2021 5* PF Jabari Smith Signs With AU! (Update 11/17/20)

ellitor

5-star PF likes what he sees from first visit to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports
Senior Editor

AUBURN | Auburn on Saturday overcame a 17-point second-half deficit to beat Tennessee, 73-66, and Class of 2021 five-star big man Jabari Smith was there to see it.

“It was great,” Smith said. “They were down a little bit, but they fought back. I like how they fought back and came out with a win. The crowd was really good and really loud.”

to5j9u2aqxytig1p7z9y

Smith, who is ranked the No. 5 overall player in 2021, is being recruited to Auburn by Ira Bowman. Smith met with Bowman and Bruce Pearl during the visit.

“I like both of them,” Smith said. “Coach Bowman is a real good guy, very motivational. He’s really a good coach and good man. Coach Pearl is, too. He’s a good coach, a good guy. He really pushes his players. He’s the best coach anyone could ask for.”

Smith also was able to see Auburn’s campus and facilities.

“The whole visit was good,” Smith said. “My dad and uncle came with me and we really liked it. We watched the basketball game and got to see a little bit of the campus and facilities. It was my first time at Auburn and it was really good.”

Smith said Saturday was the first, but won’t be the last time he visits Auburn.

“I’ll be back,” Smith said. “I like Auburn. I like everything about it, especially the coaches and the family bond that everyone has.”

Smith lists Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Georgia Tech as some of his favorites. He visited Georgia last weekend and was scheduled to visit Tennessee next weekend, but will reschedule due to his high school playoffs.

Smith isn’t in a rush to make his college decision.

“I’m going to take my time,” Smith said.

Rivals ranks Smith, who is 6-feet-9 and 195 pounds, the No. 2 power forward in the 2021 class.

• Thanks 3

I watched some of his film young man is very good but will need some bulking up as there are some big men in the SEC who like to bang.  He has the frame to grow and is an ideal PF if he can add some muscle. Would be a huge get for Auburn.

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I watched some of his film young man is very good but will need some bulking up as there are some big men in the SEC who like to bang.  He has the frame to grow and is an ideal PF if he can add some muscle. Would be a huge get for Auburn.

I saw one stat where it said he is up to 210. That's a pretty good start. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I saw one stat where it said he is up to 210. That's a pretty good start. :dunno:

I could be wrong but with his frame I don't think so.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I could be wrong but with his frame I don't think so.

It's hard to tell. In this same thread, RIvals has him at 195, and 24/7 has him at 210. A 15 lb difference tells me who knows what he weighs? 

But I agree, looking at his upper body frame, it doesn't look like he can add much more. I couldn't tell what his lower body looks like. for example, if you look at Jaylin Green at 6'7" his upper body looks very slender, but his lower body is stout, and could deal fine with power against power.

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But I agree, looking at his upper body frame, it doesn't look like he can add much more.

I didn’t say or imply that. I just said 210 looks really thin on his frame.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I didn’t say or imply that. I just said 210 looks really thin on his frame.

my bad. My 6th sense isn't working too good today. :)

looks like he has a really nice stroke for a jumper. Can't tell how his inside power moves are. 

• Like 1

He could hide behind a fence post, just looking at the picture. I clicked the video and it says that the video has been pulled so I can't watch him on the court. I think I'll run a search for more video of him

I just watched a video of this guy. He can play the game. Good body control, quick feet and a nice touch on his shot. This guy should be a priority. A few steaks,fries and milkshakes and he is Chuma part ll. 

I may be wrong, won't be the first time, but I have watched a lot of video on Brown and I think this kid may be on the same level as him. It may be kinda' sour grapes because I doubt we have a chance at Brown, and maybe we do for Smith, but this dude is really good.

Edited by doverstutts

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

He could hide behind a fence post, just looking at the picture. I clicked the video and it says that the video has been pulled so I can't watch him on the court. I think I'll run a search for more video of him

I just watched a video of this guy. He can play the game. Good body control, quick feet and a nice touch on his shot. This guy should be a priority. A few steaks,fries and milkshakes and he is Chuma part ll. 

I may be wrong, won't be the first time, but I have watched a lot of video on Brown and I think this kid may be on the same level as him. It may be kinda' sour grapes because I doubt we have a chance at Brown, and maybe we do for Smith, but this dude is really good.

I agree kid is good much taller than Chuma and way thinner but he can play the game.  The video link didn't work but I found the same U-Tube and was able to play it plus some others.  One thing I like probably because I am old he doesn't do a lot of woofing scores and then gets back on D.  I know it is part of the game and almost everybody plays to the audience now but I prefer they let their game do the talking. That said when players do the woofing and all it doesn't upset me and I don't think badly of them I just realize a different generation with different standards neither standard is better or worse just different.

16 hours ago, doverstutts said:

He could hide behind a fence post, just looking at the picture. I clicked the video and it says that the video has been pulled so I can't watch him on the court.

@doverstutts When I embedded the video there was an option to watch it on youtube. Not sure why that option is not there now. I edited the OP to be a link where you can go straight to Youtube & watch it.

• Like 1

2. JABARI SMITH’S CONFUSING RECRUITMENT

Jabari Smith

Jabari Smith (Courtesy of USA Basketball)

For a top-five prospect in the 2021 class, one would assume Jabari Smith would lead a priority recruitment with a number of college basketball's elite programs involved. That hasn't been the case, which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

A 6-foot-9 power forward that boasts a great feel for the game, Smith’s biggest asset is his ability to make shots. Considering that shooting woes, not a lack of talent, oftentimes lead to early March exits, Smith would seem to be an ideal recruit. Think again.

Auburn may be among the early favorites for Smith. The Tigers have stood out with the time investment that they have made and the relationship that Bruce Pearl has developed with Smith and his family. It was strengthened even further over the weekend when he unofficially visited the Plains.

While Auburn could be the team to beat, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Tennessee are also involved. Smith is scheduled to unofficially visit the Vols this weekend.

I don’t expect an early college decision from Smith, but if things were to end right now, Auburn might be where he lands.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 10:22 PM, mad4au said:

Sorry for the duplicity. I should have looked better. But what a get this would be. War Eagle!!!!

How archaic.

• 4 months later...

JHead & Jolivesr from the bunker feel real good where AU stands with 5* Jabari Smith FWIW

• Like 1

Jabari would wreck it in our system. Would love to see him running the 4 for us

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

JHead & Jolivesr from the bunker feel real good where AU stands with 5* Jabari Smith FWIW

Any chance the G-League is going after him as well?

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Sure they will, about 2-3 weeks before he commits anywhere, totally submarining everyone, especially us.

Edited by AlaskanFAN
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Per the same 2 guys the G League is not interested in them for next year but I'm not buying that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the G league possibility is why he doesn't have a lot of current interest from blue bloods. Don't want to use the resources to bring him in, thinking he will go anyways.