Null



Sign in to follow this  
Butthead

Stoops

Recommended Posts

Why did he really leave OU?  Seemed at the time he really wanted to retire -- dad died early, etc.  Then he was rumor for every big job -- open or not.  Now is he coaching in the XFL.  WTF is going on with him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Based on what I've read, he doesn't need the $$, he doesn't seem to need the prestige & accolades but he enjoys coaching, so the XFL is perfect.  Zero pressure while he gets to do what he loves.  Plus, since the season is during the Spring, he can still attend his son's games, in Norman, during the regular football season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Why did he really leave OU?  Seemed at the time he really wanted to retire -- dad died early, etc.  Then he was rumor for every big job -- open or not.  Now is he coaching in the XFL.  WTF is going on with him?

Um, maybe he just needed a break? And/or didn't want to die in Norman, Oklahoma? And now he's doing something fun that he can hit the eject button on whenever he wants?

Seems an oddly intense question about a fairly normal situation. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Butthead said:

Sorry if that was too intense -- just seems odd.  Just think there must be more to the story.

Stoops has always been known as a coach who doesn’t exists for football 24/7. Ive heard from several friends in the Norman area that he is one of those guys who likes spending time with his kids, is active in their schools, doesn’t believe in sleeping in his office, etc...In other words, normal. Spurrier was known for that, too and Bob spent several years learning from him. CFB and the NFL are 24/7  365 jobs if you let them be. I think Bob just chose another way to enjoy football without it controlling every moment of hi life. And having several million in the bank helps make that choice even easier. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Stoops has always been known as a coach who doesn’t exists for football 24/7. Ive heard from several friends in the Norman area that he is one of those guys who likes spending time with his kids, is active in their schools, doesn’t believe in sleeping in his office, etc...In other words, normal. Spurrier was known for that, too and Bob spent several years learning from him. CFB and the NFL are 24/7  365 jobs if you let them be. I think Bob just chose another way to enjoy football without it controlling every moment of hi life. And having several million in the bank helps make that choice even easier. 

That version of things makes sense when you look at the transition from Stoops to Riley. The offense kept on being great and the defense kept on sucking. It was clear that Stoops had been more than happy to delegate, lol. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That version of things makes sense when you look at the transition from Stoops to Riley. The offense kept on being great and the defense kept on sucking. It was clear that Stoops had been more than happy to delegate, lol. 

 

good point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess it's a good thing Stoops didn't come to AU.  This board would bust Tubs' butt for duck hunting after the regular season.....should have been out on the recruiting trail!  How dare a head coach have a life!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, penguin149 said:

Guess it's a good thing Stoops didn't come to AU.  This board would bust Tubs' butt for duck hunting after the regular season.....should have been out on the recruiting trail!  How dare a head coach have a life!!

From 2010-2016- Stoops's last 7 seasons- OU never finished lower than 2nd in the Big 12 in recruiting and finished first a couple of times. They won 10 or more games in 6 of those 7 seasons. They won the Big 12 4 times. They finished ranked in the top 10 of the AP 4 times. 

Some folks like to say... okay, maybe just one person... that Steve Spurrier was successful calling his own plays so that means Gus should call his own plays, too. That is highly illogical. So is this. Duck hunting wasn't the problem. Not getting results was. These guys can have as much free time as they want and spend it however they choose as long as the job gets done. Work smarter not harder, as they say. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

From 2010-2016- Stoops's last 7 seasons- OU never finished lower than 2nd in the Big 12 in recruiting and finished first a couple of times. They won 10 or more games in 6 of those 7 seasons. They won the Big 12 4 times. They finished ranked in the top 10 of the AP 4 times. 

Some folks like to say... okay, maybe just one person... that Steve Spurrier was successful calling his own plays so that means Gus should call his own plays, too. That is highly illogical. So is this. Duck hunting wasn't the problem. Not getting results was. These guys can have as much free time as they want and spend it however they choose as long as the job gets done. Work smarter not harder, as they say. 

I think I'd feel better committing somewhere if I knew my coach had at least somewhat of a life outside of coaching. It's the guys who go 24/7 and expect everyone around them to do the same that would worry me - especially as a parent. It's no wonder Saban's assistants don't stick around very long. Can't imagine being the wife or kids of some of those guys. It would be extremely difficult. I'm glad Gus makes family such a big emphasis. It's healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I think I'd feel better committing somewhere if I knew my coach had at least somewhat of a life outside of coaching. It's the guys who go 24/7 and expect everyone around them to do the same that would worry me - especially as a parent. It's no wonder Saban's assistants don't stick around very long. Can't imagine being the wife or kids of some of those guys. It would be extremely difficult. I'm glad Gus makes family such a big emphasis. It's healthy. 

Yeah. Two schools of thought, I guess. I'm with you on Gus. I *love* that we're this kind of program and not one of the others. And I'd like to think that my kid would want to put playing in a positive culture above all else. But I do get the other side of it. Well, at least one other side of it. The George Pickens side? Nah. But the, say, Derrick Henry or Nick Chubb or Brock Vandergriff or whatever his name is side? For sure. There's a lot of logic in that. But yeah. Try to find some joy and peace in the process if you can. That's how I'd feel, too. I think. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 6:38 AM, Butthead said:

Sorry if that was too intense -- just seems odd.  Just think there must be more to the story.

Bob had to be tired of the constant grind and pressure from the alum/fan base.  They want a NC in Norman and he always came close but could deliver enough.  Looks like Lincoln is still stuck in the same mold over there....sooooo close but can't deliver the big trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this