2021 5* PF Jabari Smith Signs With AU! (Update 11/17/20)

ellitor

Just now, gravejd said:

I saw an espn+ article today that had him ranked #5 in the 2022 NBA draft. This kid is gonna be good!!

That's about par for the course. I've seen as high as 4 and as low as 7.

• 3 weeks later...

College basketball's most likely impact freshmen for 2021-22

ByTRAVIS BRANHAM May 5, 11:07 AM 

The final class of 2021 basketball rankings received its final update from 247Sportsand only eight of the 150 prospects remain on the board. With this class set to graduate and begin their next chapters, some teams will be looking to them for another crack at a tournament run while others will be looking to their talents for redemption for the 2021-22 season.

Here is a look at ten prospects who will be needed to have an instant impact when they step foot on campus next season.

1. CHET HOLMGREN | GONZAGA | 7-0, 190-POUNDS | C

It was a historical year for Gonzaga falling just short of perfection, losing in the National Championship to Baylor. The Bulldogs are likely to lose three key pieces to the NBA Draft in Joel Ayayi, Jalen Suggs and Corey Kispert - Kispert being the only one to retain his eligibility.

Gonzaga is still likely to return some big time players in Drew Timme and Andrew Nembhard but Mark Few will be looking to have another crack at the title and Jalen Suggs lifelong teammate - Chet Holmgren - can help them do just that.

Holmgren is a true unicorn prospect standing seven-feet tall, with incredible length, mobility and an elite skillset for the position. He is an elite rim protector and can switch on the perimeter on defense while on offense being able to handle the ball like a guard, pull-up for jumpers with range, pass and punish mismatches around the rim.

Few and his staff already have historically impactful offensive system and plugging Holmgren into that and utilizing him in the vastly creative ways they can, they will be looking to Holmgren to help get them over the hump and bring the title to Spokane.

2. PAOLO BANCHERO | DUKE | 6-10, 250-POUNDS | PF/C

Duke is coming off a rocky 13-11 season which had an abrupt ending due to a covid pause just as things were clicking for the Blue Devils in the ACC Tournament. Regardless, next year Duke will be looking to lock a spot in the NCAA Tournament without the need of an ACC Tournament Championship and will look to the services of Paolo Banchero to do so.

Banchero's body and game is built to have an immediate at the next collegiate level. He's big, strong, physical, athletic, skilled and intelligent. He's a great rebounder and an efficient and effective offensive weapon with a budding perimeter skillset.

Banchero - who ranks as the No. 2 overall prospect exiting high school - produces and gets the job done. Him, alongside Mark Williams and AJ Griffin will be one stout front court but will also be looking to Trevor Keels to further help the Duke program on the perimeter.

3. JABARI SMITH | AUBURN | 6-10, 210-POUNDS | PF

Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers are coming off a self-imposed post season ban and are going to be looking to get back to the postseason in 2021-22. Their best prospect and talent headed to campus next fall, Jabari Smith, will be relied on to help pave the path back to the NCAA Tournament.

Smith is an outstanding talent and exits high school ranked as the No. 4 overall prospect in the class. He possesses great size, length and athleticism to go along with a budding frame that will quickly tack on weight as he gets settled on campus.

Smith is skilled and smart and impacts the game in a variety of ways. He is a high level rebounder, versatile defender and a capable rim protector on the defensive end of the floor. On the offensive end, he runs the floor, can score on the block, has a face-up game, has continued to expand his shooting ability from beyond the stripe and is a good passer for the position.

Smith will prove to be a very reliable player next year and truly is a terrific prospect in his own right.  

Only did top three.

• Thanks 1

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2942585-2022-nba-mock-draft-way-too-soon-predictions-for-next-years-class.amp.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16205052734254&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

I know the source not from a respected origin but still a take.  Jabari @ #4, Thor @ #25, and Flanigan late first round.  3 first round picks.  For reference,  TyTy predicted as early 1st round.  Too bad we missed him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2942585-2022-nba-mock-draft-way-too-soon-predictions-for-next-years-class.amp.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16205052734254&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

I know the source not from a respected origin but still a take.  Jabari @ #4, Thor @ #25, and Flanigan late first round.  3 first round picks.  For reference,  TyTy predicted as early 1st round.  Too bad we missed him. 

