Meet the bag man

bigbird

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

No D1 scholarship football player has student loans lmao. Baseball, rowing, tennis, golf? I am certain those kids do. And I am also certain that if we outright paid college football players, there would no longer be enough money to support less popular sports that aren't self-funding. Do you understand that college football is literally the lifeblood of major D1 programs? Y'all like to imagine Jay Gouge or the board of trustees or a TV exec splitting up all of Auburn football's proceeds for a new pad on Lake Martin, but that isn't how it works. At all.

Here are some highlights from an Article on 2018 Athletic Department profits and expenditures by the Montgomery Advertiser:

Auburn makes 147 mil. 93 of that alone from football:

Auburn's athletics department reported a record revenue of $147.6 million during the 2017-18 fiscal year, according to the university’s NCAA Membership Financial Report

Actual profit:

Auburn's overall profit margin decreased, according to the annual report released to the Montgomery Advertiser Tuesday in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

Auburn reported an operating excess of $7.8 million.

Expenses:

That decrease in profit comes from an increase in total department expenses, which rose from $132.8 million during the 2016-17 fiscal year to $139.7 million in 2017-18.

The areas Auburn saw the biggest increase in spending were coaching salaries ($23.6 million to $26.2 million), support staff compensation ($25.3 million to $26.7 million) and team travel ($5.6 million to $7.3 million) — the football team made three of the farthest possible SEC road trips to Missouri, Arkansas and Texas A&M, and the men's basketball team played in the NCAA Tournament in San Diego, California.

Football and basketball only two sports in the black:

Football was responsible for most of the revenue, bringing in $93.5 million, or nearly 64 percent, of the university's total. That number rose by $2.2 million from the season prior. Men's basketball also saw an increase in revenue, from $9.9 million to $11.2 million.

Those were the only two sports where Auburn saw an operating surplus (of $49.1 million and $1.7 million, respectively) which is typical across NCAA athletics. The the rest of the university's teams teams operated at a loss of $22.3 million.

I actually personally know some that have student loans. I know their families. You don't know what you're talking about.

And you can stop your idiotic mansplaining because it is as unnecessary and offensive as the rest of your posts. You continue to miss the point and you're so full of yourself that you can't learn anything. 

Time to put you on ignore.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes it is. 

I was just sorta kidding you on the movie stuff. I remember there was this big twitter trending right after BP came out "Killmonger did nothing wrong". He was great in that flick.

@Mikey when the time comes to make a change you do not have to be worried anymore! I know a lot of people averse to a coaching change at the top moving forward are worried about the "risks" but I have seen rock bottom and it has already happened to a program!!!! And it wasn't us!!! We are safe!!!! Wooooooooo!!!!!! So you don't have to be afraid anymore!!! Lol. As long as we don't have to hear the words Auburn has hired Karl Dorrell as it's next football coach we Gucci like D Craig taught us!!! LMAO.

P.s. first time in the football forum in a miiiiiiinute. Maaaaaan the tone of this place is so different and not as fun as the basketball forum!!! Lol we'll have a good week everyone!!! Woooooo!!!! LFG!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!

IMG_20200223_203519.jpg

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I was just sorta kidding you on the movie stuff. I remember there was this big twitter trending right after BP came out "Killmonger did nothing wrong". He was great in that flick.

Yeah that’s crazy . But we can really have a serious debate about this in PMs. A lot of cultural bickerness between Killmonger (Malcolm X) and Prince T”Challa (MLK). Justification of killmonger is based on the cultural portrayal of Malcolm little but probably not best to discuss on this forum medium. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:49 PM, Tigerbelle said:

My oldest is a college professor, and she will tell you that the football players in her classes are usually the harder workers. They may not have the highest grades, but they show up and do the work. Many of them are very poor kids and they struggle. But they do put in the effort.

You know very little about student athletes, and what it takes for them to succeed.

Ya and I have ran into the other side as a student at Auburn. The ones that thought they were entitled and didn't care about school they just wanted the pro's. The ones you get in a group and they expect to be carried, thus they are not prepared ever and don't show up for group meetings. They are like any other 18-22 year old. They can slack, not care, and be inconsiderate just like others. Some were a pure joy to work with and fit the description you gave. I also have family that is faculty at Auburn.

And I was a Division 1 student athlete.

