Okoro Injury Status (Threads Merged)

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

It sounds like, if he plays at all, and doesn't aggravate his hamstring until then, he will play some, but it will be measured minutes.

And the other key, is if he is NOT 100%, how effective will he be?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, steeleagle said:

It sounds like, if he plays at all, and doesn't aggravate his hamstring until then, he will play some, but it will be measured minutes.

And the other key, is if he is NOT 100%, how effective will he be?

If I had to guess we will hold him out 1 more game and then he will be back for next weeks mid week game. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hearing good thinks about being able to play. We shall see

I’m fired up about watching you! What is the strength of your game at this point? They finally offered enough PBR to lure you into the lineup? This is gonna be the best damn basketball-watching Saturday I can remember: Golf torches UT in an AU win then Baylor-Kansas later on. WWWWWOOOO!!!!! LET’S GGGGOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I’m fired up about watching you! What is the strength of your game at this point? They finally offered enough PBR to lure you into the lineup? This is gonna be the best damn basketball-watching Saturday I can remember: Golf torches UT in an AU win then Baylor-Kansas later on. WWWWWOOOO!!!!! LET’S GGGGOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny

koro returns to practice, questionable vs. Tennessee

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Isaac Okoro

Auburn forward Isaac Okoro against Arkansas during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020, in Fayetteville, Arkansas. (AP Photo/Michael Woods)AP

Isaac Okoro returned to practice for Auburn, marking a promising step in his return from a hamstring injury, but remains questionable for No. 13 Auburn’s home game against Tennessee.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said Friday that Okoro, who is dealing with a pulled right hamstring, was able to practice for the first time Thursday since sustaining the injury during last week’s overtime win against Alabama. While Okoro’s return to practice is encouraging, Pearl noted the freshman forward is still not 100 percent but was able to move around at practice.

“His status for Saturday is just sort of still pending,” Pearl said. "But at least he did practice.... Again, we’re approaching it with an abundance of caution. Simply, if you’re in a practice situation and you’re able to be in control of your movements, then that’s a real positive thing for his rehabilitation. When you get into a game and you’re just reacting to things, that’s when things like a pulled muscle, you know, you just can’t quite ever duplicate that in practice. We’ll see how he does.”

Okoro injured his hamstring toward the end of regulation during Auburn’s 95-91 overtime win against Alabama last week. After losing control of the ball in transition, the Tigers’ starting small forward tumbled to the ground near Auburn’s bench and remained down on the court for several moments before getting up and limping to the locker room. He did not return to the game due to the pulled hamstring, though he did not sustain any structural damage to the muscle.

The likely future first-round NBA Draft pick has been sidelined since, missing each of Auburn’s last two games and being withheld from practice while his hamstring takes time to heal. Okoro did not travel with the team to Missouri last weekend, when Auburn lost by 12 in Columbia, Mo., but he made the trip to Athens, Ga., on Wednesday and was in uniform on the bench despite being ruled out of the game. Auburn went on to lose to Georgia, 65-55, marking the team’s second two-game this season and dropping the Tigers to 0-2 without Okoro, as the team has had difficulty finding answers without its best player.

“The thing about commenting too much on how we’ve missed him, there’s just — no matter how you phrase it, it sounds like you’re making excuses, so I don’t even want to talk about it," Pearl said. "Isaac is incredibly valuable to us on both the offensive and defensive end; his man never scores, so put him on whoever you’re going to put him on at Georgia, at Missouri or against Tennessee, and that guy’s not scoring. He’s our best help defender, taking charges, getting vertical, ending possessions with rebounds and things like that, and then offensively he’s a really tough cover, another breakdown guy that can get to the rim, and so we miss him a lot.”

Okoro, who averages 13.1 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game, will practice again on Friday ahead of Saturday’s 11 a.m. tip-off against Tennessee (15-11, 7-6) at Auburn Arena. He will then be reevaluated and his status determined before the team takes the court.

“I’m 100 percent for whatever he’s going to do, whatever his next move is, whether that’s playing this game or next game, I’m 100 percent with him," senior guard Samir Doughty said. "It’s about him taking care of his health, so that’s what we’re focusing on first, because it’s bigger than these one or two games. So whenever he’s ready, we’ll be ready.... Definitely looking forward to having him back. Like I’ve said a few times prior to this, he’s one of my favorite players to play with. He just has a great feel for the game, a great IQ. He’s great offensively and defensively, and I feel like he’s always going to make the right play.

