Meet the bag man

bigbird

On 2/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, bigbird said:

Unfortunately there is not a mind blown emoji.   This cleared up a lot for me too.  Explains the several run ins with so called boosters either myself or some of my friends had at Auburn.   I had never or since never heard of them.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/6/2020 at 9:25 PM, bigbird said:

It is old, but after the last two classes it is just as relevant if not more so.

So after this read I believe it is safe to assume the bag men are far from fed up with Gus.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, McLoofus said:

Have posted this a couple times. It really opened my eyes to the biznazz.

I was also sharing with somebody just the other day a story my bama buddy told me. He was golfing with a group of his fellow bammers. There was a dude there he didn't know, a bit of a simpleton. They told him later that the dude was a bag man and didn't even know it. Just delivered packages for his boss. 

No need to be redundant.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:45 PM, copper4eva said:

It's very fascinating that how you basically become this is by being someone who loves the team.

" Once properly vetted, your money usually buys you first or secondhand access to information most fans (or journalists) would kill for: player run-ins with the law that go unreported, what certain coaches are really like, what kind of power an AD or president really has, and who really is in charge of your football program. "

When I saw this part it became clear that there are tons of people who would do this job. Well, I say tons, obviously have you to be fairly wealthy, so you don't miss the money you give away.

I also don't really view this as a crime. I mean seriously, people who get mad at someone getting paid for something they legally did (in this case, play football) are crazy to me. There's tons of horrible stuff going on in the world are worried about college athletes getting paid? And frankly, considering the size of college football, you could argue they aren't getting paid very much relative to the income they bring in for others.

This article brought to my attention that I have possibly met one for them. 

On 2/6/2020 at 4:49 PM, Sully to Beasley said:

Little nickie $aban was probably the ghost writer for this article! $$$$$$$$$$$

Most of this goes on and the head coach has zero idea about it . Probably mist  of theM don’t want to know. Just a group of folks that get info that coach likes this guy and they go from there. That’s not to say they don’t know it goes on in generally, they just don’t know anything specific . Like who is getting what from who. That way they can never be tied to it and if the bag guy gets caught. He gets banned from the official sight but he is still family 😁

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Most of this goes on and the head coach has zero idea about it . Probably mist  of theM don’t want to know. Just a group of folks that get info that coach likes this guy and they go from there. That’s not to say they don’t know it goes on in generally, they just don’t know anything specific . Like who is getting what from who. That way they can never be tied to it and if the bag guy gets caught. He gets banned from the official sight but he is still family 😁

Band name!!

On 2/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, ToomersStreet said:

Unfortunately there is not a mind blown emoji.   This cleared up a lot for me too.  Explains the several run ins with so called boosters either myself or some of my friends had at Auburn.   I had never or since never heard of them.

🤯🤯🤯 just for future ref.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:45 PM, copper4eva said:

I also don't really view this as a crime. I mean seriously, people who get mad at someone getting paid for something they legally did (in this case, play football) are crazy to me. There's tons of horrible stuff going on in the world are worried about college athletes getting paid? And frankly, considering the size of college football, you could argue they aren't getting paid very much relative to the income they bring in for others.

I may be in the minority here, but I think it's a big deal. Not necessarily because young athletes are getting paid, but more just what the system represents and teaches.

Like it or not, under the table pay sends a messed up message. It tells kids it's normal to operate under false pretenses. It's fine to lie. It's fine to disregard rules you don't agree with. You should be above the law anyway! So just take your bribe and keep quiet.

It's no wonder there are so many run-ins with the law, and so many that aren't reported. We are teaching kids how to be corrupt... and then we wonder why some NFL guys turn into monsters. 

Even if it's about something small or inconsequential, lying will erode your character. College ball appears to be a really sleezy business, even if it's always been that way. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I may be in the minority here, but I think it's a big deal. Not necessarily because young athletes are getting paid, but more just what the system represents and teaches.

Like it or not, under the table pay sends a messed up message. It tells kids it's normal to operate under false pretenses. It's fine to lie. It's fine to disregard rules you don't agree with. You should be above the law anyway! So just take your bribe and keep quiet.

It's no wonder there are so many run-ins with the law, and so many that aren't reported. We are teaching kids how to be corrupt... and then we wonder why some NFL guys turn into monsters. 

Even if it's about something small or inconsequential, lying will erode your character. College ball appears to be a really sleezy business, even if it's always been that way. 

I'm in complete agreement with you but unfortunately the youth of today don't need sports to get this message. Music and television/movies glorify the behavior you mentioned. It's a me world for a lot of people and they don't think there's anything wrong with it because they get away with it and that goes for the payer as well as the payee. 

”No secret lair, although a couple guys have some pretty ridiculous-looking hunting camps. I mean, we’re shooting the s*** about college football players. That in and of itself isn’t a crime. Sometimes we go to the Waffle House.”

I KNEW Gus was involved!!!   😆

bingo.gif

On 2/11/2020 at 3:12 AM, AUght2win said:

You have fair points, but that brings up a question. Is it the bagmen and players that are in the wrong? Or is it the ncaa who enforces this ridiculous rules?

