Okoro Injury Status (Threads Merged)

Maverick.AU

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the linked article. Gives a little insight into the rotation discussion that was going on yesterday

Okoro questionable for Mizzou

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports
Senior Editor

AUBURN | Bruce Pearl is not ruling out Isaac Okoro for Saturday’s game at Missouri, which is probably the best possible news for Auburn’s talented true freshman.

Okoro injured his hamstring at the end of regulation in Wednesday night’s 95-91 overtime win over Alabama.

“To give you an update on Isaac, he did not practice yesterday,” Pearl said. “We will work out before we travel to Missouri and I don’t know what his status will be. At this point he’s questionable. Obviously he’ll need to practice before he plays. When that happens I’ll let you guys know. He’s got a hamstring pull and, you know, he’s working really hard to get back but we won’t rush it.”

Okoro is receiving treatment for a pulled hamstring.

Okoro is receiving treatment for a pulled hamstring. (John Reed / USA TODAY)

Okoro is Auburn’s second-leading scorer averaging 13.1 points per game. He’s also averaging 4.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.0 steal and 1.0 block per game.

Pearl said he’ll rely on several players to pick up the slack if Okoro can’t play Saturday including Danjel Purifoy, who practiced Thursday after returning from the flu to play nine minutes against the Tide, Anfernee McLemore, Allen Flanigan and Devan Cambridge.

“Danjel, if he can play, he and Anfernee play the four and the five, Devan plays the two and the three, Allen plays the three, so we've got people in those positions, and we'll have to see how it goes. Just see how it goes,” Pearl said. “Honestly, if we're without (Isaac), other guys got to step up and be able to find a way.”

Auburn, 22-2 overall and 9-2 in the SEC, plays at Missouri Saturday at 5 p.m. CT on ESPN2.

Honestly I would rest him.  Let him practice to move the muscle around but that's it.  We need him more for both tournaments, even if it costs us a few games.

Let him rest, it's ok if we drop a few games without him as long as we get him as close to 100% as possible for the post-season.

Come on...suck it up and get back out there....that's what our coaches told us back in the day...we didn't even know what a hamstring was....we always played thru the pain.....kidding aside, do what  is best for him and the team....if he doesn't play, I still have confidence we will WIN!!!!

We definitely need to sit him against Miz if there is any doubt. It will be good to give the others time to work some. We can afford to drop a couple if need be and still get a 4 or 5 seed at worst. We saw what happened with Chuma last year and Mac the year before in the tournament. We need to be full speed by SEC tourney time. 

I don't think he'll play against Missouri but I also don't think we'll need him. 

Both players are in their top 4 in scoring and Tillmon is one of their best rebounders.

11 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I don't think he'll play against Missouri but I also don't think we'll need him. 

Both players are in their top 4 in scoring and Tillmon is one of their best rebounders.

That was nice of them to be so sportsmanlike. 😁

• WarTiger changed the title to Okoro listed as questionable for Missouri

When he went down I was questioning whether he would play again this season. I suppose it's encouraging that him playing today was even in the discussion but I'm still doubtful about a quick recovery.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

No, he did not make the trip. 

Also, the fact that he was in auburn arena supporting another AU team is big time in my book. He could have stayed in and he would’ve had a perfectly good reason to. Instead he was continuing to support AU in another way. Big time respect

I saw him fall during the game but did not see a replay.  Did he pull the hammy and then fall as a result? Or did he slip and split his legs while going for the ball and injure it when he slipped?  Thats what it looked like to me during the telecast.  Any body know?

33 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I saw him fall during the game but did not see a replay.  Did he pull the hammy and then fall as a result? Or did he slip and split his legs while going for the ball and injure it when he slipped?  Thats what it looked like to me during the telecast.  Any body know?

I'm pretty sure he pulled as he was falling not before.

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Also, the fact that he was in auburn arena supporting another AU team is big time in my book. He could have stayed in and he would’ve had a perfectly good reason to. Instead he was continuing to support AU in another way. Big time respect

Oh I’m sure it’s his Auburn spirit that has him out supporting the gymnastics team 😉

It’s great to hear he is walking without a crutch and that they are being very careful about bringing him back. Get well soon Okoro! 

38 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Oh I’m sure it’s his Auburn spirit that has him out supporting the gymnastics team 😉

It’s great to hear he is walking without a crutch and that they are being very careful about bringing him back. Get well soon Okoro! 

<laughs> I thought practically the same thing when I read that but not quite as diplomatically as you put it.

18 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Let’s get some bench guys some minutes.

I'd love to see 7 minutes of Jaylin at the 4 today.  AF probably gets the start at the 3 with Cambridge coming off the bench.

14 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'd love to see 7 minutes of Jaylin today at the 4 today.  AF probably gets the start at the 3 with Cambridge coming off the bench.

I would like to see him also. The few times I have seen him he impressed me.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:43 PM, tigerman1186 said:

Come on...suck it up and get back out there....that's what our coaches told us back in the day...we didn't even know what a hamstring was....we always played thru the pain.....kidding aside, do what  is best for him and the team....if he doesn't play, I still have confidence we will WIN!!!!

In one of my Facebook Auburn groups, a guy who likes to complain made the statement "champions play through pain." He then followed it up by defending his comment when called out about it. SMDH

Archived