Chad Morris —Tight Ends Will Contribute

toddc

Chad Morris' history shows TE will be more involved at Auburn

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 8 minutes ago 

Share2 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — Draft the papers because Gus Malzahn has made a declaration about a little-used position in his offense.

The Auburn head coach is handing the play-calling reins to Chad Morris, and in doing so promises tight ends will be much more involved in the passing offense starting next season.

"I know a lot of people and a lot of our fan base say, ‘When are we going to throw to the tight end?’ Well, it’s here," Malzahn said. "The frustration of not throwing to the tight end enough, I think we’ve got two guys that can really help change it."

Auburn signed two tight ends in the 2020 recruiting class. Both are 4-star bluechips and can contribute immediately next season. The Tigers added former Arkansas commitment Brandon Frazier to the class Wednesday after previously signing J.J. Pegues in December. Frazier was long recruited by Morris, the former Arkansas head coach.

The addition of the two tight ends continued a trend for the Tigers, who have brought four tight ends on board in the last two recruiting classes. Still, is Auburn ready to change after seven years of drought at the position?

To say Malzahn has been reluctant to throw to the tight end in recent years is an understatement. Still, coaches play to their players' strengths, and for Auburn the tight end position has been more of a blocker than a threat in the passing game in the seven years of the Malzahn era.

Tight ends accounted for only 3 percent of Auburn's receiving yards in the last seven seasons, combining for a total of 567 yards and 14 touchdowns. The Tigers failed to complete a pass to a tight end in 2015, the worst season of the Malzahn era (7-6).

Enter Morris, who had the benefit of coaching one of the better tight ends in the country during his less-than-two-season tenure as Arkansas' head coach. Cheyenne O'Grady combined for 63 yards and 772 yards in less than two seasons, but left the team after only seven games in 2018 (45 catches for 476 yards and five touchdowns).

The idea is Morris will bulk up Auburn's passing schemes, which means more opportunities for tight ends, which is a loaded group: returning starter John Samuel Shenker and the four most recent additions in Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm, Pegues and Frazier.

"I think more than anything is just a fresh start, fresh eyes, we’re from the same family, the foundation, but he’s different and I know him and (quarterback) Bo (Nix) have already spent a lot of time together — and (quarterback) Cord (Sandberg) — just talking about the new things we’re going to do," Malzahn said.

How often might Auburn include the tight end? It depends on the reliability of the players. Morris can draw up as many plays as he wants to involve the tight end, but if targets turn into incomplete passes, the Tigers will have to adjust in 2020. Still, the promise has been made: the tight ends will be more involved.

Auburn's tight ends haven't eclipsed a combined 16 catches in Malzahn's seven years as head coach. Morris' lowest total as a head coach or coordinator since 2011 is 19 catches (SMU in 2015). Four of his nine seasons calling plays included one tight end catching at least 33 passes, an unheard-of mark at Auburn.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

Brandon Ford and Dewayne Allen each earned first-team All-ACC honors, with Allen also garnering an All-American nod, at Clemson. The duo combined for 103 catches, 1,238 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2011 and 2012.

The most successful tight end in Malzahn's career was Philip Lutzenkirchen, who caught 39 passes for 423 yards and 12 touchdowns combined in 2010 and 2011.

Most recently, Morris relied on the tight end more than ever to power his offense at Arkansas. O'Grady co-led the team in receptions in each season despite playing in only seven games in 2019.

Malzahn believes the addition of Pegues and Frazier will change the dynamic of Auburn's passing scheme. Frazier's film is especially outstanding, particularly with the tight end's abilities after the catch.

"That’s really a big priority for Coach Morris. And Brandon knows that too," Malzahn said. "I think the closest thing physically (we've had is) C.J. Uzomah was close to that size. He may be a little bigger at this point and all that. He’s got great range. Of course, JJ is coming. He provides a different aspect, too. Both of them are big-time basketball players and both of them are big, strong guys and have those NFL-type bodies. You’ll definitely see more targets to the tight ends than what we’ve seen in recent history with Chad running the offense."

What's the over/under on TE receptions for 2020? 2019 Nigh caught 2 and Shenker caught 3 (hand in the dirt TE position). Over 20 is Chad OC, under 10 is Gus still OC.

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

What's the over/under on TE receptions for 2020? 2019 Nigh caught 2 and Shenker caught 3 (hand in the dirt TE position). Over 20 is Chad OC, under 10 is Gus still OC.

Oh. Well then we're clearly going to land on 15 and still be yelling at each other about who's calling plays this time next year. Take a bow, Auburn football!

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh. Well then we're clearly going to land on 15 and still be yelling at each other about who's calling plays this time next year. Take a bow, Auburn football!

If we don't get 3-4 attempts to the TE per game I'm going to be @sad.

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If we don't get 30+ receptions by the TE this season I'm going to be @sad.

TE + H + whatever we're calling Harold Joiner? I'll ride with you on that.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

TE + H + whatever we're calling Harold Joiner? I'll ride with you on that.

I changed my post up a little but either way we need to utilize all the weapons we have across the entire field.