They wouldn't have to lie if the whole system wasn't messed up.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:12 AM, AUght2win said:

What does it teach kids when and an Asst HC (alum) works deals with his parents (also alumni) to disregard rules, operate under false pretenses, accept impressible money and the Asst HC even goes to greater lengths to explain it's all against the rules so keep quiet.  College ball is indeed a sleezy business and it's always been that way and Auburn's certainly not immune to the way the that sketchy business works.

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

What does it teach kids when and an Asst HC (alum) works deals with his parents (also alumni) to disregard rules, operate under false pretenses, accept impressible money and the Asst HC even goes to greater lengths to explain it's all against the rules so keep quiet.  College ball is indeed a sleezy business and it's always been that way and Auburn's certainly not immune to the way the that sketchy business works.

Ultimately it's the parent's responsibility to teach their kids what's right and acceptable vs wrong and illegal. If they don't learn it at home many won't ever live by it whether they learn the difference or not. There's just no way to level this playing field of paying anyone legally or otherwise because even if it's legal then someone will go over the limit just like speeding on the highway. The limit will be the starting point of what you can get away with. 

7 hours ago, copper4eva said:

You have fair points, but that brings up a question. Is it the bagmen and players that are in the wrong? Or is it the ncaa who enforces this ridiculous rules?

The bag men and players. $100k education, training, housing and meals is plenty of compensation.

It says a lot about where we are as a country when people no longer consider a free college education as an extremely valuable thing. 

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Right, but I don't think I could handle all that, whether it is normal or not. I don't think the moral compasses of most high-level college athletics professionals are trustworthy.

19 hours ago, copper4eva said:

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The bag men and players. $100k education, training, housing and meals is plenty of compensation.

It says a lot about where we are as a country when people no longer consider a free college education as an extremely valuable thing. 

Um, y'all aren't going to leave us, the fans, out of this, are you? Guess where all this money's coming from? 

And it says a lot about privilege to suggest that these families are supposed to turn down every cash offer that comes their way. That's the voice of somebody who doesn't know struggle. 

Oh, and while they mostly maintain plausible deniability about the actual transactions, the coaches are 100% aware of how the recruiting game is played. How naive to suggest that they don't share any blame in this. 

Very, very telling. 

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Lol wut? This is the country with some of the most expensive college in the world. If anything, people over value college today. But I don't wanna get into that tbh.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And it says a lot about privilege to suggest that these families are supposed to turn down every cash offer that comes their way. That's the voice of somebody who doesn't know struggle. 

Just wanted to make sure that others read this part again because a lot of people who are on the high horse about not paying athletes don't quite *get it*. It's an ignorant point of view, and I mean that without any vitriol or insult intended whatsoever.  Those that oppose athletes getting financial, tangible help in exchange for earning the school millions just don't understand that some families are just not in a position to wave off a quick 6 figures injected into their lives.

And this is not a shot at AUght2win, but it's like Tebow saying he didn't want money while at UF. Well, duh, he comes from a privileged family. Some kids and families don't have the luxury of saying "no thanks" to gobs of cash being offered to them.

Luxury? What about morals and ethics? Oh, sorry. What was I thinking?...

6 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Luxury? What about morals and ethics? Oh, sorry. What was I thinking?...

LMAO morals and ethics dictate these kids should be paid. Otherwise it's flat out exploitation. Hmmm real green money is being generated but the kids doing the hard work see none of it. Yeah that seems morally sound.

None of this money would come from your pockets so you don't have to worry, my man! I promise! 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Um, y'all aren't going to leave us, the fans, out of this, are you? Guess where all this money's coming from? 

Oh, and while they mostly maintain plausible deniability about the actual transactions, the coaches are 100% aware of how the recruiting game is played. How naive to suggest that they don't share any blame in this. 

Very, very telling. 

Very true, I don't know struggle. I come from a small town family who worked hard for 3 generations to send me to Auburn, where I (and my sister) earned scholarships. We have been very blessed, but also worked very hard.

So no, I don't understand struggle. But I do understand integrity. I also understand people like you, who justify any illegal or dishonest activity with "you don't know the struggle". 

Again, I think what's most telling is that people think the better thing for an 18 year old is cash in the hand rather than a free college education. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LMAO morals and ethics dictate these kids should be paid. Otherwise it's flat out exploitation. Hmmm real green money is being generated but the kids doing the hard work see none of it. Yeah that seems morally sound.

None of this money would come from your pockets so you don't have to worry, my man! I promise! 

Whoops, you forget about the "free" education that they are "given". That's why coaches- paid millions by the schools- line up out their doors begging them to commit. To give them free things with no expectations in return other than they make their grades and show up at practice. Please! PLEASE come get an education! 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The coaches are 100% aware of how the recruiting game is played. How naive to suggest that they don't share any blame in this. 

Very, very telling. 

Lol I never said the coaches weren't to blame. They shouldn't be paid anywhere near what they are. They also get to bail whenever they like. It's an unfair system and college coaches are pretty dirty dudes. They aren't in it to help kids anymore, that's for sure.

Archived