Future schedule option

AUght2win

Title is WISHFUL thinking. 

But let's make this happen. For both teams, it's really the last major program neither has faced. 

It's bizarre we haven't locked down the Irish for a series. For a myriad of reasons. Firstly, our AD is a former ND athlete. Secondly, these two programs are Under Armour's biggest brands. Thirdly, ND has stated they want more SEC opponents. They've recently played Vandy, a series with UGA, and played Arkansas next year. They also have future series booked with Texas A&M and Alabama.

For some reason, teams are booking these matchups waaaaay farther in advance these days. We now have our "big Power 5" OOC opponent scheduled through 2028 - home and aways with Penn State, Cal, Baylor, and UCLA. 

Here is the only way I could see this working. We go to South Bend in 2024. We currently only have 4 away games slated. And we play Cal at home. Conversely, ND does need another home game that year. And even though they travel to A&M, I think they'd still add us in a home game.

ND pays us a return visit in 2027. We play at UCLA, so again, we could handle adding another big name team to the schedule (barring Chip Kelly turning UCLA into a juggernaut). 

Here is an ND article on it.

https://www.onefootdown.com/platform/amp/2019/6/11/18661191/ridiculous-college-football-history-between-the-notre-dame-fighting-irish-and-the-auburn-tigers-bowl

And here is a little juice to make you want to dome the domers even more.

"Despite finishing the regular season 8-3, Notre Dame did not play in a bowl game. The Fighting Irish turned down an invitation to play the Auburn Tigers in the Independence Bowl, believing that Auburn was an unworthy opponent and that the Independence Bowl was an unworthy bowl destination."

WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too misleading of a thread title.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too misleading of a thread title.

My friend, that was NO accident. People are gonna come here with that burning desire in their heart, and then channel it into passionate emails to our fearless leader Comrade Greene. 

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

https://www.onefootdown.com/platform/amp/2019/6/11/18661191/ridiculous-college-football-history-between-the-notre-dame-fighting-irish-and-the-auburn-tigers-bowl

"Despite finishing the regular season 8-3, Notre Dame did not play in a bowl game. The Fighting Irish turned down an invitation to play the Auburn Tigers in the Independence Bowl, believing that Auburn was an unworthy opponent and that the Independence Bowl was an unworthy bowl destination."

God what an absolute delusional bunch of idiots. Their arrogance is offensive. Lol. Jokes on them since they havent sniffed a natty in ages. Yes I know they played Bama in 2012. But that game was a freakin joke. Ironically they were the ones unworthy of playing in the game. 

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

How Rudy of them to say something like that. 

Would be pretty cool. ND should have these types of games every year to promote their school/brand. No matter who they play people will flock to South Bend because it is like old Yankee Stadium and everyone is ND's rival when they play. Would be very cool to see Auburn in that element.

53 minutes ago, woodford said:

Would be pretty cool. ND should have these types of games every year to promote their school/brand. No matter who they play people will flock to South Bend because it is like old Yankee Stadium and everyone is ND's rival when they play. Would be very cool to see Auburn in that element.

With a ND graduate as our AD and who played for their baseball team, I would have thought he would have already made that call to try to get his Alma Mater to agree to a Home and Home game with us.

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

With a ND graduate as our AD and who played for their baseball team, I would have thought he would have already made that call to try to get his Alma Mater to agree to a Home and Home game with us.

Those season ticket holders would probably make a profit from their whole season just from the Auburn game.

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Title is WISHFUL thinking. 

I don't know... Seems like a normal thread title to me. :poke:

10 hours ago, twilli13 said:

God what an absolute delusional bunch of idiots. Their arrogance is offensive. Lol. Jokes on them since they havent sniffed a natty in ages. Yes I know they played Bama in 2012. But that game was a freakin joke. Ironically they were the ones unworthy of playing in the game. 

ND was arrogant. In their defense, I think they've been humbled quite a bit since then. By 96 or whenever that game was, they still had the taste of national domination. But the BCS era proved that Notre Dame's days as a perennial top 5 power were over. If the game were held today, I imagine they'd walk to Shreveport to play us. 

Honestly, I think ND will slowly go the way of the service acadmies. They, along with Army/Navy, once took advantage of a niche recruiting pitch to reel in top talent. The service academies in the early half of the 20th century were just where the nation's finest and toughest young men went. ND once had the market cornered on Catholic athletes. Now, neither is true. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You and a4e should hang out. 

9 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm ready.

Y'all should take this routine national!

Screw Notre Dame and the horse they rode up on.  We don’t need them we play better teams than them every year.  They are consistently over-rated based on what they did 50+ years ago.  They are no longer relevant the press just builds them up hoping for a magical resurrection that ain’t happening.  Half the teams in the SEC are better than them year in and year out. 

26 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Screw Notre Dame and the horse they rode up on.

Actually it was four horses but yeah, what you said. 

Screenshot_20200228-074243~2.png

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Screw Notre Dame and the horse they rode up on.  We don’t need them we play better teams than them every year.  They are consistently over-rated based on what they did 50+ years ago.  They are no longer relevant the press just builds them up hoping for a magical resurrection that ain’t happening.  Half the teams in the SEC are better than them year in and year out. 

You just made all the arguments *for* scheduling them, lol.

41 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Actually it was four horses but yeah, what you said. 

Screenshot_20200228-074243~2.png

I've found in other forums that I disagree with you on some fundamental issues, and yet I grow to like you more every day. 

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Partially agree, but as someone who loves the history of CFB it would be one of the coolest things I've seen Auburn do. It would be even more exposure and just a monumental thing to do. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've found in other forums that I disagree with you on some fundamental issues, and yet I grow to like you more every day. 

:cheers: Same here. I had a co-worker who used to say "the same but different" all the time. She made me laugh a lot but what she said was true in many things. 

Archived