I would be really shocked if we didn’t have 3 from this team. I don’t see Kessler being it either, but it’s certainly possible. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, gravejd said:

I saw an espn+ article today that had him ranked #5 in the 2022 NBA draft. This kid is gonna be good!!

We could have four straight years of a first round NBA pick. That is extraordinary.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

Me looking in the basketball section in June.

giphy.gif

hard to wean myself from checking daily, but outside of final confirmation on JT Thor and some more mocks surrounding Cooper, the best thing for Auburn at this point is no further movement tbh. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

hard to wean myself from checking daily, but outside of final confirmation on JT Thor and some more mocks surrounding Cooper, the best thing for Auburn at this point is no further movement tbh. 

I would think the best thing for Auburn would be picking up another guard...

55 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I would think the best thing for Auburn would be picking up another guard...

Yes, if you believe that Desi Sills is gone, which is not official, then the best thing for Auburn would be picking up another guard

If you do not believe in something that is unofficial, then you could think we’ll be fine at the guard position and another one would be a luxury far more than a necessity 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yes, if you believe that Desi Sills is gone, which is not official, then the best thing for Auburn would be picking up another guard

If you do not believe in something that is unofficial, then you could think we’ll be fine at the guard position and another one would be a luxury far more than a necessity 

Fair enough. I didn't realize there was much chance that he'll still be able to transfer in. I hope he is; that would be outstanding.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Fair enough. I didn't realize there was much chance that he'll still be able to transfer in. I hope he is; that would be outstanding.

Probably 35/65 from what I’ve aggregated that it doesn’t work out, but it seems to be a matter of one side not allowing for (and this is my word here) substitution credits to replace some courses and steer him off to the closest major we got that we have 

There’s a way to line the man’s course history with a similar major that some schools would do, but I don’t think Auburn will. Maybe he just takes those necessary courses in a similar major, but he would only have the next mini semester to make that happen, and I think the despair comes in there being a substantial amount of hours. I’ll also attest: big amount of classes offered during spring/fall aren’t offered in summer, which has to also be an obstacle 

maybe they give him leeway on a couple classes and make it realistic that he can put together 5-6 classes. We’ll see! 

• Thanks 1

If you want to see a somewhat similar example of this situation, and one that will likely go a completely different route, watch how Arik Gilbert’s transferring process plays out. 

Im not saying GA is right for what they do in that, or Auburn is wrong if this plays out how it appears it will, but it’s two different philosophies at play (not to get on a high horse and pretend as if Auburn football wouldnt do things differently than Auburn basketball might)

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you want to see a somewhat similar example of this situation, and one that will likely go a completely different route, watch how Arik Gilbert’s transferring process plays out. 

Im not saying GA is right for what they do in that, or Auburn is wrong if this plays out how it appears it will, but it’s two different philosophies at play (not to get on a high horse and pretend as if Auburn football wouldnt do things differently than Auburn basketball might)

Well, even if Desi is able to be added to the team, as we had thought, wouldn't it still be kinda good to get another guard? I mean, we've got five big men and three small forwards already. Are we saving that last scholarship because we think the NCAA might still penalize us with losing one for a year?

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Well, even if Desi is able to be added to the team, as we had thought, wouldn't it still be kinda good to get another guard? I mean, we've got five big men and three small forwards already. Are we saving that last scholarship because we think the NCAA might still penalize us with losing one for a year?

I mean some people do think that, I don't think they really stand to gain anything from getting another ball handler, and it's going to be pretty damn hard to pitch being the 6th guy on the pecking order in that stable to anyone of value. I would go with another small forward personally, but I have a feeling that we're pretty much moving on from this class, with the idea of asking some decent young lad a shore up the bench opportunity if Desi does leave.

