Men @ Kentucky Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Geez, why are we so bad at the FT line? 

Sinply put. we don't have good shooters.  It really is that simple lol.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Sinply put. we don't have good shooters.  It really is that simple lol.

Ha, it really is. There was quite a few games last year that Jared was able to really pad his stats by banging home a bunch of free throws at the end of games. It’s so crucial that the guy who handles the ball the most be able to close out games like that. 

26 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ha, it really is. There was quite a few games last year that Jared was able to really pad his stats by banging home a bunch of free throws at the end of games. It’s so crucial that the guy who handles the ball the most be able to close out games like that. 

This team has over achieved soooooo much with a big talent deficiency but maaaaaan I never want to have this type of team again with lack of shooters. It's just not as fun!!!! We were the most exciting team in the country the past 2 seasons!!!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

This team has over achieved soooooo much with s big talent deficiency but maaaaaan I never want to have this type of team again with lack of shooters. It's just not as fun!!!! We were the most exciting team in the country the past 2 seasons!!!

If we had a couple of shooters it would make this team electric. It would open things up more for Wiley too. 

Rupp’s just tough to win in. Thought we played very well save for free throws and late shooting. We stayed in it and competed, just couldn’t hit a shot to take the lead late in a few chances, and UK eventually was able to put a few buckets together to win it. I feel very good about our chances against them in a neutral setting, and could easily see an Auburn - Kentucky rematch in the SEC Champ game. 

Looking forward to post-season as I think this team is among the best in the country. Wiley is playing very well (has started to catch the ball) and Okoro is finding his groove. If we could get Anfernee hot from 3, and start hitting FTs, we’ll be a dangerous tourney team as we are VERY battle tested 

When one team makes 27 FT and the other team misses a dozen or whatever it was it’s amazing it was that close.  Worst FT shooting team I have ever seen.  It’s like we have a team full of Shaq’s when they get to the FT line.  None of them can shoot it.  

I don't see UK beating us anywhere except at Rupp (though the PTB will want UK to beat us if we play in the SEC tourney). They just don't look better than we are if fouls are called consistently.

23 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

When one team makes 27 FT and the other team misses a dozen or whatever it was it’s amazing it was that close.  Worst FT shooting team I have ever seen.  It’s like we have a team full of Shaq’s when they get to the FT line.  None of them can shoot it.  

Purifoy has the best percentage at +80% but he just doesn't get there that often. He or Doughty are the ones who need to take the ball and drive late in a close game. No one else comes close. 

24 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I remember some teams when Barbee was here that struggled to hit ANYTHING. I want to say it was the 2010-2011 season that we shot like 62% from the free throw line. That might have been the same year that we scored 9 points in the first half against LSU 😂

I was watching the game with pals then went to do some s*** so I couldnt originally post

We have got to be one of the worst teams I have ever seen from the stripe and open three. Just horrible. Hopefully we get put in a bracket without any centers better or equal to nick richards. Also preferably a team thats just small and allows us to go to the cup because if they just body us and make us shoot FTs, we'll likely lose 

I know im hitting the other side of the spectrum when it comes to pess/optimism, but I dont see how the way we play versus teams away from home is going to result in wins. No matter how many stretches of clamp ball you muster, the ball has to go in the hoop 

59 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I remember some teams when Barbee was here that struggled to hit ANYTHING. I want to say it was the 2010-2011 season that we shot like 62% from the free throw line. That might have been the same year that we scored 9 points in the first half against LSU 😂

Yeah I think that is correct. What a way to open up our brand new digs in Auburn Arena in SEC home play that season. It was televised for the world to see, unfortunately. It was 32-6 at half. I don't know what the biggest face-palm surprise was: that we scored 6 in the 1st half of that game; that we were down 26 at half of that game; that we scored 49 pts in the 2nd half of that game; that we got out-scored 32-6 in the 1st half and then followed that up by outscoring LSU 49-30 in the 2nd half; or that we only lost by 7 pts, 62-55.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

how did the white kid hold okoro's arm...locked in by the way and yet okoro get called a foul? i do not understand.

That looked like Okoro locked him in to me, the optics of that are always going to yield a foul on the defensive player when it occurs while the offensive fella is about to grab the board.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I don't see UK beating us anywhere except at Rupp (though the PTB will want UK to beat us if we play in the SEC tourney). They just don't look better than we are if fouls are called consistently.

the thing is we had about the same ref advantage they did in AA. In both cases, fouls weren't the difference. 

9 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

We were probably hurt as much as anyone with the moving of the 3 point line back. Samir, purifoy and even Mac to a lesser extent have shown at some point or another in their careers to be capable three point shooters but they are not lethal snipers like Bryce, Jared and chuma. All it took for them to look helpless this season shooting threes was them moving the line back. That little tweak makes all the difference.

• ellitor changed the title to Men @ Kentucky Game Thread

On a more positive note......we are 24-5, 2nd in the SEC, 13th nationally, and beat Kentucky at home by 9. We must be doing something right. I can remember when if we had that kind of season everyone would be rejoicing.

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

Purifoy has the best percentage at +80% but he just doesn't get there that often. He or Doughty are the ones who need to take the ball and drive late in a close game. No one else comes close. 

Yes we could use freshman Purifoy mentality. That guy was a driver. He is basically a spot shooter now. He has the build and strength to finish at the rim if he would just drive. I don’t know if that is his decision or coaches. 

We are no good at all shooting free throws BUT there have been very few teams at Auburn that I remember that did shoot them well. That’s over a couple of decades and 3-4 coaches. I would just not waste time practicing them anymore. Or let players work it in their own time. 
  Wiley seems to have improved on it though. 

18 hours ago, gr82be said:

Seems like Danjel just stands there and waits for someone to kick it out to him, that’s basically what he does. Samir does drive a lot and J’Von as well obviously. Problem is J’Von can’t be depended on at the line, a big problem for a point guard. At least Okoro seems to have a reasonable chance at making them and is really starting to drive the lane. We really do miss Jared badly. 

41 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Seems like Danjel just stands there and waits for someone to kick it out to him, that’s basically what he does. Samir does drive a lot and J’Von as well obviously. Problem is J’Von can’t be depended on at the line, a big problem for a point guard. At least Okoro seems to have a reasonable chance at making them and is really starting to drive the lane. We really do miss Jared badly. 

I agree about Danjel standing around. He's just got the smoothest stroke at the FT line so I wish he'd make it count when we need him most.

20 hours ago, weagl1 said:

especially when they are the guys(Guards) that handle the ball so much. My goodness, certainly in HS is where they learned to drive, and should have been taught good mechanics on FTs.

Because as much as Okoro and McCormick do most of their damage on dribble drives, they should have been better FT shooters.

That's what is amazing to me. Their guards were 18-19, our guards were 10-18

27 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I agree about Danjel standing around. He's just got the smoothest stroke at the FT line so I wish he'd make it count when we need him most.

the only way Danjel is going to get to the FT line is if we are ahead and they have to foul, since he will be in there. He's not an inside type player, so unless they are really trying to block his 3 pt shot he doesn't get fouled much.

28 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

especially when they are the guys(Guards) that handle the ball so much. My goodness, certainly in HS is where they learned to drive, and should have been taught good mechanics on FTs.

Because as much as Okoro and McCormick do most of their damage on dribble drives, they should have been better FT shooters.

That's what is amazing to me. Their guards were 18-19, our guards were 10-18

Stands out big time when ya lose by 7 for sure. 

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yes we could use freshman Purifoy mentality. That guy was a driver. He is basically a spot shooter now. He has the build and strength to finish at the rim if he would just drive. I don’t know if that is his decision or coaches. 

Everyone always says this about Danjel, but I feel like people are living in a nostalgic dream. I always remember him being a jump shooter, rather than a guy with any low post moves or a driver. That surprised me his freshman year, because I assumed based on his build and recruiting scouting report, he would play at least some inside. Never felt like that's something hes emphasized. 

Archived