Null



Sign in to follow this  
Maverick.AU

Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I think that was a reaction to a bad shot rather than a planned self assist. But I still smile. 

It was still a shot that he could follow his miss. Either way, it was a good decision Bc he gave himself options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




BRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCEEEEE!!!!!

 

That is all. War Eagle 🦅 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also can’t stress enough how much of a Jaylin fan I am after this game. This guy came with energy when nobody else had it. He made plays to keep us in the game and kept the morale up. I’m very proud and big tip of the cap to this young man today!

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Bruce told the CBS cameras to leave the locker room and told the team to get their head out of their you know what. .  nice to see them respond. 

Great comeback. Let's keep the home streak going

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I also can’t stress enough how much of a Jaylin fan I am after this game. This guy came with energy when nobody else had it. He made plays to keep us in the game and kept the morale up. I’m very proud and big tip of the cap to this young man today!

I've been high on Jaylin ALL year. I thought he looked really good during the blowout wins and thought he deserved some minutes. Been harping on this for over 2 months or longer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishepa said:

I stopped watching and we went on the 18-0 run. I’ll take credit. 

I started watching right as we started that run, so I’ll share the credit with you. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexava said:

Sucks for him. I remember back in college after the S. Carolina game, one guy in the student section decided to heckle Bruce Ellington asking how it felt to have never beaten Auburn in any sport.

Ruthless

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predicted a 22-9 regular season, that has been surpassed. If all goes well, and we can win at home, maybe 25-6 for the year. To be so low on real BB talent, 25 wins is a roaring success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely forgot/missed the game. Saw we won on secsports.com. Checked the game play by play, and we trailed 54-37 with 14:35 to play 2nd half (seriously?). Saw no Okoro in the box score, and Doughty the only player in double figures. We came up short on free throws and rebounds, but won the game on turnovers, a lot of them. I did notice the scoring was spread around A LOT better. Williams 9 points, no 3s, wow. Maybe, just maybe we have discovered another scoring threat closer to the basket? Tennessee guards, minus Bowden's career day (against us of course), are not that dynamic. Went back and watched the comeback. Happy we won, but man. I agree with others in that Purifoy needs to come off the bench. He's a one trick pony who can't attack the lane. Williams seems to have a little mojo down there. Let him start. We always have trouble with Ole Miss' guards. So pound, pound, pound them with Wiley and Williams until they beg for mercy. Take no prisoners. Doggone it. We owe them for our last home loss a year ago. Out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I started watching right as we started that run, so I’ll share the credit with you. 🤣

I watched all game, can I get some of that credit? :P 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We needed that one! Finally had some guys step up and got some big plays by Jaylin and Cambridge in particular. Those guys are definitely earning more minutes. This is the time of the year you expect those freshmen to start figuring things out. They have a ways to go but Cambridge, Flanigan, and Jaylin look like they can be some really good players with a bit more time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our game was of course on CBS today. Does it bother anyone else that Jim Nantz does not call ANY regular season college bball games all season then calls the Big 10 Tourney final but then gets to call the Final 4 and Natty? That has always bothered the hell out of me. He probaly has already forgotten who Auburn and Bruce Pearl is lol. Freaking casual college bball fan!!!!

Edited by GwillMac6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

So our game was of course on CBS today. Does it bother anyone else that Jim Nantz does not call ANY regular season college bball games all season then calls the Big 10 Tourney final but then gets to call the Final 4 and Natty? That has always bothered the hell out of me. He probaly has already forgotten who Auburn and Bruce Pearl is lol. Freaking casual college bball fan!!!!

