Chad Morris —Tight Ends Will Contribute

toddc

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

To me gus or Chad it is not going to matter. Chad is a carbon clone of gus.  He had a couple good years at clemson before falling off significantly in 2014.  Gus also had a couple of good years before trailing off bad.  At least gus couple of years was against SEC caliber opponents.  A few passes to the TEs is not going to make a silk purse out of a shows ear.

What do you want this 'silk purse' to look like? :)

I agree, it is still 'I will believe it when I see it' for most of us. 

But the changes are different than the past:

Morris is the most experienced and successful OC he has brought in since being hired.

The OL coach has NFL and college experience and success, which Gus has never brought in before.

The TEs he recruited are the best and most he has brought in since running his offense started here. It's a sign that Morris is dictating what he needs in the offense.

The de-recruitment of one QB and the change to other types of QBs they want to bring in is another sign that Morris is changing the types of players he wants to run his offense, not Gus'.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think we’ll use them as much at Arky just bc Arky has inordinately good TEs and relatively bad WRs

I agree with that too.

WHat i am getting at, is that this change in recruiting with TEs, gives me hope that the offense will become for diverse, complex, and unpredictable to defend so That we can win more with offense and more consistent.

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What do you want this 'silk purse' to look like? :)

I agree, it is still 'I will believe it when I see it' for most of us. 

But the changes are different than the past:

Morris is the most experienced and successful OC he has brought in since being hired.

The OL coach has NFL and college experience and success, which Gus has never brought in before.

The TEs he recruited are the best and most he has brought in since running his offense started here. It's a sign that Morris is dictating what he needs in the offense.

The de-recruitment of one QB and the change to other types of QBs they want to bring in is another sign that Morris is changing the types of players he wants to run his offense, not Gus'.

This is where I'm at. Still skeptical but new variables, which you articulate here, have been introduced into the equation. We might end up at the same place, but we'll be taking a different road to get there. 

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Shenaker and JJ Wilson. Nigh I think did everything as an HB.

Some of the catches may have been as a WR(especially Wilson), but the way they moved around, I just kept these two as TEs, even though that may have been generous....

A lot of Wilsons attempts were as a WR

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

To me gus or Chad it is not going to matter. Chad is a carbon clone of gus.  He had a couple good years at clemson before falling off significantly in 2014.  Gus also had a couple of good years before trailing off bad.  At least gus couple of years was against SEC caliber opponents.  A few passes to the TEs is not going to make a silk purse out of a shows ear.

Chad took a carbon clone of the Malzahn offense and advanced it...he made it better with a LOT more advanced passing game. And a LOT of those passes go to TEs. That is something Gus has never done as a head coach. So yes, "a few passes to the TE" will in fact mark a significant change in offensive philosophy. 

Also a couple of good years before falling off significantly? Are you mad?!? Not as in angry but as in crazy?!? EVERY SINGLE SEASON as Clemsons OC their QB passed for more yards than any QB in our ENTIRE 100+ years of playing football.

All but 1 season during his time as OC they had a 1000 yard rusher with backups getting significant yards.

EVERY SINGLE SEASON they had a 1000 yard WR. Which by the way we have had 2 different 1000 yard WRs in our ENTIRE history.

But sure he dropped off. LoL his "falling off significantly" at Clemson would set new benchmarks for seasonal statistics at Auburn. 

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

A lot of Wilsons attempts were as a WR

Chad took a carbon clone of the Malzahn offense and advanced it...he made it better with a LOT more advanced passing game. And a LOT of those passes go to TEs. That is something Gus has never done as a head coach. So yes, "a few passes to the TE" will in fact mark a significant change in offensive philosophy. 

Also a couple of good years before falling off significantly? Are you mad?!? Not as in angry but as in crazy?!? EVERY SINGLE SEASON as Clemsons OC their QB passed for more yards than any QB in our ENTIRE 100+ years of playing football.

All but 1 season during his time as OC they had a 1000 yard rusher with backups getting significant yards.

EVERY SINGLE SEASON they had a 1000 yard WR. Which by the way we have had 2 different 1000 yard WRs in our ENTIRE history.

But sure he dropped off. LoL his "falling off significantly" at Clemson would set new benchmarks for seasonal statistics at Auburn. 

You call me crazy but you make a statement like their quarterback outpassed all our quarterbacks in our 100+ history.  We have historically been a run first team with the exception on the Sullivan years.  However with the Sullivan years he played in 11 games including the bowl clemson played in 13 games including bowl in addition, during Sullivan time 60 to 75 plays a game were the norm and in today's game 85 to 100 plays is the norm so it is no wonder that Clemson quarterback would outpass Sullivan.  

The fist of the matter is that Clemson finished in the top ten in total offense in 2012 2013 but then finished 64 in total offense in 2014.  Furthermore he is a coach that lives by the pass passing yards decreased from around 4500 yards in 2013 to about 3400 yards in 2014.

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

You call me crazy but you make a statement like their quarterback outpassed all our quarterbacks in our 100+ history.  We have historically been a run first team with the exception on the Sullivan years.  However with the Sullivan years he played in 11 games including the bowl clemson played in 13 games including bowl in addition, during Sullivan time 60 to 75 plays a game were the norm and in today's game 85 to 100 plays is the norm so it is no wonder that Clemson quarterback would outpass Sullivan.  

The fist of the matter is that Clemson finished in the top ten in total offense in 2012 2013 but then finished 64 in total offense in 2014.  Furthermore he is a coach that lives by the pass passing yards decreased from around 4500 yards in 2013 to about 3400 yards in 2014.

Having a 1000 yard receiver is not that noteworthy when you 2 to 1 pass to rush team no more than it is unusual to have a 1000 yard rusher when a team is 2 to 1 rush over pass.

17 hours ago, Carnell said:

Run first team historically or not, the FACT of the matter is that every single season his QBs passed for more than ours EVER have. That is a fact and is not up for debate. Last i checked we have had QBs since Sully. Pretty sure we have had another QB win a Heisman... In todays game... Pretty sure Jarrett Stidham passed for the 2nd most yards of any QB in our history in 2017... And his numbers didnt touch those by any Morris coached Clemson QB. That terrible 2014 year you point to... Well they still passed for more than our record best ever. D. Craig holds the record just in case you were wondering. 

And yeah you are correct about the offensive numbers at Clemson. But looking at stats alone doesnt tell quite the whole story. 2014 Deshaun Watson was a true freshman. A less talented QB (Cole Stoudt) started the season as the starter but Watson played significantly. It was how we imagned the Gatewood/Nix situation would play out...with both QBs playing.  The more talented true freshman Watson took the starting job from Stoudt a couple games in and passed for almost 500 yards against a conference opponent. Then early in October, Watson broke a bone in his hand. He missed 3 games. He returned for Georgia Tech only to tear his ACL. 

So the 2014 season you keep pointing to as this putrid offensive outing was filled with craziness. The best QB on the team was a true freshman. They played QB carousel for a few games, the freshman took over only to be injured a couple games later, then came back to tear his ACL... AND THEY STILL PASSED FOR MORE YARDS THAN ANY QB IN OUR ENTIRE HISTORY. 

Archived