Null

I can't begin to describe how badly I want AU to put on a great performance tonight. I'll always take a W, but I would like a whipping tonight. The problem with that is Bama fits the mold that can give us trouble. They rebound the ball well, shoot good percentages and can make outside shots. IF we are struggling to make shots against this type of team, we struggle. Looking back on our first matchup, we played quite poorly, 21 TOs, 31 PFs, 64 points on 31% shooting from the floor, we missed 13 free throws, Samir had more turnovers than points, McLemore, Cambridge and Flanigan gave us very little, and  Wiley and Johnson were the only bright spots. Despite all that, we closed the game to a single possession with about 10 mins remaining before we couldn't hang in any longer. The biggest problem was nobody had an answer for Lewis on defense, we couldn't keep him in front or stop him from wreaking havoc. That has to improve. 

The good news is we are a different team at home, and that loss to Bama ( and the one after to UF) appears more of a fluke than a formula. We didn't play with our typical intensity or chemistry in either of those games. Unfortunately I was in tuscaloosa to witness the last loss. There was not a single issue that can be identified as the problem last time, it was a culmination in a poor undisciplined effort. Can we be more mentally tough this game and not allow the desire for revenge to overcome our ability to execute? That is really what it comes down to. Samir and J'von need to stay within themselves and not turn the ball over. We need to rebound and defend Lewis better, and most of all we need to play together. Less iso early in the shot clock and more movement. I think we have seen some of the dribble handoffs/weave I suggested weeks ago be utilized to help with the movement and I hope that continues with Wiley rolling to the bucket more than posting up. 

If I had to pick two areas to watch tonight they would be our assist to TO ration (it was 9/21 las game) and our fouls/free throw shooting ( they attempted 7 more and made 12 more last game). Those two areas more than make up the margin we lost by last time. It is less about us needing to shoot good percentages, and more about not hurting ourselves. 

No self-inflicted wounds tonight boys and War Eagle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the loss of Jones is big for us too. They had a lot of success with Jones at the 4 and Reese at the 5 and using Reese in the ball screens with Kira that put us in spots where we couldn’t make a right decision to defend it. Plus, Jones had 14 points and 12 boards in the last game along with being their best defender by a wide margin. 

Without Jones, Reese is playing more 4 and they’re using a traditional, non-perimeter shooting big in Smith or Davis or going really small with essentially four guards and Reese. In either scenario, I think it plays into our hands better. Reese setting ball screens as the 5 is a problem, especially with Wiley guarding him. Mac needs to be better in this game at slowing down Kira than he was last game. 

But when Reese is at the 4, we can protect the basket better with Wiley or Mac guarding their big, and we can switch or defend the ball screen a little easier with a smaller guy guarding Reese. 

It certainly won’t be easy to defend them because they have several guys capable of really hurting us from outside, but I think it gives this game a much different approach with Jones out. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Like 1

We don't run any offense good, we don't iso and we don't weave and dribble drive well when it's set up either. And it's nothing to do with the post, we just don't pass well period. Our offense comes from our defense and that's it. Missed shots and we can get out and run we are great, set up and try to create our own shots we aren't. It's that simple

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We don't run any offense good, we don't iso and we don't weave and dribble drive well when it's set up either. And it's nothing to do with the post, we just don't pass well period. Our offense comes from our defense and that's it. Missed shots and we can get out and run we are great, set up and try to create our own shots we aren't. It's that simple

I agree that we don't pass nearly as well as last year's squad and it's cost us a lot of opportunities.

15 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd be just fine if Isaac wanted to go for a scoring high and grab 12 rebounds tonight. 

I'd also be fine if Samir and J'Von went for 18 each and Wiley had another double-double.

I'd be really fine with both things happening.

Cambridge could go off too again and I wouldn’t mind it. 

27 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd be just fine if Isaac wanted to go for a scoring high and grab 12 rebounds tonight. 

I'd also be fine if Samir and J'Von went for 18 each and Wiley had another double-double.

I'd be really fine with both things happening.

I'm just fine with the things you'd be just fine with, as long as being just fine gets AU the W...

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I agree we aren’t good in the half court, but I do think the guard weave has helped the stagnant half court offense. Nothing is more effective than unpredictable true movement. 

I think our movement is best when we go small at the four. Maybe Cambridge has earned some more time in the floor and we will see that lineup more this game.