NFL Combine: Auburn players Results

Zeek

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple random, meaningless musings:

1) Did anyone notice the quote Marlon made about not really working out much for most of his AU career? Is that normal? Does it matter? 

2) If Prince is basically the same height as quite quite a few others on the team, why hasn’t anyone called him/us out on it in 4 years? Why didn’t we say Derrick or Sal or Driscoll were 6’7”??

:) 

A bit disheartening to read all these good things about Brown and Davidson, (well, about all our boys in this thread actually) then revisit Auburn's past football season.

Daniel Thomas likes being overlooked but ready to prove he’s ‘1 of the best safeties’ at Combine

Posted Feb 28, 2020

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Daniel Thomas is sitting at a table by himself, tucked away in a corner of Hall K at the Indiana Convention Center, away from most of the attention Friday at the NFL Combine.

On just the other side of a large curtain dividing the main floor from the side tables in the media availability room are the likes of Antoine Winfield Jr. and Xavier McKinney, the former Minnesota and Alabama safeties, respectively, and both expected first-round NFL Draft picks. They’re garnering most of the attention Friday morning during the final round of media interviews at this week’s NFL Combine — and Thomas wouldn’t have it any other way.

The former Auburn safety is used to this by now.

“A lot of people didn’t expect me to be here today, but I’m here and ready to keep proving everybody wrong and just go out there and prove what I can do,” Thomas said. “Like I said, just show people I belong here and that I am one of the best safeties here.”

Thomas has been overlooked for much of his career. He was a three-star safety out of Lee-Montgomery, rated as the 1,532nd-best player in the 2016 class according to the 247Sports Composite rankings, and an 11th-hour edition to Auburn’s signing class that year after the Tigers missed out on Tennessee signee Nigel Warrior.

Since then, Thomas has worked to make a name for himself. He burst onto the scene as a freshman, when he was thrust into duty for an injured Rudy Ford in the 2016 Iron Bowl, twice picking off Jalen Hurts in a losing effort. He was a role player in the secondary as a sophomore at both nickel and safety, and then he was a two-year starter at strong safety to close out his Auburn career.

Now the 5-foot-10, 215-pounder is looking to prove himself yet again, this time at the NFL Combine as he chases his pro football dream.

WalterFootball.com ranks him as the No. 29 safety in this year’s class, with a projection of being selected between the fourth and sixth rounds on the final day of April’s NFL Draft. The Combine profile on Thomas on the NFL’s official site projects him as a likely backup or special teams player in the league, while the scouting report reads like this: “He’s well-built and plays physical football, but he’s not necessarily a punisher. He has a good burst downhill into run support duties, but can be a little inconsistent with his angles. Thomas can cover tight ends and has some ‘big nickel’ experience, but will be better off playing with his eyes forward in short zone or in the box. He has the size, explosiveness and special teams potential to compete for a roster spot as a backup strong safety.”

Thomas feels he’s being overlooked once again, but that’s OK with him; he relishes the role of underdog. It’s why he’s in Indianapolis this week set on proving he’s an NFL-caliber defensive back.

“You get to catch people by surprise,” Thomas said. “I like being slept on because being the underdog, you got a lot to prove. People who are already at the top, they feel like they’re already there, but I’m going to keep working no matter what.”

He hopes to impress NFL teams with his strength — in training he has been able to put up between 20 and 25 reps, the latter of which would be the most by a safety prospect at the Combine in two years — and he thinks teams will be pleasantly surprised by his speed and agility.

“That’s a secret,” Thomas said of his bench projection, “but I feel like I’m going to have one of the highest bench presses of all the safeties. I’m looking forward to it.”

He also wants teams to know he’s ready and willing to play special teams if it means earning his way onto the field. That’s how he got his start at Auburn, and he remained a special teams contributor for all four years on the Plains.

Above all, he’s just eager to prove he belongs on the same field as those top-end prospects like Winfield and McKinney.

“I’m a ballhawk,” Thomas said. “I’m a hard-hitting safety. I’m always around the ball, very instinctive. I’m very confident and consistent…. Whoever drafts me is going to get a great asset to their team.”

4 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

A bit disheartening to read all these good things about Brown and Davidson, (well, about all our boys in this thread actually) then revisit Auburn's past football season.

Meh, I’ve let it go at this point. There is only one team and fan base every year that truly gets to celebrate a season as champs. Anything other than winning it all or at least playing for it all and it’s just varying levels of mediocrity. I’m happy for the players and happy that the program is able to produce nfl caliber players. 

3 hours ago, Paladin said:

DT could be like Darren Bates: on an NFL roster for several years. He’s a great story. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:21 PM, Paladin said:

This pic sums up DBs year: OL with both arms extended and grabbing each side of his shoulder pads. Result=no flag

Former Auburn players' NFL Combine results

Nathan King • AuburnSports

@byNathanKing

Auburn had nine representatives at this year's NFL Combine in Indianapolis, the most of the Gus Malzahn era.