13 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Ya and I have ran into the other side as a student at Auburn. The ones that thought they were entitled and didn't care about school they just wanted the pro's. The ones you get in a group and they expect to be carried, thus they are not prepared ever and don't show up for group meetings. They are like any other 18-22 year old. They can slack, not care, and be inconsiderate just like others. Some were a pure joy to work with and fit the description you gave. I also have family that is faculty at Auburn.

And I was a Division 1 student athlete.

I think about all the kids we have had over the years that our coaches bent over backward for, but just refused to do the right thing. Dyer, Sean White, Duke, Jovon. I look at a guy like AB now. It really is just sad. You know they'll all one day look back and just think what an opportunity they wasted. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah that’s crazy . But we can really have a serious debate about this in PMs. A lot of cultural bickerness between Killmonger (Malcolm X) and Prince T”Challa (MLK). Justification of killmonger is based on the cultural portrayal of Malcolm little but probably not best to discuss on this forum medium. 

I work in entertainment and me and my coworkers all agreed KillMonger was actually TOO compelling of a character. He dwarfed T'Challa. They didn't do BP justice in how they built his character. He needed more edge and more personality. 

On 2/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, Tigerbelle said:

It sounds like you're the one who's envious here......

You just gave yourself away.

He is right though. Many do act like there are not perks to being a Division 1 athlete.

I went to play D1 cause I wanted to keep playing. At that time that was the end-game. Noone was coming from the Italian, Premier, or Bundesliga to make an offer. Athletes continue to play the sport cause they want to keep playing first and foremost.

Long hours of practice, balancing school, sacrificing social/free time. They did this stuff already cause it is what it took to get to D1. It is nothing new to a college athlete. Many sports outside of football you play on multiple teams at once. During Winter/Spring I was on a indoor team, a club team, ODP team, and a HS team.

I played with guys that went to UCLA, Duke, SMU, Virginia etc. So ya earning degrees at great universities (much easier to get in also as an athlete). Then further perks in connections for employment post graduation. Credibility as he put it.

We didn't have pro's or social media so can't speak on that. We didn't get food, room and board, books, etc. Usually reduced tuition or in-state tuition costs if you were out of state.

Girls... definitely girls though.

He is listing legitimate reasons that people continued to play athletics through college despite it being a job (and all college sports are a job). Nothing envious about that. It's true stuff.

I will be honest. It is very hard for me as a non-headcount student athlete of the past to look at what the headcount student athletes of today have and say wow, these guys are mistreated and not compensated for their work.

As someone said if they don't like it they can quit. My company raked in billions for 2019, but they cut positions above me and put that workload on me, I will be with a different organization before summer.

There were girls though.... Australian tennis girls too. Definitely made up for having to buy my own books.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

@Mikey when the time comes to make a change you do not have to be worried anymore! I know a lot of people averse to a coaching change at the top moving forward are worried about the "risks" but I have seen rock bottom and it has already happened to a program!!!! And it wasn't us!!! We are safe!!!! Wooooooooo!!!!!! So you don't have to be afraid anymore!!! Lol. As long as we don't have to hear the words Auburn has hired Karl Dorrell as it's next football coach we Gucci like D Craig taught us!!! LMAO.

D. Craig demonstrated disloyalty, a trait that I don't find admirable. He had a job to do but he didn't have to do it like a scumbag. I'm not afraid of change, I don't want change because I think our best chance to win championships is with the man we have at the helm now.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

D. Craig demonstrated disloyalty, a trait that I don't find admirable. He had a job to do but he didn't have to do it like a scumbag. I'm not afraid of change, I don't want change because I think our best chance to win championships is with the man we have at the helm now.

I will save this for May in the AU Family forum 10 step program of topics to discuss during the football off season!!! lol.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will save this for May in the AU Family forum 10 step program of topics to discuss during the football off season!!! lol.

Pull it back up after Gus drives the bus to 15-0 next season!

51 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

He is right though. Many do act like there are not perks to being a Division 1 athlete.

I went to play D1 cause I wanted to keep playing. At that time that was the end-game. Noone was coming from the Italian, Premier, or Bundesliga to make an offer. Athletes continue to play the sport cause they want to keep playing first and foremost.

