Prohibition is almost over

McLoofus

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think the biggest problem with that regard is that we have like one ER in a 25+ minute radius lol 

It's honestly pathetic how little we've put into the idea of "hospitals" in this area 

New standalone ER being built in Auburn with opening Spring 2021. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a drinker but I see good arguments both ways. It would be nice to be able to down a couple more in the stadium before kickoff and maybe halftime. But I don’t want to spend excessive time in the urinal and 7-8-9$ per beer...... I’ll survive without it for 3 hours. 

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

New standalone ER being built in Auburn with opening Spring 2021. 

I'm aware but it's certainly ridiculous it has taken this while. As someone who had to drive from essentially the university to 15ish minutes out to EAMC, another more Auburn centric ER should've been prioritized over some of the construction atrocities they've committed since 2017

I think they should've at least put the battery in someone's back to keep a 24 hour med clinic open along the stretch coming off the interstate. Having like 3 all within 10ish minutes of each other and all of them being closed by 8 unnerves me. 

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Instead of alcohol sales, maybe just push cannabis, like a Jimmy Buffett concert, and even the players can enjoy....the....uh.....

tenor.gif

@aubiefifty just ordered his tickets. 

Scratch that, Fifty is opening the concession stand with exclusive distribution. 

10 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

80+ thousand fans on the road after leaving the stadium well "lubricated."  I hope (and think it likely) there will be strict guidelines about not serving fans who are already oozing excess grease from their fittings...

Nah. They won't be "well" lubricated. Not from a few beers over a 3 1/2 hour period. 

The concern will remain around binge drinking before and after the game, which is likely to go down once folks can casually enjoy a beverage during the game.

I mean, y'all do know that there are hundreds of professional stadiums and arenas around the country- and thousands around the world- where this has already been going on for decades, right? I really wonder if some of y'all have ever been to a professional sporting event?

Good discussion 👍. I'm in support of it, personally.

Would be interesting to see how other school's/communities have been impacted by doing the same in recent years. 

Curbing the binge drinking before games is a big deal - just have to wonder what effect it will have on it.

13 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Instead of alcohol sales, maybe just push cannabis, like a Jimmy Buffett concert, and even the players can enjoy....the....uh.....

tenor.gif

Food concession sales would double easily.

16 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

No worries man.  TBH, I'm ambivalent about the issue until I can no longer bring my plastic flask in.

Always loved venues that allowed a sealed bottle of water.  Get out the meat injector, pull down the label inject full of vodka or rum and tape and fix label.

The cost of the alcohol alone could and theoretically will lower the amount consumed inside the stadium. I’m not rich and when I go to games that serves, I’m capped at about two beers each for me and the misses because they’re usually 9-10$ that adds up quick. 

not an argument for or against the selling of alcohol, but it’s just as easy for said underage kid to sneak in airplane bottles or even a pint into the game as it would be getting someone to buy them a beer

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

The cost of the alcohol alone could and theoretically will lower the amount consumed inside the stadium. I’m not rich and when I go to games that serves, I’m capped at about two beers each for me and the misses because they’re usually 9-10$ that adds up quick. 

not an argument for or against the selling of alcohol, but it’s just as easy for said underage kid to sneak in airplane bottles or even a pint into the game as it would be getting someone to buy them a beer

And I sometimes do that for concerts just to avoid the cost and inconvenience of buying drinks on premises. 

By the way, since I posted the OP and have been obnoxiously opinionated in this thread... I should state that I 100% support sensible measures such as discontinuing sales after the 3rd quarter, limits on how many beers one person can buy at a time, special considerations for the student section, etc. It won't be hard for Auburn to identify and implement these measures. Again, this is all already extremely common and successful. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And I sometimes do that for concerts just to avoid the cost and inconvenience of buying drinks on premises. 

By the way, since I posted the OP and have been obnoxiously opinionated in this thread... I should state that I 100% support sensible measures such as discontinuing sales after the 3rd quarter, limits on how many beers one person can buy at a time, special considerations for the student section, etc. It won't be hard for Auburn to identify and implement these measures. Again, this is all already extremely common and successful. 

At Ole Miss, the student section is literally barricaded (or used to be) from the rest of the stadium. We had our own dedicated entrance and security. If you wanted to walk over to the rest of the stadium - to sit with family, for instance, you had to go through a check point showing you had a ticket to the other seats. You had to pass through the same checkpoint if you wanted to come back to the student section, and you couldn't bring drinks back in from the rest of the stadium. If Auburn did this, no one would have to worry about students buying beer. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

At Ole Miss, the student section is literally barricaded (or used to be) from the rest of the stadium. We had our own dedicated entrance and security. If you wanted to walk over to the rest of the stadium - to sit with family, for instance, you had to go through a check point showing you had a ticket to the other seats. You had to pass through the same checkpoint if you wanted to come back to the student section, and you couldn't bring drinks back in from the rest of the stadium. If Auburn did this, no one would have to worry about students buying beer. 

