Okoro Injury Status (Threads Merged)

Maverick.AU

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

you guys apparently have a higher depiction of Auburn on the road than I do lol 

It's more about when Edwards is on his teammates don't usually help much.

47 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

you guys apparently have a higher depiction of Auburn on the road than I do lol 

Honest to goodness, I have no idea what to expect in this game tomorrow. I don’t know if the showing at Mizzou is the new norm without Okoro or of it was just dead legs and no energy playing a team we overlooked. 

On paper, I think we’re better than UGA, even without Okoro. But I don’t know that the difference is much. We’re similar shooting teams, but statistically we rebound and defend better. It’s not going to be a cake walk though. And we have to have everyone contribute in some way to win this game. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

It's more about when Edwards is on his teammates don't usually help much.

we've allowed teams with less talent surrounding their stars to do damage, I dont think this would hold with the way our defense has played

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Honest to goodness, I have no idea what to expect in this game tomorrow. I don’t know if the showing at Mizzou is the new norm without Okoro or of it was just dead legs and no energy playing a team we overlooked. 

On paper, I think we’re better than UGA, even without Okoro. But I don’t know that the difference is much. We’re similar shooting teams, but statistically we rebound and defend better. It’s not going to be a cake walk though. And we have to have everyone contribute in some way to win this game. 

It may be some slight difference but I think they have us in some favorable spots. Our guard defense has been just horrible in the last month, at least as far as the guys not being covered by Okoro. And I think Hammonds is about as good as Watford, if not a lil bit better, who looked almost unstoppable when he matched up with anyone not named Okoro, as well. I don't think Purifoy played in that LSU game, so maybe he can help there, but I just keep going back to us not being good at scoring for incredibly long stretches and not being a particularly good defense as of late. That should further compound Wednesday IMO

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

we've allowed teams with less talent surrounding their stars to do damage, I dont think this would hold with the way our defense has played

And UGA has had those games where Edwards has gone For many points while his teammates didn’t help much against worst defenses than hours so it goes both ways.

14 hours ago, gravejd said:

Cambridge will probably get the call as well

As badly as I want to beat UGA, I would be okay with sitting Cambridge this game even if it costs us the win.  I am still annoyed he thought it was perfectly fine to step on another players leg who was on the ground.

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It may be some slight difference but I think they have us in some favorable spots. Our guard defense has been just horrible in the last month, at least as far as the guys not being covered by Okoro. And I think Hammonds is about as good as Watford, if not a lil bit better, who looked almost unstoppable when he matched up with anyone not named Okoro, as well. I don't think Purifoy played in that LSU game, so maybe he can help there, but I just keep going back to us not being good at scoring for incredibly long stretches and not being a particularly good defense as of late. That should further compound Wednesday IMO

I agree on the defense being horrible. Even with Okoro is wasn't very good and without him we allow a poor shooting team like mizzou to go off for 85 pts. And that was with 2 of their starters out? I'm not feeling too confident about us going into uga and holding Edwards and Hammonds in check unless the dawgs are already packing it in for the season. But maybe with Okoro out Edwards losing some motivation to play hard? 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

As badly as I want to beat UGA, I would be okay with sitting Cambridge this game even if it costs us the win.  I am still annoyed he thought it was perfectly fine to step on another players leg who was on the ground.

It was a stupid play he did out of frustration and it was the correct call to send him to the lockers for the remainder of that game. I personally was not that put off by it. It was a casual step and not a stomp so i don't think he was trying to injure the guy or anything. If i was Pearl he gets a stern talking to and has to run some extra drills to remind him of his bad decision. I hope to see him play tonight.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I agree on the defense being horrible. Even with Okoro is wasn't very good and without him we allow a poor shooting team like mizzou to go off for 85 pts. And that was with 2 of their starters out? I'm not feeling too confident about us going into uga and holding Edwards and Hammonds in check unless the dawgs are already packing it in for the season. But maybe with Okoro out Edwards losing some motivation to play hard? 

It was a stupid play he did out of frustration and it was the correct call to send him to the lockers for the remainder of that game. I personally was not that put off by it. It was a casual step and not a stomp so i don't think he was trying to injure the guy or anything. If i was Pearl he gets a stern talking to and has to run some extra drills to remind him of his bad decision. I hope to see him play tonight.

Mr Obvious here...someone has to fill the void.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I'm not so sure about it being a casual step.  If you look at the video he intentionally stepped on his leg.  When you intentionally do that there is nothing casual about it.  If it were casual or by accident Cambridge would have immediately stopped and redirected his foot and not followed through on the step, all while looking down on exactly where he wanted to place his foot.  Doing that could have potentially hyper-extended Pickett's leg and torn something.  You just can't do that.  

I'm not so sure about it being a casual step.  If you look at the video he intentionally stepped on his leg.  When you intentionally do that there is nothing casual about it.  If it were casual or by accident Cambridge would have immediately stopped and redirected his foot and not followed through on the step, all while looking down on exactly where he wanted to place his foot.  Doing that could have potentially hyper-extended Pickett's leg and torn something.  You just can't do that.  

“Casual” vs. “egregious”. 

I was not saying it was an accident. I think he meant to step on him and i agree thats not ok. But i also don't think he was doing to hurt the guy. I think it was more of a screw you type of thing. Had he stomped down on his knee or ankle and i saw an intent to hurt the other player i would agree he should sit longer. Based on that video getting kicked out of the game and some additional sprints is appropriate punishment IMO. We'll see what Pearl decides to do....he may be in agreement with you that Cambridge needs to sit longer. 

5 hours ago, fishepa said:

Didn't our guys have a "captains only" meeting?  That's good for 20 point win by itself.

who are our captains? I never heard before we had captains? Just seniors who are the leaders...

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont want anybody benched under the guise of sacrificing a win, and essentially the trophy, just to prove a point. There's less destructive ways to convey that 

Run him up and down the arena stairs for a good little while, make him realize that’s poor sportsmanship and let it go. The way some were acting in the game thread, you’d think Suh or Burfict was playing. 

Announcers at end of UGA fiasco mentioned that Okoro was dressed and went through warmups. I did not get to see the beginning of the game..hoping it is true. I am glad we did not sacrifice him coming back too early. Maybe this group will have an opportunity to get well when he is back. Here is hoping. BUT, still cannot get over the fact that we had to win 4 overtime games to even have the record we already have. And I believe that all of OT wins were at Home except maybe one.

12 hours ago, au701948 said:

Announcers at end of UGA fiasco mentioned that Okoro was dressed and went through warmups. I did not get to see the beginning of the game..hoping it is true. I am glad we did not sacrifice him coming back too early. Maybe this group will have an opportunity to get well when he is back. Here is hoping. BUT, still cannot get over the fact that we had to win 4 overtime games to even have the record we already have. And I believe that all of OT wins were at Home except maybe one.

I was at the game but did not see warm ups. Watched him get up and down from the bench and move around a bit and he looked ok to me. Hoping that means he is close to game ready

16 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Run him up and down the arena stairs for a good little while, make him realize that’s poor sportsmanship and let it go. The way some were acting in the game thread, you’d think Suh or Burfict was playing. 

Self-righteous indignation is strong in our fanbase. Some fans place more value on that feigned sense of moral superiority than they do the actual well-being of the athletes. 

12 hours ago, au701948 said:

Actually, half of our 4 OT wins were on the road(Ole Miss & Ark). 

if Okoro can’t go Saturday we will have a better idea if we can find ways to win still at home. 

Archived