And a few former Tigers may have made themselves some money over the weekend with impressive showings.

Below are the full results from former Auburn players during the four-day NFL scouting event. Auburn's on-campus Pro Day is this Friday, March 6.

Marlon Davidson (DL6) runs the 40-yard dash during the 2020 NFL Combine. (Brian Spurlock / USA TODAY)

P Arryn Siposs

Height: 6-2 4/8

Weight: 213

Hand: 9 2/8

Arm: 32

Wingspan: 76 3/8

40-yard dash: 5.09 (5th out of five P/K)

Bench press: Did not participate

Vertical jump: DNP

Broad jump: DNP

3-cone drill: DNP

20-yard shuttle: DNP

60-yard shuttle: DNP

------

OL Jack Driscoll

Height: 6-4 5/8

Weight: 306

Hand: 9 7/8

Arm: 33

Wingspan: 78 4/8

40-yard dash: 5.09 (4th out of 47 OL)

Bench press: 23 (T-29th of 47 OL)

Vertical jump: 29.5 (T-18th of 44 OL)

Broad jump: 114 (5th of 43 OL)

------

OL Prince Tega Wanogho

Height: 6-5

Weight: 308

Hand: 10 3/8

Arm: 33 4/8

Wingspan: 80 6/8

40-yard dash: DNP

Bench press: DNP

------

DL Derrick Brown

Weight: 326

Hand: 9

Arm: 34 2/8

Wingspan: 80 7/8

40-yard dash: 5.16 (34th of 38 DL)

Bench press: 28 (T-9th of 38 DL)

Vertical jump: 27 (T-29th of 32 DL)

Broad jump: 108 (24th of 29 DL)

3-cone drill: 8.22 (27th of 27 DL)

20-yard shuttle: 4.79 (20th of 26 DL)

------

DL Marlon Davidson

Height: 6-3 3/8

Weight: 303

Hand: 10

Arm: 33

Wingspan: 80 4/8

40-yard dash: 5.04 (T-29th of 38 DL)

Bench press: 21 (T-32nd of 38 DL)

------

OLB Nick Coe

Weight: 280

Hand: 10 2/8

Arm: 33 6/8

Wingspan: 80 6/8

40-yard dash: 4.89 (29th of 30 LB)

Bench press: 21 (T-5th of 27 LB)

Vertical jump: 29 (T-30th of 31 LB)

Broad jump: 116 (T-26th of 31 LB)

------

CB Javaris Davis

Height: 5-8 4/8

Weight: 183

Hand: 8 7/8

Arm: 30 5/8

Wingspan: 73 2/8

40-yard dash: 4.39 (T-2nd of 29 DB)

Bench press: 11 (T-20th of 23 DB)

Vertical jump: 35.5 (T-16th of 24 DB)

Broad jump: 124 (T-15th of 24 DB)

------

CB Noah Igbinoghene

Height: 5-10 3/8

Weight: 198

Hand: 9 3/8

Arm: 31 6/8

Wingspan: 75 1/8

40-yard dash: 4.48 (T-16th of 29 DB)

Bench press: 15 (T-11th of 23 DB)

Vertical jump: 37 (7th of 24 DB)

Broad jump: 128 (T-8th of 24 DB)

------

S Daniel Thomas

Height: 5-10

Weight: 215

Hand: 9 2/8

Arm: 31 5/8

Wingspan: 74 3/8

40-yard dash: 4.51 (7th of 24 S)

Bench press: 24 (T-1st of 22 S)

Vertical jump: 37 (5th of 24 S)

Broad jump: 125 (T-9th of 23 S)

Can't wait to see the 40 times coming out of winter workouts. What a joke.

12 hours ago, fredst said:

Looks to me like Driscoll and Thomas may have really helped their causes, just from a metrics standpoint 

Definitely.

13 hours ago, fredst said:

Looks to me like Driscoll and Thomas may have really helped their causes, just from a metrics standpoint 

Thomas especially, but measurables were never his problem. Coming up on the run when it was a pass is what he needs to fix.

15 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Thomas especially, but measurables were never his problem. Coming up on the run when it was a pass is what he needs to fix.

Hard to fix/teach good “instincts” unfortunately 

Interesting analysis came out this weekend on "LionsWire" after Detroit fans (a pity-worthy group if there ever was one) basically pooped their collective pants after some parts of Derrick's Combine performance. Sorry article is not attached but it does a good job (IMO) of pointing out in a non hysterical manner how Detroit stresses some parts of the Combine for its DLs and is looking at other DLs too. It hints that Brown, though clearly 1st round caliber, may not be an ideal top 3 pick for them.. 

Archived