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I mean some people do think that, I don't think they really stand to gain anything from getting another ball handler, and it's going to be pretty damn hard to pitch being the 6th guy on the pecking order in that stable to anyone of value. I would go with another small forward personally, but I have a feeling that we're pretty much moving on from this class, with the idea of asking some decent young lad a shore up the bench opportunity if Desi does leave.

This is where I'm at. It's going to be near impossible to get a contributing guard to come here with what we have (assuming Desi stays). Thor would be an amazing add. I think he could get minutes at the 3-5.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll also attest: big amount of classes offered during spring/fall aren’t offered in summer, which has to also be an obstacle 

In college, my wife had to change majors halfway through her stay there due to her original major being cut (she was able to finish the original major of campus as well). She adjusted to getting a business major, but it was a beast to fit it in within 2 years.  She already had basics and carryover classes that led into that already. 

But the biggest issue, being the small school, was as you said some are offered in spring and others in fall.  She was actually taking some perquisites the same semester as the class that follows.  School was very helpful but that obviously made it tough.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

In college, my wife had to change majors halfway through her stay there due to her original major being cut (she was able to finish the original major of campus as well). She adjusted to getting a business major, but it was a beast to fit it in within 2 years.  She already had basics and carryover classes that led into that already. 

But the biggest issue, being the small school, was as you said some are offered in spring and others in fall.  She was actually taking some perquisites the same semester as the class that follows.  School was very helpful but that obviously made it tough.  

I had 1 class my final quarter that was only offered in the fall.  I didn't realize it was only offered once per year until winter quarter started and I couldn't sign up for it.  I took bowling along with it that last quarter.  Didn't need the other credits, just wanted to bowl and drink beer on Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons...lol. Too bad our football team sucked so badly my final fall in 98...

• Love 1

2 hours ago, ArmchairAthlete7 said:

This is where I'm at. It's going to be near impossible to get a contributing guard to come here with what we have (assuming Desi stays). Thor would be an amazing add. I think he could get minutes at the 3-5.

If they can retain Thor (I think the current scholly count also counts him), they literally don’t need anyone else. People don’t seem to like this, but if he returns, he’s going to start and Flan is going to move up to the 2. For one, he’s one of the 3 best players on this team and two...Pearl is someone who likes to put all his best players out there if possible. 

I don’t know about history, but I’d have to think that’s the best front court Auburn has ever fielded, if it were to occur

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they can retain Thor (I think the current scholly count also counts him), they literally don’t need anyone else. People don’t seem to like this, but if he returns, he’s going to start and Flan is going to move up to the 2. For one, he’s one of the 3 best players on this team and two...Pearl is someone who likes to put all his best players out there if possible. 

I don’t know about history, but I’d have to think that’s the best front court Auburn has ever fielded, if it were to occur

Sign me up for a starting five of Zep, Flan, Thor, Jabari, and Kessler. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah, but I rather doubt Thor is coming back, so the point is moot. If he does decide to come back, then yeah, I could see JT moving to the 3, or I could see Jabari playing the 3 and JT playing the 4, because they are very similar players, from what I can tell.

I just really don't expect JT to be playing for Auburn this season.

1 hour ago, Tigerfinz said:

I had 1 class my final quarter that was only offered in the fall.  I didn't realize it was only offered once per year until winter quarter started and I couldn't sign up for it.  I took bowling along with it that last quarter.  Didn't need the other credits, just wanted to bowl and drink beer on Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons...lol. Too bad our football team sucked so badly my final fall in 98...

Best class I took was fencing. My gosh that was fun. My professor was actually one of the Deans of the college, but master knowledge of Shakespeare. We basically had a tourney which I actually ended up winning against my roommate in final lol. But fencing with a Shakespearean master in the main gothic style hallway of our 150 year old building, awesome!

• Love 1