2021 5* PF Jabari Smith Signs With AU! (Update 11/17/20)

ellitor

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Just curious, why?

I thought we needed a SG or CG more than a PF? aren;t we sitting good w/ Williams and Thor? I'm assuming JS is a 4 position guy.

I think there's a higher chance of Sharife Cooper returning for a 2nd year than Thor returning. That's my personal opinion but I would loooove a Jabari/Thor/Williams rotation in some 3/4/5 combinations.

I'd have loved to plug JD into the backcourt but by the time 2021 rolls around I think Coop will still be at AU, I think Powell becomes the 3rd ball handler, and we will find out whether or not Turbo will be on the team at the end of this season. If he flops then the JD whiff will hurt a lot more IMO

We got 5 crystal balls in the last week and I hope they’re right today! Let’s gooooooo

Edited by toddc

Getting Jabari would be huge for our program. I'm sure it is going to help big time with getting the 1/2 combo guard we need in the class. We all know how big time recruits love to play with other big time recruits. But other than attracting other guys Jabari has a skill set that Pearl has been chasing forever. A big who can be a threat from outside and help stretch the defense. In his sort highlight video I saw he does appear to have some ball handling skills as well as a nice touch. We'll have to see how good his shot is (everyone has a nice looking shot in there highlight vids). 

Really hope we get the commitment today. Come on home Jabari!! 

• Like 3

Even if we get Jabari’s commitment I would temper my excitement for the time being. The G league is still expected to be an obstacle later down the line for us to have to overcome to hold onto him.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Even if we get Jabari’s commitment I would temper my excitement for the time being. The G league is still expected to be an obstacle later down the line for us to have to overcome to hold onto him.

Dammit E, I appreciate the info but that is terrible news. Hoping Jabari prefers the college route to NBA

Guys, every top 5-10 player in the country will be in that discussion for the G-League select team. Just assume for the elite of the elite that it's going to be an option for them.

But TODAY has a chance to be HUGE for our program. A top 5, one and done, elite player committing to AU would be major

• Like 2
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Tiger said:

A top 5, one and done, elite player committing to AU would be major

Only if he follows through & comes to AU, hence the temper the excitement for now.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Only if he follows through & comes to AU, hence the temper the excitement for now.

And I guess that JS would even after committing to us, then wait to sign until the spring when it will be known if the Gleague goes after him and he accepts.

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And I guess that JS would even after committing to us, then wait to sign until the spring when it will be known if the Gleague goes after him and he accepts.

The good thing is only 1 player who had committed and signed with a college program last year backed out of that and went to the G league route (Michigans Isiah Todd). The rest never committed to a school. Only 2 of the top 10 guys from the class of 2020 in the 247 composite went pro and the G league route. And 1 of them Kuminga reclassified from 2021 to 2020 to go pro. 

I am with @Tiger THIS COULD BE A HUGE HUGE HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HISTORIC MONUMENTAL DAY FOR OUR PROGRAM IF BARI COMMITS TO AU TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LFG BAAAAY BAAAAAY!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAR EAGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

If Jabari commits to us this afternoon Bruce will have now 10 of the top 12 all time AU bball commits in the star era for basketball. And all of the three 5 STAR players!!!! WOOO!!! LFG!!!! WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL BABY!!!!!

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

• Like 4
  • Love 4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Boooooom boom boom booming boom 💥 

• Like 2

• Like 1

• Like 1

• augolf1716 changed the title to 2021 5* PF Jabari Smith **Commit to Auburn**
  • augolf1716 pinned this topic

• Like 1

This week has been really hard on me with unemployment and everything. Really needed any bit of good news! WAR EAGLE! And Bruce is the best!

• Like 2

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2