Emmert the hypocrite

Tigerbelle

16 hours ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Gaming is now a varsity sport for High Schools in some areas.  It is in mine.

So, is there a Most Valuable Thumb award?

18 hours ago, keesler said:

Personally, I ride the fence this issue, I just don't want Auburn to suck hind teet when schools from the west coast are paying and we aren't.

you cannot be that naive.

I mean if you are strictly speaking about the new laws then ok, but if you think for one instant we are crystal clean when it comes to following NCAA rules then i have some excellent oceanfront property in Missouri I'll sell you on the cheap...real cheap...

Because...well... 

RemotePleasantBluebird-size_restricted.gif

On 2/11/2020 at 9:49 PM, LKEEL75 said:

The revenue from television deals seems to say otherwise.  If anything gaming makes the interest grow more and more

..but you trust the outcome(s) less and less.

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

you cannot be that naive.

I mean if you are strictly speaking about the new laws then ok, but if you think for one instant we are crystal clean when it comes to following NCAA rules then i have some excellent oceanfront property in Missouri I'll sell you on the cheap...real cheap...

Because...well... 

RemotePleasantBluebird-size_restricted.gif

I'm strictly speaking of the new laws States have or are getting ready to enact that allows athletes to receive compensation for their likeness/signature, etc.  I'm not naive enough to think Auburn is clean, we run with the big dogs in the SEC and to stay competitive with them we'd have to break rules and do things under the table.  After that Persons fiasco in basketball, who on the staff can be trusted?  

Someone posted Emmert's hypocrisy and said the ncaa should've changed the rules many years ago but didn't do it in order to protect "lil nicky".  I believe the NCAA had no intention of changing rules until they got slapped in the face by the Cali law last Fall.  Like it or not, they have to address it.

With Georgia, Florida, SoCarolina, Kentucky all passing the same legislation as Cali, Alabama better get on board and work on the same laws or it will affect our state schools in recruiting within the next 2 recruiting cycles.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

With Georgia, Florida, SoCarolina, Kentucky all passing the same legislation as Cali, Alabama better get on board and work on the same laws or it will affect our state schools in recruiting within the next 2 recruiting cycles.

Not leaning one way or the other and just looking for feedback, but some would say this is not what our representatives, be it federal or state, should be working on by creating legislation to make legal what the NCAA says is not legal.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, creed said:

Not leaning one way or the other and just looking for feedback, but some would say this is not what our representatives, be it federal or state, should be working on by creating legislation to make legal what the NCAA says is not legal.

Well now, we've got at least one legislative representative working on a law to force males over the age of 50 or those who've fathered 3 biological children in the state of Alabama to have mandatory vasectomy's. 

Sooooo, I think putting a bill on the table to pay student-athletes for their likeness (like over 15 other States have already done) is time better spent by our State government than actually pondering the mandatory clipping of males privates rendering them neutered.   

I'd be curious to see where CFB falls among the state's top economic drivers. I'm guessing it's significant. Not on par with auto factories or anything, but still meaningful. If true, then it's very much in the state legislature's interest to see that the sport/industry remain competitive/profitable. 

Archived