle House sign. 

So if everyone is doing it at some level but some are doing it a much higher level then we definitely need some new bagmen because ours don't have enough 5* cash on hand. 

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm going with Ole Miss. It was 2014 at the height of Hugh Freeze and his recruiting sketchinesw and he mentioned the town being relatively small - - Oxford, MS population is only ~23k according to Google.

This is pretty old. I am pretty sure you are correct though 

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is pretty old. I am pretty sure you are correct though 

It is old, but after the last two classes it is just as relevant if not more so.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Thanks for sharing this. It actually makes me step back and check myself on why I allow myself to dedicate so much time and energy to CFB when it is inherently corrupt. 

It makes you understand why most coaches don’t fall to pieces over a loss.  The deck is stacked against them.   Then $ome other coaches scream “ unfairness” when they lose because they’re playing with 2 full decks and a few hidden cards. 

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Have posted this a couple times. It really opened my eyes to the biznazz.

I was also sharing with somebody just the other day a story my bama buddy told me. He was golfing with a group of his fellow bammers. There was a dude there he didn't know, a bit of a simpleton. They told him later that the dude was a bag man and didn't even know it. Just delivered packages for his boss. 

15 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm going with Ole Miss. It was 2014 at the height of Hugh Freeze and his recruiting sketchinesw and he mentioned the town being relatively small - - Oxford, MS population is only ~23k according to Google.

BINGO!  You won Tiger. 

The "other phone" were the burners old Barney set up to orchestrate a complex P2P scheme.  He made sue any recruit that visited that campus got $500-$1000.  They weren't using big boosters or even really big $$, but the system worked like a charm and brought in a couple of top classes that OM had never seen in program history.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thanks for sharing this. It actually makes me step back and check myself on why I allow myself to dedicate so much time and energy to CFB when it is inherently corrupt. 

It really is a moral compromise. If it helps at all, though, making sure your bag man has the biggest bag isn't really so different than making sure you have the nicest locker room or the most expensive coach. 

But this is the kind of stuff that makes me laugh at the self-righteous clowns who like to claim that CFB has some sort of moral high ground on the NFL. Give me a break. 

Hell, youth sports has its fair share of shady characters. Big money in sports. Big problems follow. 

21 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

It makes you understand why most coaches don’t fall to pieces over a loss.  The deck is stacked against them.   Then $ome other coaches scream “ unfairness” when they lose because they’re playing with 2 full decks and a few hidden cards. 

I see your point somewhat.  But when a staff is pulling a top 5 salary, the man in charge could at least make a semblance of falling to pieces when he's consistently losing 3-4-5 games a year.:angry:

36 minutes ago, keesler said:

I see your point somewhat.  But when a staff is pulling a top 5 salary, the man in charge could at least make a semblance of falling to pieces when he's consistently losing 3-4-5 games a year.:angry:

If losses don't sting Gus as much because we're doing things *less* egregious than our rivals when it comes to bagmen activities then I'm even more in favor of hiring a new coach than I already was. I have no moral qualms about helping a kid's family out in exchange for his athletic services while Gus uses $20 bills as toilet paper.

Somebody is going to dispute the validity of this article because it can’t be completely corroborated. Won’t name names but it may rhyme with Pikey.....

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

Somebody is going to dispute the validity of this article because it can’t be completely corroborated. Won’t name names but it may rhyme with Pikey.....

Image result for jason statham snatch gif

I see the bag man every time I look in the mirror......

..... except all the bags of money I distribute goes to the medical industry.

It's very fascinating that how you basically become this is by being someone who loves the team.

" Once properly vetted, your money usually buys you first or secondhand access to information most fans (or journalists) would kill for: player run-ins with the law that go unreported, what certain coaches are really like, what kind of power an AD or president really has, and who really is in charge of your football program. "

When I saw this part it became clear that there are tons of people who would do this job. Well, I say tons, obviously have you to be fairly wealthy, so you don't miss the money you give away.

I also don't really view this as a crime. I mean seriously, people who get mad at someone getting paid for something they legally did (in this case, play football) are crazy to me. There's tons of horrible stuff going on in the world are worried about college athletes getting paid? And frankly, considering the size of college football, you could argue they aren't getting paid very much relative to the income they bring in for others.

Archived