Prohibition is almost over

McLoofus

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Terrible idea for football imo. Makes sense for other sports. 

What's the difference?

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

What's the difference?

The only difference I can think of is that way more people go to football games, so the reduction in alcohol related issues will be much more dramatic like it has in other stadiums that have gone wet. 

Biscuits is coming from a different angle than the pearl clutchers on this, but I think he'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The only difference I can think of is that way more people go to football games, so the reduction in alcohol related issues will be much more dramatic like it has in other stadiums that have gone wet. 

Biscuits is coming from a different angle than the pearl clutchers on this, but I think he'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

It was an honest question, I didn't really have any intent other than to get his opinion.

Haven't some schools reported less alcohol related issues after going wet due to slowing down pre-game binge drinking?

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It was an honest question, I didn't really have any intent other than to get his opinion.

Haven't some schools reported less alcohol related issues after going wet due to slowing down pre-game binge drinking?

Oh, I know. Hope my response didn't come across as insulting to you or ptb.

You are correct. Stadiums that have gone wet have seen significant reductions in alcohol related incidents. 

What certain folks seem to think is that there is a large percentage of fans who 1) have not historically consumed alcohol at games and have not historically consumed large amounts of alcohol before games and who 2) will start overindulging at games once alcohol is legally available in the stadium. When in truth the pre-game binge drinking that leads to most problems will decline and there will exist the same barriers to overconsumption- mainly time and cost- that exist in every other stadium.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, I know. Hope my response didn't come across as insulting to you or ptb.

You are correct. Stadiums that have gone wet have seen significant reductions in alcohol related incidents. 

What certain folks seem to think is that there is a large percentage of fans who 1) have not historically consumed alcohol at games and have not historically consumed large amounts of alcohol before games and who 2) will start overindulging at games once alcohol is legally available in the stadium. When in truth the pre-game binge drinking that leads to most problems will decline and there will exist the same barriers to overconsumption- mainly time and cost- that exist in every other stadium.

No worries man.  TBH, I'm ambivalent about the issue until I can no longer bring my plastic flask in.

The environment does make a difference. I admittedly was against this, but if adults can't control themselves then kick their asses out. I will say I would never make it through a Milwaukee Brewers game if I didn't have a spotted cow to my left and right.

Also: Thanks Fiserv for this free koozie with my water.

0D76574E-44DA-47C4-A222-6E0D8CA08318_1_201_a.jpeg

Yeah there’s some pretty good data to support that binge drinking and incidents go down when beverages are served, so I’m not against the idea, per se...I just think the issue is more nuanced than a simple yes/no situation.  Remember that my viewpoint is colored from a medical perspective, so I can’t help but to be a bit apprehensive about football venues serving drinks. 

In environments like the arena or baseball with lower crowds, it can be controlled a bit better. 80k+ many of which are underage seems to be inviting trouble. I would think we would try it in scholarship seating or somewhere more controlled first.

I don’t think the general public has any idea how many pts our local hospital sees for alcohol related events (intox and trauma etc) during a football weekend. Also, I think most people underestimate how much chronic alcoholism and people absolutely destroying their lives with alcohol that I see on a daily basis. That said, I’m not trying to advocate NO alcohol, I just hope that there’s a reasonable approach. In JHS it’s just going to be a much larger issue than the smaller venues.

Finally, I’m interested to see a lawyer sue the University when a client is over served by the stadium or an underage student gets served, etc. I think it’s an invitation for trouble in many cases.

it makes perfect sense financially tho and makes for a more interesting game. I’m gonna have to petition for nice mixed red to be served.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The environment does make a difference. I admittedly was against this, but if adults can't control themselves then kick their asses out. I will say I would never make it through a Milwaukee Brewers game if I didn't have a spotted cow to my left and right.

Okay, so if I'm ever at an event where they're serving Spotted Cow, I might become a liability. I do have to be honest about that.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

They sold alcohol at Plainsman Park last year. They had a tent you paid $5.00 to get in and had to stay in the tent area with your drink. 

Seems fair to have to stay in am enclosed area to drink your beer. I mean, you have to go to an enclosed area to get rid of it. :)

Maybe we can add alcohol to the fan shirt color scheme each week: 

White out: Beer

Blue shirt: Whiskey

Orange shirt: Tequila

Lets go all in and make it interesting. 🥃🍸🍺🍹

Instead of alcohol sales, maybe just push cannabis, like a Jimmy Buffett concert, and even the players can enjoy....the....uh.....

tenor.gif

Just not a good idea at all.  Of age students buying it for under age students and it will be impossible to enforce.  The university is going to be in a precarious situation legally when some under age person gets hurt.  

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Agreed on that one. Love me some spotted cow! Didn't know another Milwaukee person was on here!

Years ago, the AD at the Univ. of Florida received a call on Monday from a fan after the game on Saturday to complain that the cost for a Coke was a dollar more than the previous year...AD Foley was unaware of the increase, but told the caller he would check on it...Foley contacted the head of concessions and asked about the price increase, he said yes they  increased the cost....then Foley asked how much did it effect our sales???? I don't know exactly the numbers we sold, but we made $25,000 more than last year....Foley said, just asking...oh by the way, keep the price in effect....the point being, when a school can make $$$$, they will always support anything bring $$$ into the department....maybe state, that a $1.00 from each sale will go to building a new football complex....

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

What's the difference?

80+ thousand fans on the road after leaving the stadium well "lubricated."  I hope (and think it likely) there will be strict guidelines about not serving fans who are already oozing excess grease from their fittings...

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

don’t think the general public has any idea how many pts our local hospital sees for alcohol related events (intox and trauma etc) during a football weekend.

I think the biggest problem with that regard is that we have like one ER in a 25+ minute radius lol 

It's honestly pathetic how little we've put into the idea of "hospitals" in this area 

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Just not a good idea at all.  Of age students buying it for under age students and it will be impossible to enforce.  The university is going to be in a precarious situation legally when some under age person gets hurt.  

The problem with this train of thought, is that you ARE at least capping how much alcohol those under age students can ingest. Under age students that are going to drink end up drinking alot more when you leave them to their own devices versus giving them a leash. Im thinking the football env more than basketball, but we have a ridiculous amount of students who pregame to carry through them 4 hour games, and that's FAR more than they could possibly afford or be given at a stadium. 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The problem with this train of thought, is that you ARE at least capping how much alcohol those under age students can ingest. Under age students that are going to drink end up drinking alot more when you leave them to their own devices versus giving them a leash. Im thinking the football env more than basketball, but we have a ridiculous amount of students who pregame to carry through them 4 hour games, and that's FAR more than they could possibly afford or be given at a stadium. 

Fair point. Let’s hope everyone really thinks everything through. 

Archived