"So a guy like that; you always want to play with players like that. But it’s about him getting his health right, first. That’s our first priority; making sure he’s capable of going at 100 percent at the same time.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Hoping we can stay ahead of Ole Miss next week and be able to use Okoro only for a few minutes at the time to get his game back a bit. Save him for the last year end push and Tournaments.

Gotta love Bruce

"The thing about commenting too much on how we’ve missed him, there’s just — no matter how you phrase it, it sounds like you’re making excuses, so I don’t even want to talk about it," Pearl said. "Isaac is incredibly valuable to us on both the offensive and defensive end; his man never scores, so put him on whoever you’re going to put him on at Georgia, at Missouri or against Tennessee, and that guy’s not scoring. He’s our best help defender, taking charges, getting vertical, ending possessions with rebounds and things like that, and then offensively he’s a really tough cover, another breakdown guy that can get to the rim, and so we miss him a lot.”

39 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Gotta love Bruce

"The thing about commenting too much on how we’ve missed him, there’s just — no matter how you phrase it, it sounds like you’re making excuses, so I don’t even want to talk about it," Pearl said. "Isaac is incredibly valuable to us on both the offensive and defensive end; his man never scores, so put him on whoever you’re going to put him on at Georgia, at Missouri or against Tennessee, and that guy’s not scoring. He’s our best help defender, taking charges, getting vertical, ending possessions with rebounds and things like that, and then offensively he’s a really tough cover, another breakdown guy that can get to the rim, and so we miss him a lot.”

I do love Bruce. He's not about excuses. And I like how he isn't trying to rush Okoro's return to the lineup. AU is in the dance. Get Okoro healed up in time for the SEC Tournament and the dance. Smart coach!

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

humbled and speechless

you got some skinny legs golf but i love the old school keds...........

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

he was laying it up, shooting around during halftime, looked good but wasnt going all out running or nothing.

The most I saw Okoro  jump was when Jaylin Williams dunked after passing the ball to himself off the backboard!

10 hours ago, Grumps said:

The most I saw Okoro  jump was when Jaylin Williams dunked after passing the ball to himself off the backboard!

That play got the crowd back in the game. I believe it was very important in the comeback it may have been the catalyst the team needed.

40 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That play got the crowd back in the game. I believe it was very important in the comeback it may have been the catalyst the team needed.

Jaylin definitely deserved the game ball for the Tenn win. He was making plays all over the court. Getting in passing lanes and providing instant offense. Question is can he do it again? That seems to be the hurdle our freshmen are struggle to get over. But if nothing else i think he has guaranteed himself minutes the rest of the season. 

EDIT: I'll also be a little surprised if Okoro is not back in the lineup for the ol miss game. Looking forward to seeing him back out there!

28 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Jaylin definitely deserved the game ball for the Tenn win. He was making plays all over the court. Getting in passing lanes and providing instant offense. Question is can he do it again? That seems to be the hurdle our freshmen are struggle to get over. But if nothing else i think he has guaranteed himself minutes the rest of the season. 

EDIT: I'll also be a little surprised if Okoro is not back in the lineup for the ol miss game. Looking forward to seeing him back out there!

I agree it has been hard for the freshman to be consistent. Flanagan has provided quality D multiple times has had one game where he provided quality O and has been close with some nice drives that he did not quite finish he is getting closer. Cambridge has now had two games where he provided a lot of O and in this game had some key shots and worked the boards hard he is coming on. I remember Harper and Brown and the difference between 1st year and 2nd year same with Mac before his injury.  Bruce coaches them up.  Williams is going to be our Horace Spencer with his hustle and effort but with better Offensive skills.  Having Okoro out now may actually help this team in the NCCA tournament as it is giving these guys the PT they need to develop we have taken some lumps but we saw some improvement with the lumps..  The more they can give us during the tourney and helping to keep our starters fresh the better chance we will have.

Now we need these guys to help us when we are away from the Jungle that is the next step they need to make.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I think we see him some tomorrow night and should have him full go in Lexington.

You are probably right but I am assuming that Bruce is looking at the big picture  which is SEC Tourney and NCAA Tourney and will err on side of caution as opposed to playing him if any doubt he is rally safe to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived