Softball vs Minnestota 2/28/20

Minnesota a seasoned team that went to the CWS last year; Fiser a top drawer pitcher.  I thought we competed well against them, did better vs. Fiser than I expected.  I didn't see the first couple of innings, so not sure what happened when Jones was out at the plate.  Fiser had a nasty inshoot that she threw for strikes all night; when Handley threw the same pitch as an outshoot in the same place, it was called a ball.  (JMO)  I like McCondichie at second.  We played way better in this ame than the game vs. GASO.  (IMO)

Tough game. @OlderWhiskey, you were correct about the inside pitches to righties that Fiser got, but Handley did not as a lefty. The home plate ump also blew the call at the plate on Jones, and the first base ump called Maresette out on a phantom “runner left early” call when Rivera walked. Couple that with some runners we stranded at 3rd and you get a frustrating loss. Also, a .147 hitter got the game winning double for them. We were snake bitten tonight. 

• ellitor changed the title to Softball vs Minnestota 2/28/19

Article by Phillip Marshall in Auburn Undercover today noted several players were sick; apparently a couple did not complete the series ( I know the announcers specifically mentioned King) and a couple continued to play. That runner left early call appeared to be imagined. We won the battle of the errors with 5 vs our opponents 0. That really needs improvement. Our team fielding % is currently second from the bottom in the conference. Swindle has made some very nice fielding plays where as it is a challenge for Handley. Thought Handley had much better control last night.

Yes the fight and spunk in this team is very promising! Last thing we need is for a bug to run through the team with UF next weekend...Also I noticed Phillip Marshall is still saying Yarbrough is a junior.. 

Tough loss. A couple calls went against Auburn which cost them a couple runs. Overall I thought the hitting against a very good picture was good. A lot of K’s but some timely hitting which scored the runs.

AU1947 said:  

Also I noticed Phillip Marshall is still saying Yarbrough is a junior.. 

She shows as a sophomore on the roster, although I vaguely recall thinking she was transferring in as a junior.  Tissier is listed as a junior, but should be a RS sophomore, since she missed all of last year.  Either the roster is wrong, or Tissier doesn't want the 5th year.

11 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Minnesota a seasoned team that went to the CWS last year; Fiser a top drawer pitcher.  I thought we competed well against them, did better vs. Fiser than I expected.  I didn't see the first couple of innings, so not sure what happened when Jones was out at the plate.  Fiser had a nasty inshoot that she threw for strikes all night; when Handley threw the same pitch as an outshoot in the same place, it was called a ball.  (JMO)  I like McCondichie at second.  We played way better in this ame than the game vs. GASO.  (IMO)

Jones at 3rd, wild pitch, Jones breaks to score, catcher dives back to the plate and her glove pushed Jones lead hand away from the base.  Did Jones touch the base?  no possible way to tell.  No replay showed jones definitely touched the plate.  

It was very close but to say the umpire "blew the call" based on the evidence we have is ludicrous. Nothing in the video shows her touching the plate largely because of the dirt kicked up when she slid into home.

Replay did, however, show that Maresette didn't leave early at first at all. THAT one was entirely conclusive.

12 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Fisher is supposedly nursing some injury, but can’t confirm that. Her numbers are not the best so far and has had a rough year by her standards. She is still a good pitcher. Handley threw well enough to win against a good opponent. Maybe she can continue to build on it.

• ellitor changed the title to Softball vs Minnestota 2/28/20

Archived