Going Forward after Missouri Loss (Merged)

Maverick.AU

In the lead-up to the game, CBP said quite clearly and repeatedly that others were going to have to step up.

They didn't.

So we move on, and when Isaac returns, Auburn may be able to win games like Missouri that we can't without him.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/18/2020 at 10:56 AM, Tiger said:

This team will either win a string of games in the tourney or lose in the first round lol. The field is soooo open this year there's no telling what happens. We just have to hope for some fortunate matchups and the committee not trying to bend us over like they did last year.

But as others have said -- this team was supposed to be on the bubble right now considering all that we lost from last season. This season was going to be a bridge year to Phase II of Bruce's tenure at AU. And he's got us sitting at 22-3. Just enjoy what these kids have accomplished and can possibly accomplish. Enjoy the highs and lows of Cambridge and Al Flan as they to figure it out and springboard their careers. Enjoy Wiley becoming the force that he is. Enjoy the fact that we have a mid-major transfer and a 0 star recruit as our starting backcourt who has us in the hunt for an SEC championship. Enjoy Mac coming back from horrific injury and still being able to be a game changing X factor for us more often than not. We didn't have the guy that will likely be our highest drafted player in decades and we looked like it.

I know there are a lot of new basketball fans here so just a friendly reminder that a loss in one random SEC game, on the road, doesn't mean much of anything until it becomes a trend. And even then I wouldn't be sounding alarms until we start dropping games with Isaac back in the lineup. I'm not expecting any wins until IO is back. The Ant Man is going to score 30 on us tomorrow just prepare your emotions, everybody

Bingo. After 25 games, this is just a tough, all around solid team who is vulnerable to the kind of explosive guard play we enjoyed for the last 2-3 years. To be sitting here 22-3 is quite remarkable. We've won ALL the close games. Home and away. Secondly, Doughty and McCormick are basically on an island. There's no reliable backup PG, or halfway dynamic SG behind them. Remember those 2 AND Dunbar coming off the bench last year? They enjoy no such luxury this year and out of necessity have to pace themselves from tip to buzzer. Tip of the cap from me. Difficult to play tight man to man the way Bruce wants without getting gassed on both ends. We're not able to force turnovers like previous years. We're playing with house money right now.

25 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Bingo. After 25 games, this is just a tough, all around solid team who is vulnerable to the kind of explosive guard play we enjoyed for the last 2-3 years. To be sitting here 22-3 is quite remarkable. We've won ALL the close games. Home and away. Secondly, Doughty and McCormick are basically on an island. There's no reliable backup PG, or halfway dynamic SG behind them. Remember those 2 AND Dunbar coming off the bench last year? They enjoy no such luxury this year and out of necessity have to pace themselves from tip to buzzer. Tip of the cap from me. Difficult to play tight man to man the way Bruce wants without getting gassed on both ends. We're not able to force turnovers like previous years. We're playing with house money right now.

Yup great post. And I just saw we are guaranteed a top 4 finish in the conference with a first and 2nd round round byes in the SEC Tourney. Prior to the season my own goals for the team was to finish top 4 in the conference, peak late February and into March while winning a few games in Nashville, and win the first weekend of the  NCAA tourney and get to the Sweet 16. I thought that would have been a fantastic, yet attainable follow up year to our Final Four/SEC Championship run with losing so much production.

Right now we have accomplished one of those things and even the peaking in late February is still on the table for us whenever Isaac is able to return.

This has been a great season all things considered. And it's showing the basketball world that we have something sustainable here while also showing top recruits that Bruce can and will mold a talented kid who buys in into a first round pick. Ya gotta love it!

58 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yup great post. And I just saw we are guaranteed a top 4 finish in the conference with a first and 2nd round round byes in the SEC Tourney. Prior to the season my own goals for the team was to finish top 4 in the conference, peak late February and into March while winning a few games in Nashville, and win the first weekend of the  NCAA tourney and get to the Sweet 16. I thought that would have been a fantastic, yet attainable follow up year to our Final Four/SEC Championship run with losing so much production.

Right now we have accomplished one of those things and even the peaking in late February is still on the table for us whenever Isaac is able to return.

This has been a great season all things considered. And it's showing the basketball world that we have something sustainable here while also showing top recruits that Bruce can and will mold a talented kid who buys in into a first round pick. Ya gotta love it!

Just to be clear, we are NOT guaranteed the top 4 yet. Too many games to go for that prediction. The report you are thinking about is we are guaranteed a 1st round bye which all BUT 4 teams also enjoy. 

To get the 2nd day bye too we have to finish in the top 4. 

As to your other comments totally with you on a very good season. We have totally defied the basketball know it alls in the media as to what our record would be. Now we need to not get in any type of slump and win the rest of our home games and win some of our away games before SECT time.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just to be clear, we are NOT guaranteed the top 4 yet. Too many games to go for that prediction. The report you are thinking about is we are guaranteed a 1st round bye which all BUT 4 teams also enjoy. 

To get the 2nd day bye too we have to finish in the top 4. 

As to your other comments totally with you on a very good season. We have totally defied the basketball know it alls in the media as to what our record would be. Now we need to not get in any type of slump and win the rest of our home games and win some of our away games before SECT time.

Ahh, I stand corrected. Thank you for setting it straight. The Twitter world got me again with misinformation lol. Thanks for catching that.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Sometimes wileys hands are allergic to the ball lol

He probably can't believe they are passing to him and he gets surprised, lol.

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

He gets some s***ty passes, tbh. 

I can't blame any of the passes on Wiley. If they do get it to him, it's a bad pass or it's late. The only thing I can blame on him is some of the rebounds he misses.

Lol, Wiley child have a 20 10 game easy if we knew how to play our roles on the team....I wouldn't be able to play pick up with our guards sometimes....I'd surely would have slapped somebody by now

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

I can't blame any of the passes on Wiley. If they do get it to him, it's a bad pass or it's late. The only thing I can blame on him is some of the rebounds he misses.

The two passes I’ve seen to him this half have been pretty ugly. 

WTH kind of shot was that floater in the middle?  Who was that?  Did not even look like a basketball move. 

Archived