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I changed my post up a little but either way we need to utilize all the weapons we have across the entire field.

I support the edited version.

4 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Awwww that’s cute. Chad thinks he will actually have a say so on that...How sweet.

If you dont think some things have changed you havent paid attention. 

If Gus lets it stick or not is an entirely different story...

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If you dont think some things have changed you havent paid attention. 

If Gus lets it stick or not is an entirely different story...

Actually, I really haven’t been paying attention. Between Ol Four Loss Malzahn and the “ god we love losing 4-5 games a year “ crowd I am very disillusioned with our football program.  

Gus has been down this road before. I’ll believe it when I see it as far as being hands off on the offense. 

5 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Actually, I really haven’t been paying attention. Between Ol Four Loss Malzahn and the “ god we love losing 4-5 games a year “ crowd I am very disillusioned with our football program.  

Gus has been down this road before. I’ll believe it when I see it as far as being hands off on the offense. 

Trust me i feel ya. 

Well... It started with Morris visiting lots of QBs in January. Then we had a mutual parting of ways with a longtime qb commit. 

Then the hire at OL coach was a completely out of the box hire for Gus. 

Plus a little simple common sense says there is 0 chance Chad Morris comes here to hold a clipboard. We have not had an OC in the same stratosphere as Chad Morris. Lashlee was a new coach. Lindsey had 1 season of P5 coaching before we hired him. Dilly Dilly was nothing but a clipboard holder on offense. He was a year or 2 at most removed from being a Graduate Assistant when we hired him. Chad Morris was at one time the highest paid OC in the entire country. He needs to rebuild his image after the Arkansas debacle. He isnt going to come here and not be in control of his own destiny.

But im with you. Im Missouri when it comes to this subject. I just cant see Morris coming to hold a clipboard.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Trust me i feel ya. 

Well... It started with Morris visiting lots of QBs in January. Then we had a mutual parting of ways with a longtime qb commit. 

Then the hire at OL coach was a completely out of the box hire for Gus. 

Plus a little simple common sense says there is 0 chance Chad Morris comes here to hold a clipboard. We have not had an OC in the same stratosphere as Chad Morris. Lashlee was a new coach. Lindsey had 1 season of P5 coaching before we hired him. Dilly Dilly was nothing but a clipboard holder on offense. He was a year or 2 at most removed from being a Graduate Assistant when we hired him. Chad Morris was at one time the highest paid OC in the entire country. He needs to rebuild his image after the Arkansas debacle. He isnt going to come here and not be in control of his own destiny.

But im with you. Im Missouri when it comes to this subject. I just cant see Morris coming to hold a clipboard.

I agree with the not coming to hold a clipboard part. I just worry Gus will meddle and not let CM just do his thing. But who knows, maybe it all works out. We’ll see next fall I guess.

22 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

TE's don't see many catches in Malzahn's hurry up.

Nope but they see a LOT in the Chad Morris offense. 

That single position will be the clear answer to who is in fact running the offense. If our TEs get less than 30 catches, Gus isnt letting Chad do his thing. If they get over 30 catches there isn't a chance Gus is still running the offense. 

Its strange that one position will be the glaring answer to that question... But it unequivocally will...

On 2/12/2020 at 9:11 AM, oracle79 said:

23 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If our TEs get less than 30 catches

I said 20, but you're probably closer to right.

23 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Nope but they see a LOT in the Chad Morris offense. 

That single position will be the clear answer to who is in fact running the offense. If our TEs get less than 30 catches, Gus isnt letting Chad do his thing. If they get over 30 catches there isn't a chance Gus is still running the offense. 

Its strange that one position will be the glaring answer to that question... But it unequivocally will...

I Agree with most. Morris will be respected and Gus will let him run the offense. 

And if he does get to run even 70% or more, that is better than Gus. 

And as far as the TEs? Just remember Gus only threw to TEs 16 times last year, while Morris at Arkansas threw 33 times to the TE JUST in the month of September. 

So the pattern is there. The key is do we have enough experience at the TE to execute? Most of these guys will be RFR or TFR.

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Just curious. Who are you classifying as TE's?

Shenaker and JJ Wilson. Nigh I think did everything as an HB.

Some of the catches may have been as a WR(especially Wilson), but the way they moved around, I just kept these two as TEs, even though that may have been generous....

52 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree with most. Morris will be respected and Gus will let him run the offense. 

And if he does get to run even 70% or more, that is better than Gus. 

And as far as the TEs? Just remember Gus only threw to TEs 16 times last year, while Morris at Arkansas threw 33 times to the TE JUST in the month of September. 

So the pattern is there. The key is do we have enough experience at the TE to execute? Most of these guys will be RFR or TFR.

To me gus or Chad it is not going to matter. Chad is a carbon clone of gus.  He had a couple good years at clemson before falling off significantly in 2014.  Gus also had a couple of good years before trailing off bad.  At least gus couple of years was against SEC caliber opponents.  A few passes to the TEs is not going to make a silk purse out of a shows ear.

Archived