Long hours of practice, balancing school, sacrificing social/free time. They did this stuff already cause it is what it took to get to D1. It is nothing new to a college athlete. Many sports outside of football you play on multiple teams at once. During Winter/Spring I was on a indoor team, a club team, ODP team, and a HS team.

I played with guys that went to UCLA, Duke, SMU, Virginia etc. So ya earning degrees at great universities (much easier to get in also as an athlete). Then further perks in connections for employment post graduation. Credibility as he put it.

We didn't have pro's or social media so can't speak on that. We didn't get food, room and board, books, etc. Usually reduced tuition or in-state tuition costs if you were out of state.

He is listing legitimate reasons that people continued to play athletics through college despite it being a job (and all college sports are a job). Nothing envious about that. It's true stuff.

I will be honest. It is very hard for me as a non-headcount student athlete of the past to look at what the headcount student athletes of today have and say wow, these guys are mistreated and not compensated for their work.

As someone said if they don't like it they can quit. My company raked in billions for 2019, but they cut positions above me and put that workload on me, I will be with a different organization before summer.

There were girls though.... Australian tennis girls too. Definitely made up for having to buy my own books.

While at Auburn I worked a ton of free internships to set up my career. Eventually, one of these did get me a job. A few years ago, that internship was forced, by law, to become paid. They cut down the spots from 30 to 8-9. It's nice to get paid, but now 20 people are shut out of that amazing career-opportunity. All because of short term cash. I can say for a fact that had the paid internship been in effect while I was in school, I would not have had the career I have been very blessed with. 

Will that happen to college football? Will teams be forced to have a 50ish man roster like the pros? Drastically decreasing the amount of kids that get to play and get their college paid for? We have to think about stuff like this. 

Everything has a cost. I just want to know what that cost is before changing the current system. Because currently it seems like a system chock full of pros. 

8 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Nobody pays to come see you work. So comparing what you do at your company to what someone like Cam Newton bought to AU is apples to oranges. I am not sure what the right answer is but I always find it interesting when someone compares there 9-5 to power 5 D1 athletes. 

9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Many do act like there are not perks to being a Division 1 athlete.

I haven't seen anyone say this. And I've been following this conversation pretty closely for a few years now.

How much revenue do you think you guys generated for the university?

He's gone far beyond that. To include initially saying that the blame for illicit cash inducements as part of college recruiting lies with the recruits themselves. 

The qualifier is acknowledged and appreciated. But please do continue to acknowledge that, as an athlete in a non-revenue sport in a different era, you don't really have perspective on, say, a running back who put up 1,000 yards last season and who has watched Auburn University sell a few thousand of his jerseys at $100+ a pop but he can't sell so much as a single autograph himself.

How nice for you to have that option. Football players don't really have that option. The NFL and NCAA have done a good job of ensuring that the existing free farm system remain the only legitimate path. 

Also, it's a little insane that this notion that all people should just accept their current circumstances "or quit" keeps getting perpetuated by ostensibly intelligent people. Actually, it's completely insane. Y'all need to know that. Y'all really need to think about what you're saying. I need not enumerate the very necessary things that people have now because they did not simply accept their inadequate circumstances or quit. 

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nobody pays to come see you work. So comparing what you do at your company to what someone like Cam Newton bought to AU is apples to oranges. I am not sure what the right answer is but I always find it interesting when someone compares there 9-5 to power 5 D1 athletes. 

It doesn't have to be apples and oranges.  Cam Newton brought revenue to the university through performing his services on the field.  A 9-5 brings in revenue through the services you perform at your job.  Whether someone watches you do your job or not doesn't really matter a whole lot as there are other jobs that are not athletic-based where people do pay to see you work.

Just as an aside, Auburn ranks second in the country (behind Tennessee) in their stipends given to student athletes at $5,586.  This is on top of the free food, clothes, and housing offerings.  So we are doing what we can within the limits of what is allowed to help our athletes across all sports.  Not saying this is all they deserve, just that Auburn is maxing out what they can give legally.

I do also think athletes should be able to receive compensation on other things if regulated.  For example I am fine with someone paying an athlete for the autograph, but there needs to be limits.  Otherwise someone could shell out $20,000 and say it was money for one autograph.  It really makes me think of Donald De La Haye, a kicker for Central Florida’s football team in 2017.  He had a profitable YouTube channel from high school and he was not allowed to receive residual income from that as he was in college.  I didn't have a problem with that at all.

