Staff Changes

AU-24

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/analyst-defensive-staffer-leaving-auburn

Two behind-the-scenes support staffers have left the Auburn program.

Special teams analyst Jonathan Rutledge and defensive graduate assistant Charles Moore have left for gigs at Nebraska and Kansas, respectively.

Rutledge is now the senior special teams analyst for Scott Frost's staff at Nebraska, the team officially announced Tuesday.

Auburn yesterday added another analyst to the staff in Will Bryant, a longtime offensive staffer under now-Auburn offensive coordinator Chad Morris. 

Bryant was a graduate assistant during Morris' first head-coaching gig at SMU, then followed him to his two years at Arkansas. Bryant will serve as an assistant quarterbacks coach to Morris on Gus Malzahn's staff.

Why can't we pull a former CFB HC or NFL Asst coach to staff the analyst spots when needed?  A couple of our biggest rivals are doing it, why can't we?

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

Why can't we pull a former CFB HC or NFL Asst coach to staff the analyst spots when needed?  A couple of our biggest rivals are doing it, why can't we?

Is it that big of a deal? What do analysts even do?

47 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Is it that big of a deal? What do analysts even do?

My guess....

At Auburn, the no-name GA's & high-school coaches that are hired..... probably Analyze. 

At bammer, the former big-time college football head-coaches that are hired...... probably Recruit.

28 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My guess....

At Auburn, the no-name GA's & high-school coaches that are hired..... probably Analyze. 

At bammer, the former big-time college football head-coaches that are hired...... probably Recruit.

Can analysts be allowed to recruit? I thought there were guidelines and restriction as to what 'staff' can recruit.

37 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Can analysts be allowed to recruit? I thought there were guidelines and restriction as to what 'staff' can recruit.

I'm certain that you're correct regarding guidelines & restrictions and all colleges & universities are supposed to abide by them.

I'm also sure the PTB (REC) at bammer follows them too.... :rimshot:

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

My guess....

So basically they don’t really do anything

Just now, Sizzle said:

So basically they don’t really do anything

I'm sure that "officially" they watch film, make notes, suggest....whatever is necessary.  That's probably it....officially.

However, we know better than that....don't we?

8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

My guess....

They cannot recruit off campus, or contact prospects off campus. They cannot be in contact with prospects by phone or other electronic means. There are whistle blower fans of rival schools who would turn them in immediately. I suppose they can drop a word or two on a kid that's visiting the campus, but that's about it.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

They cannot recruit off campus, or contact prospects off campus. They cannot be in contact with prospects by phone or other electronic means. There are whistle blower fans of rival schools who would turn them in immediately. I suppose they can drop a word or two on a kid that's visiting the campus, but that's about it.

Yessir, I know.  I thought it was pretty clear that I was being a wise-guy (you know....since, at bammer rules don't apply) and just trying to get a laugh or two.  But I'm sure the poster who asked a legit question thanks you. 🙂

IMO, one of the big reasons why the Tigers looked like they were out of gas so many times,  is because of Auburn's strength & conditioning coach. Ryan Russell. Many times over the past 4 years, our defense just couldn't go any longer. I've always thought that we needed a better s&c coach. BTW, after being uat's s&c coach, he's leaving to become uga's s&c coach. That's a huge hire for them. Wish Gus had tried to hire that dude.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

IMO, one of the big reasons why the Tigers looked like they were out of gas so many times,  is because of Auburn's strength & conditioning coach. Ryan Russell. Many times over the past 4 years, our defense just couldn't go any longer. I've always thought that we needed a better s&c coach. BTW, after being uat's s&c coach, he's leaving to become uga's s&c coach. That's a huge hire for them. Wish Gus had tried to hire that dude.

He is going to be their special teams coach; an on the field position.

21 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

See the bolded part? No, he's not going to UGA to do S&C. That's why I rated a facepalm. You are the most consistently amusingly wrong poster on the forum I can recall.

On 2/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, auburn4ever said:

I would have put the blame on the amount of 4 and out's that kept the defense on the field  not to mention it felt (so maybe not reality) like teams had good success converting the 3rd and long on us all year

15 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

I would have put the blame on the amount of 4 and out's that kept the defense on the field  not to mention it felt (so maybe not reality) like teams had good success converting the 3rd and long on us all year

It did indeed feel that way, but I figured that was always a bit mythical. More mythical than I expected. I just checked and we finished 7th in the country in 3rd down defense in terms of percentage converted, and 11th in total 3rd down conversions surrendered. Now, that doesn't account for distance needed to convert, and definitely doesn't account for *when* the third downs got converted- if we only gave up five 3rd down conversions, but they were all 3rd and long and they all happened in the 4th quarter against LSU/uga/bama....- but still, 7th and 11th in the country. We didn't give up many 3rd down conversions. 

