Prohibition is almost over

McLoofus

It doesn't bother me if they add it. Just don't spill it on me or my kids while jumping up and down. I've had a beer bath before and I don't recommend it. Makes for a miserably LONG drive home, especially when it's a loss.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the A&M vs Bama game this year (yeah, yeah I know) and sat in an area that sold hard liquor as well as beer.  No one was drunk or out of their mind.  Just a normal game atmosphere with over 100k in the stands.  I think some folks are clutching pearls a bit too much about this.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I went to the A&M vs Bama game this year (yeah, yeah I know) and sat in an area that sold hard liquor as well as beer.  No one was drunk or out of their mind.  Just a normal game atmosphere with over 100k in the stands.  I think some folks are clutching pearls a bit too much about this.

How could you tell?:dunno:

Seriously though like anything else the times when a problem arises from this it will be front page news, otherwise it won't be thought about after a short time and the novelty wears off. 

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

JH wouldn't be any different. There will always be the potential of "that one" that takes it too far(which exists even in a dry JH). I just don't see it bringing mass pandemonium, fights in every section, Bama fans getting thrown across sections, etc. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I can’t or won’t do hot or lukewarm. I love beer. But it must be damn near frozen. 

Keep an ice chest on back of my Truck Alex. Works well for bottled water and great to slip a few beers into. Not a Yeti. If someone needs an Igloo enough to steal one they can have it.

31 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Keep an ice chest on back of my Truck Alex. Works well for bottled water and great to slip a few beers into. Not a Yeti. If someone needs an Igloo enough to steal one they can have it.

Same here 

7 hours ago, keesler said:

:bow:

I don't see why Auburn serving alcohol would be any different than LSU/Mizzou/aTm/Arky serving last season almost the very minute the SEC lifted the ban. 

Hell, if I can buy an $8 beer at a Montgomery Biscuits game or ATL Falcons or at the Master's in Augusta then there's no reason I can't buy it at JHS.  

I would probably take out LSU of this statement of how we could be any different from them.  😅  I don’t think our fans want to be like them and their reputation of how they treat others.

Last home game I attended, a drunk azzzz spewed vomit over a dozen people, including me. A solid whack in the nuts and he was out cold, but the nasty stench -- I was out as well. Never went to another game. That was long ago and many, many dollars lost by AU. I'm not a prohibitionist, but I have no interest in dealing with drunks. Personally, don't care if they serve beer in the stadium of not. I won't be there. I'll cheer from my sofa.

Ive attended a lot of college games on the left coast who did sell alcohol during games. 

It was a disaster there and until proven otherwise i feel it will be a disaster here. 

There is nothing like having full beer spilled on you and having your kids spit on by the same fanbase as you. 

Sorry... The idea just brings up terrible memories of why i stopped going to Oregon games while living so close to Autzen i could feel the eruptions when Oregon scored. 

6 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm not a prohibitionist, but I have no interest in dealing with drunks. Personally, don't care if they serve beer in the stadium of not. I won't be there. I'll cheer from my sofa.

That's where I'm at too. I enjoy a nice cold beer from time to time but amazingly I can go three whole hours without one. I get that it is more revenue and I'm not against it but I just don't have to have a beer to enjoy a football game. Times change and people do too. When I was younger I probably would have been all in. 

6 hours ago, AURex said:

Last home game I attended, a drunk azzzz spewed vomit over a dozen people, including me. A solid whack in the nuts and he was out cold, but the nasty stench -- I was out as well. Never went to another game. That was long ago and many, many dollars lost by AU. I'm not a prohibitionist, but I have no interest in dealing with drunks. Personally, don't care if they serve beer in the stadium of not. I won't be there. I'll cheer from my sofa.

You discontinued your financial support of Auburn because there was a drunk person at a game? Huh. Not judging and I'll never tell another man how to spend his money as long as it's not hurting anyone. Just interesting to me. 

7 hours ago, AURex said:

So what you are saying is that people were at an AU game drunk even during stadium prohibition.