I thought I remembered JHS being like that in the mid 90s when I was there. Definitely had to go in through our very own pat-down entrance. But I also remember meeting my folks out in the concourse during games. 

Regardless, since it's wine and beer, I can't imagine it will be too much of a problem of students going to another part of the stadium, standing in line, paying all that money, then smuggling large quantities of fluids (vs. airplane bottles/flasks) back to their seats. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I thought I remembered JHS being like that in the mid 90s when I was there. Definitely had to go in through our very own pat-down entrance. But I also remember meeting my folks out in the concourse during games. 

Regardless, since it's wine and beer, I can't imagine it will be too much of a problem of students going to another part of the stadium, standing in line, paying all that money, then smuggling large quantities of fluids (vs. airplane bottles/flasks) back to their seats. 

Yeah I don’t see the underage issue like many others do here. It’s an issue with very simple solutions, IMO. 

17 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

They sold alcohol at Plainsman Park last year. They had a tent you paid $5.00 to get in and had to stay in the tent area with your drink. 

..which probably meant ppl binged in the tent before going back to their seats....

We shall see. 

the “pro stadiums do it” argument is completely different than a collegiate event imo.

It’s happening, so it’s really a moot point, and again I’m not against it...I just think we underestimate the carnage that comes with alcohol in many cases...our culture has treated it rather flippantly, and we pay the price for it. At least it gets people thinking.

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

..which probably meant ppl binged in the tent before going back to their seats....

I don't know too many folks who binge on overpriced, watered down beer.

15 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Can we get some portajohns or renovations to account for the uptick in pee?  Lines are already turrible 

All the extra conce$$ion$ revenue will pay for some very nice restrooms. 

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't know too many folks who binge on overpriced, watered down beer.

Agree, overpriced, watered down, wait lines,  and often luke warm. We have plenty of folks at the games snockered, during and leaving. Will not effect them a bit. They will continue to smuggle the flask in. Can see the guy that would truly enjoy a beer or two during the game appreciating availability.

No big deal here.  

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nah. They won't be "well" lubricated. Not from a few beers over a 3 1/2 hour period. 

The concern will remain around binge drinking before and after the game, which is likely to go down once folks can casually enjoy a beverage during the game.

I mean, y'all do know that there are hundreds of professional stadiums and arenas around the country- and thousands around the world- where this has already been going on for decades, right? I really wonder if some of y'all have ever been to a professional sporting event?

:bow:

I don't see why Auburn serving alcohol would be any different than LSU/Mizzou/aTm/Arky serving last season almost the very minute the SEC lifted the ban. 

Hell, if I can buy an $8 beer at a Montgomery Biscuits game or ATL Falcons or at the Master's in Augusta then there's no reason I can't buy it at JHS.  

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

:bow:

I don't see why Auburn serving alcohol would be any different than LSU/Mizzou/aTm/Arky serving last season almost the very minute the SEC lifted the ban. 

Hell, if I can buy an $8 beer at a Montgomery Biscuits game or ATL Falcons or at the Master's in Augusta then there's no reason I can't buy it at JHS.  

Thank you! 

At Braves games, they'll sell you beer right at your seat! Golf tournaments last all freakin' day!

I won't disagree with PTB about a general cultural approach to alcohol that needs recalibrating, but being able to have a beer at a game is not an extension of that. 

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Agree, overpriced, watered down, wait lines,  and often luke warm. We have plenty of folks at the games snockered, during and leaving. Will not effect them a bit. They will continue to smuggle the flask in. Can see the guy that would truly enjoy a beer or two during the game appreciating availability.

No big deal here.  

During September and early October luke warm would be welcomed compared to hot, which will be what you have if you don't guzzle it quickly. 

I'm excited about the concept even though I definitely wouldn't be able to afford whatever they charged and most of the time it's too hot outside for me to mix in drinking. Plus it's loud, it's way worse to spill than soda, etc.

However, if the university benefits from it any way than I'm a supporter. Maybe it could help offset ticket costs and make season tickets affordable for a teacher again? No? Okay.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

During September and early October luke warm would be welcomed compared to hot, which will be what you have if you don't guzzle it quickly. 

I can’t or won’t do hot or lukewarm. I love beer. But it must be damn near frozen. 

Archived