You're totally right on the first part and you were kind to offer a legit response to the post. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It did indeed feel that way, but I figured that was always a bit mythical. More mythical than I expected. I just checked and we finished 7th in the country in 3rd down defense in terms of percentage converted, and 11th in total 3rd down conversions surrendered. Now, that doesn't account for distance needed to convert, and definitely doesn't account for *when* the third downs got converted- if we only gave up five 3rd down conversions, but they were all 3rd and long and they all happened in the 4th quarter against LSU/uga/bama....- but still, 7th and 11th in the country. We didn't give up many 3rd down conversions. 

You're totally right on the first part and you were kind to offer a legit response to the post. 

Thanks for checking that out.   Must be my emotions when watching the game getting the best of me. 

10 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Thanks for checking that out.   Must be my emotions when watching the game getting the best of me. 

Not just you, not by a long shot. In fact, I'd venture a guess that the prevailing sentiment in the fanbase is that we gave up a lot of 3rd-and-longs. And, it's still possible that a significant percentage of the 3rd down conversions we did give up were for a lot of yards, and in the big spots that tend to shape perception. 

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see, though, that we generally did that well on 3rd down. 

16 minutes ago, auskip07 said:
42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Another thing to consider is the schedule.  

Sure that low 3rd Down conversation rate looks great when playing the Kent States & Ole Misses of the schedule.  

What's MUCH more telling are the statistics against the true challenges on the schedule.... the Florida's, LSUs & the critical rivalry games.

It ALL adds up during the season but those critical games against teams with equal (or greater) talent is where we separate the statistical wheat from statistical chaff.

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Another thing to consider is the schedule.  

Sure that low 3rd Down conversation rate looks great when playing the Kent States & Ole Misses of the schedule.  

What's MUCH more telling are the statistics against the true challenges on the schedule.... the Florida's, LSUs & the critical rivalry games.

It ALL adds up during the season but those critical games against teams with equal (or greater) talent is where we separate the statistical wheat from statistical chaff.

Yeah, I was trying to touch on that in my post. 

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Now, that doesn't account for distance needed to convert, and definitely doesn't account for *when* the third downs got converted- if we only gave up five 3rd down conversions, but they were all 3rd and long and they all happened in the 4th quarter against LSU/uga/bama

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Now, that doesn't account for distance needed to convert, and definitely doesn't account for *when* the third downs got converted- if we only gave up five 3rd down conversions, but they were all 3rd and long and they all happened in the 4th quarter against LSU/uga/bama

I think that "triggered" (I hate that word now, LOL!) my long.....overly-wordy....reply.  But yeah, you're on it!

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Auburn hires Brandon Fisher as defensive analyst

by Steven Taranto

21 hours ago

Auburn University has served a significant role in the Fisher football family, as Trent Fisher - the son of longtime NFL head coach and Tennessee Titans franchise great Jeff Fisher - had once suited up for the Tigers football program as a defensive back. Now, the latest Auburn Football hire brings another Fisher into the fold.

According to a report by Mike Silver of NFL Network, second-generation coach Brandon Fisher has been hired by Auburn to serve as a defensive analyst. Fisher, one of Jeff Fisher's three children, had served as the defensive coordinator at Southern Utah University during the 2019 season after spending much of the decade coaching at the NFL level.

Fisher, a former linebacker at the University of Montana, began coaching as an assistant secondary coach with the Detroit Lions in 2011 before joining his father's staff on the St. Louis Rams. There, he worked his way up to defensive backs coach by the 2015 season, and served in that role until the end of the 2016 season and his father's ouster as Rams head coach. While Fisher had originally planned to join the Cleveland Browns with former Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, he instead opted to take a sabbatical from coaching.

Last year, Fisher re-emerged at the defensive coordinator at Southern Utah, a job which he was led to through connections from the NFL world. When Jeff Fisher played cornerback for the Chicago Bears in the early 1980s, he played alongside former Southern Utah safety Len Walterscheid - whose son Justin became the school's offensive coordinator.

At the college level, Fisher possesses an NFL-style mentality that echoes that of Buddy Ryan, the great defensive mastermind who coached his father as Bears defensive coordinator. According to a 2019 report by Chris Kwiecinski of The Spectrum, Fisher is partial towards players who are "fast and tough" - Criteria that has shades of Buddy Ryan, who long stated that his desire was to have players who played "tough and smart" on defense.

Unfortunately, Fisher's NFL defensive experience wasn't able to change the fortunes of Southern Utah. After following up a 1-10 2018 season with a 3-9 campaign in 2019, both Justin Walterscheid and tight ends coach Teag Whittling were fired by the Thunderbirds. It had also been known since December that Fisher would not return, though he left the program of his own volition in order to pursue other opportunities.

Now heading to Auburn, Fisher will join a staff led by head coach Gus Malzahn, whose defense is led by defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. Under Malzahn, the Tigers finished the 2019 season with a 9-4 record and as the No. 14-ranked school in the country, and finished their year with a loss in the Outback Bowl. The program's most-notable defensive player, defensive tackle Derrick Brown, will not return for the 2020 season as he enters the NFL Draft.

Archived