I am not for paying a player outright, but I am for something like an annuity being set up for each player.  Once they complete their third year, they are fully vested and can receive the payments upon graduation.  If they transfer or quit the team, the annuity is forfeited.  This prevents players from getting paid by one university, transferring, and getting paid by the next university (double-dipping).

31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It doesn't have to be apples and oranges.  Cam Newton brought revenue to the university through performing his services on the field.  A 9-5 brings in revenue through the services you perform at your job.  Whether someone watches you do your job or not doesn't really matter a whole lot as there are other jobs that are not athletic-based where people do pay to see you work.

It does matter because you are DISPENSABLE. Surely, you have enough critical thinking skills to know this without trying to be argumentative.  I shouldn't have to explain the difference. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

It does matter because you are DISPENSABLE. Surely, you have enough critical thinking skills to know this without trying to be argumentative.  I shouldn't have to explain the difference. 

First of all, talking like that is uncalled for.  That is childish especially when my original response was very cordial.

Second, to your point some key employees are not dispensable, just like some players are dispensable no matter how talented.  Star players get benched for breaking team rules all of the time.  Companies all of the time do what they can to hold onto critical employees.  This is part of what I do for a living remember.  You can do things like set up SERP plans, offer golden parachutes, equity participation, etc.  The list goes on and on.  Some companies' values are even tied to the employees to where it is critical they stay.

I will give you an example of an oil refinery client.  Their district manager is so critical to their operation that when his wife wanted to return home to Tennessee and raise their children there, they set up a SERP plan for him to incentive him to want to travel back and forth from the company to his family.  Without him they would lose all of their business in South Carolina and could not afford that loss.

This is not a black and white answer, but more grey.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

First of all, talking like that is uncalled for.  That is childish especially when my original response was very cordial.

Second, to your point some key employees are not dispensable, just like some players are dispensable no matter how talented.  Star players get benched for breaking team rules all of the time.  Companies all of the time do what they can to hold onto critical employees.  This is part of what I do for a living remember.  You can do things like set up SERP plans, offer golden parachutes, equity participation, etc.  The list goes on and on.  Some companies' values are even tied to the employees to where it is critical they stay.

I will give you an example of an oil refinery client.  Their district manager is so critical to their operation that when his wife wanted to return home to Tennessee and raise their children there, they set up a SERP plan for him to incentive him to want to travel back and forth from the company to his family.  Without him they would lose all of their business in South Carolina.

This is not a black and white answer, but more grey.

Suck it up buttercup

Exactly some key employees are not dispensable. Do you think a 9-5 employee brings in the same impact as someone like Cam Newton? Majority do not. Again, process what I typed out before just being argumentative.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Suck it up buttercup  Obviously I can handle it.  That still does not mean you aren't acting like a child.

Exactly some key employees are not dispensable. Do you think a 9-5 employee brings in the same impact as someone like Cam Newton? Majority do not. Again, process what I typed out before just being argumentative.  I am perfectly processing it.  What you are doing though is comparing only the extremes and stating it is the rule.  Do you think the majority of players are Cam Newton.  No.  What I did what line up your compassion to make it fair and you need to pay attention to that.  Newton was an extreme talent.  Key employees are the extreme talent.  A regular 9-5 would be other role players on that team like Lee Ziemba, Kodi Burns, etc.  They still bring value to the university and help Cam elevate his play just like regular 9-5's help elevate the key employees.

Again, please realize it is not black and white like you want it to be before acting like this. 

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Never said majority of the players are Cam Newton. The Cam Newton types will be the main ones driving the market. That is Mcloofus main point. This won't be some free for all that the chicken littles like yourself think it will be. 

Just now, DAG said:

Never said majority of the players are Cam Newton. The Cam Newton types will be the main ones driving the market. That is Mcloofus main point.  Ah but you compared Cam Newton to a regular 9-5.  That is an unfair comparison.  If you were fair I would have agreed and said nothing.

"Nobody pays to come see you work. So comparing what you do at your company to what someone like Cam Newton bought to AU is apples to oranges."

This won't be some free for all that the chicken littles like yourself think it will be.  Why do you always resort to name calling and going after people' intelligence when they disagree with you?  That is not a good look.  Where did I say it was a free-for-all?  In my post under the original instance I quoted you I stated I was for some compensation.

Archived