Image result for gifs thinking

Seriously people...  There have been people drinking at college games for ever.  Just as people will smoke weed at concerts and any number of other things.  So what if AU makes a little money off what people are already doing.  Yes there will be some drunks at the game.  Same as there are now.  Yes the alcohol will be very expensive and as usual the mass consumption of beer will likely cause those people to get up and go to the bathroom.  If they want to spend their money for the seat and spend their time in the bathroom then that is their business.  Chances are better than average they were gonna be doing the same anyway.  Yes it sucks to have those people around you.  Especially if they puke every where, but even in this example it is proof that people are going to do this anyway.  AU selling it is not starting nor stopping this phenomenon.

Personally I am not for selling alcohol at the stadium.  One thing is we already have major dehydration issues at the stadium and alcohol could exacerbate the problem.  I also just would not want to do anything to tarnish the image of how well Auburn fans treat others in the stadium.  Alcohol could potentially change this.  If we do indeed sell alcohol, one suggestion I may make it to make the beer/wine/spirits incredibly expensive to where there is a high barrier of entry and would deter ingesting massive quantities of cheep alcohol in the stadium.  Do this and make water bottles extremely cheap so if you are low in cash, the easy decision to make is to go for the water.

I understand fans pre-game really hard and ingest a lot of alcohol before going into the stadiums, but really the fans that do this are the students, the underage students in particular.  If you sell alcohol in the stadiums it would not change this binge drink problem one bit.  The students are still going to binge drink before because they are underage and can't buy alcohol, and the ones that can would rather drink their cheap beer beforehand than drink the super expensive beer in he stadium.  Buy a $15 beer in the stadium, or buy a $20 rack of Natty Lite from Kroger.  As a college student the choice is clear.

I think this is going to be a lot of ado over very little.  The broke-a** kids will continue to binge in the parking lot before the game, and the adults who would actually be attracted to $11.00 watery Bud Lite will struggle to get a buzz.   This won't affect the actual percentage of drunks (and I know they are there) in JHS much one way or the other.

Pro tip:  sit up high in the stands....drunks can't make it up that far 😉

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Personally I am not for selling alcohol at the stadium.  One thing is we already have major dehydration issues at the stadium and alcohol could exacerbate the problem.  I also just would not want to do anything to tarnish the image of how well Auburn fans treat others in the stadium.  Alcohol could potentially change this.  If we do indeed sell alcohol, one suggestion I may make it to make the beer/wine/spirits incredibly expensive to where there is a high barrier of entry and would deter ingesting massive quantities of cheep alcohol in the stadium.  Do this and make water bottles extremely cheap so if you are low in cash, the easy decision to make is to go for the water.

I understand fans pre-game really hard and ingest a lot of alcohol before going into the stadiums, but really the fans that do this are the students, the underage students in particular.  If you sell alcohol in the stadiums it would not change this binge drink problem one bit.  The students are still going to binge drink before because they are underage and can't buy alcohol, and the ones that can would rather drink their cheap beer beforehand than drink the super expensive beer in he stadium.  Buy a $15 beer in the stadium, or buy a $20 rack of Natty Lite from Kroger.  As a college student the choice is clear.

Couple of things here.

1) The drunks aren't only students.  If you think that, I beg you to check out the stalls in the men's bathroom sometime.  Loaded with empty liquor bottles.

I'll even out myself here.  Went to three AU games this year.  Had beer as an option for one (vs Oregon) and no beer at the other two (at UF and vs UGA).  Which game do you think I drank the least at for the day?  Answer: Oregon

2) Other schools have shown that having beer available at games has actually reduced issues.  Fewer arrests, fights, etc.  West Virginia saw a monster reduction in alcohol related incidents in and around the stadium once they started selling beer.

3) The dehydration thing is a bit of a red herring.  Went to a Yankees game last year and it was nearly 100 in NYC.  The team actively encouraged people not to drink beer and instead go for water due to the heat.   Made at least 10 announcements about it before and during the game.  And for the most part, people were smart and drank water or lemonade.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Couple of things here.

1) The drunks aren't only students.  If you think that, I beg you to check out the stalls in the men's bathroom sometime.  Loaded with empty liquor bottles.