CBS only does SEC basketball because they have to. Clearly not a priority for them unless Kentucky is playing. Surprised Clark Kellogg, whom I like, was at the game. The play by play guy was not bad either. Their top guys will be at the Big Ten games. Today was the first time in a long, long time they broadcast a game from Auburn. They always pick our toughest road games, at Kentucky, at Florida, etc. They don't showcase any home games which is always a great show and our best foot forward. Kentucky and LSU, one of them, should have been CBS games. That's what really bugs me. It's like their schedule is locked in or inflexible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Completely forgot/missed the game. Saw we won on secsports.com. Checked the game play by play, and we trailed 54-37 with 14:35 to play 2nd half (seriously?). Saw no Okoro in the box score, and Doughty the only player in double figures. We came up short on free throws and rebounds, but won the game on turnovers, a lot of them. I did notice the scoring was spread around A LOT better. Williams 9 points, no 3s, wow. Maybe, just maybe we have discovered another scoring threat closer to the basket? Tennessee guards, minus Bowden's career day (against us of course), are not that dynamic. Went back and watched the comeback. Happy we won, but man. I agree with others in that Purifoy needs to come off the bench. He's a one trick pony who can't attack the lane. Williams seems to have a little mojo down there. Let him start. We always have trouble with Ole Miss' guards. So pound, pound, pound them with Wiley and Williams until they beg for mercy. Take no prisoners. Doggone it. We owe them for our last home loss a year ago. Out.

Doggone it? Language man, this is a family site. 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

CBS only does SEC basketball because they have to. Clearly not a priority for them unless Kentucky is playing. Surprised Clark Kellogg, whom I like, was at the game. The play by play guy was not bad either. Their top guys will be at the Big Ten games. Today was the first time in a long, long time they broadcast a game from Auburn. They always pick our toughest road games, at Kentucky, at Florida, etc. They don't showcase any home games which is always a great show and our best foot forward. Kentucky and LSU, one of them, should have been CBS games. That's what really bugs me. It's like their schedule is locked in or inflexible.

Clark Kellogg was doing our game because he got demoted a few years back. Grant Hill and Bill raftery do the final 4 and Natty with nantz. Grant Hill I don't think he calls any regular season college ball either. He is doing NBA coverage till march madness and Raftery does big east conference games until he transitions over to CBS for the big ten tourney and March madness.

Great take! Your right we only seem to get our big road games on CBS. We seem to get our ass kicked a lot whenever CBS does a regular season game of ours! Lol. Glad we got one today!  I loooooved the play by play guy today. Loved his energy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was my first game in person all season.  I love Auburn Arena.  The atmosphere is amazing.  It has gotten much better than the few games I saw last year.  TV does not do the noise in that place justice.  It gets so loud in there!!  The Auburn students and fans have created a great home field advantage to assist the players and coaches.   War Eagle!!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great win! I can't help but think how different this team would have been if Rayjon Tucker came here. His shooting would greatly help our slashers and Wiley to get more easy looks at the basket. 

So proud of this team! WDE!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

It was still a shot that he could follow his miss. Either way, it was a good decision Bc he gave himself options

That is something that is lost in today’s game.  Very seldom do you see anybody follow their shot like that.  I was coached, back when we used peach baskets, that the shooter had the best view and idea of where the ball is going. He can tell if the bounce off the rim is going straight back, left or right better than anybody on the court.  But, in today’s game, getting back to play defense is more important. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

That is something that is lost in today’s game.  Very seldom do you see anybody follow their shot like that.  I was coached, back when we used peach baskets, that the shooter had the best view and idea of where the ball is going. He can tell if the bounce off the rim is going straight back, left or right better than anybody on the court.  But, in today’s game, getting back to play defense is more important. 

Heck I can even remember being at the boys club. An old country man who would come coach boys club basketball that had never coached a team in his life always said “foller your shot” lol. Always stuck with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's the case for us or not but I do know sometimes a team will use a strategy with a few guys to run back on defense no matter what. That's if a team is very good at starting their offense off a miss

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know Tennessee isn't that good this year especially after my cousin was hurt but I think Bruce is coaching his butt off this year. We're REALLY lucky to have him as a coach, he's on an entire different level.

I couldn’t agree more!!!!

This team lacks shooters and playmakers, among other things.   But what they do have is grit!  They have taken on Bruce’s personality.   Lots of energy, lots of faith, and lots of grit!!!!   I love this team and I hope these qualities continue to characterize AU basketball (coupled with much more talent moving forward😁)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

 

To do that in a live game.... bravo dude. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.