I'll even out myself here.  Went to three AU games this year.  Had beer as an option for one (vs Oregon) and no beer at the other two (at UF and vs UGA).  Which game do you think I drank the least at for the day?  Answer: Oregon

2) Other schools have shown that having beer available at games has actually reduced issues.  Fewer arrests, fights, etc.  West Virginia saw a monster reduction in alcohol related incidents in and around the stadium once they started selling beer.

3) The dehydration thing is a bit of a red herring.  Went to a Yankees game last year and it was nearly 100 in NYC.  The team actively encouraged people not to drink beer and instead go for water due to the heat.   Made at least 10 announcements about it before and during the game.  And for the most part, people were smart and drank water or lemonade.

Image result for pearl clutching gif

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Couple of things here.

1) The drunks aren't only students.  If you think that, I beg you to check out the stalls in the men's bathroom sometime.  Loaded with empty liquor bottles.  True, but compare it to the minis left in the student section after a game and it is night and day.

I'll even out myself here.  Went to three AU games this year.  Had beer as an option for one (vs Oregon) and no beer at the other two (at UF and vs UGA).  Which game do you think I drank the least at for the day?  Answer: Oregon  Fair.

2) Other schools have shown that having beer available at games has actually reduced issues.  Fewer arrests, fights, etc.  West Virginia saw a monster reduction in alcohol related incidents in and around the stadium once they started selling beer.  No one told LSU.  :lol:

3) The dehydration thing is a bit of a red herring.  Went to a Yankees game last year and it was nearly 100 in NYC.  The team actively encouraged people not to drink beer and instead go for water due to the heat.   Made at least 10 announcements about it before and during the game.  And for the most part, people were smart and drank water or lemonade.  I see what you are saying, but if you take alcohol out of the equation completely it is not even an option.  that is why I suggested the high barrier of entry in high alcohol prices.  I also believe alcohol dehydrates you faster than anything else.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:36 PM, weagl1 said:

Just not a good idea at all.  Of age students buying it for under age students and it will be impossible to enforce.  The university is going to be in a precarious situation legally when some under age person gets hurt.  

Before I turned 21, I never had a prob finding someone to buy. Never needed to enter a football stadium to find them. 

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

That's where I'm at too. I enjoy a nice cold beer from time to time but amazingly I can go three whole hours without one. I get that it is more revenue and I'm not against it but I just don't have to have a beer to enjoy a football game. Times change and people do too. When I was younger I probably would have been all in. 

There's more to the story than just increased revenue. Independent thinking suggest there's just as many pros as there are cons. How about a game of listing your pro and con.

2 minutes ago, creed said:

How about a game of listing your pro and con.

See, this guy gets it. He said "pro" and "con", singular.

Con:

Like any time something new is rolled out, there will be procedural issues experienced early on. The melt over that is going to be annoying as hell.

Pro:

Literally everything else

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

See, this guy gets it. He said "pro" and "con", singular.

Con:

Like any time something new is rolled out, there will be procedural issues experienced early on. The melt over that is going to be annoying as hell.

Pro:

Literally everything else

Pro:

I get to choose.

Con:

More trash, where people who don't no how to clean up after themselves will leave in the stands or throw somewhere on campus. (My big pet peeve)

6 minutes ago, creed said:

There's more to the story than just increased revenue. Independent thinking suggest there's just as many pros as there are cons. How about a game of listing your pro and con.

I'm pretty sure it's all about the revenue or they wouldn't be doing it. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You discontinued your financial support of Auburn because there was a drunk person at a game? Huh. Not judging and I'll never tell another man how to spend his money as long as it's not hurting anyone. Just interesting to me. 

No, I quit going to games -- thus lost revenue by Auburn. I still contribute to Auburn every year.

10 minutes ago, creed said:

Pro:

I get to choose.

Amen.

Con:

More trash, where people who don't no how to clean up after themselves will leave in the stands or throw somewhere on campus. (My big pet peeve)

I'd hope that it wouldn't lead to more plastic cups exiting the stadium, but I suppose that's very possible. Trash in the stands... that's an interesting thought. I imagine that people will continue to deal with their trash- or not- as they always have, but maybe there will be more trash? 

Archived