Joshua Holsey Joins Staff-Grad Assistant

toddc

Former Auburn defensive back joins staff as graduate assistant

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 4 hours ago 

Share5 Comments

Former Auburn defensive back Joshua Holsey has joined Auburn's staff as a graduate assistant, Auburn247 has learned.

Holsey was selected by the Washington Redskins with the 235th overall pick in the seventh round of the NFL Draft in 2017, but re-occurring injuries may have ended his playing career. He is now looking to become a coach, and Auburn provides the opportunity to begin that journey.

“It was a pretty short discussion," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "Josh was just a super player here and a super young man. He played in the NFL. It was kind of one of those deals where when he got done I kind of had him on my mind. I know [defensive coordinator Kevin] Steele thinks the world of him, too. I think it’s a really good situation for him. He’s going to be a great coach.”

Auburn's spring practices begin March 16.

"I knew Holsey was going to be a coach one day when ball stopped," former Auburn teammate Jeremiah Dinson said. "He's one of the top-three smartest players I've been around, one of the players who took me under his wing when I first came in. One of the players that consoled me when I was going through my injuries because he faced a couple injuries himself. You could see it, man, being around Holsey — just being around him, he's a bright, bright young man. It's not shocking to me to see him in the position he's in. I'm telling you right now, three to four years from now he's going to be a DB coach at a major university."

Holsey led Auburn in interceptions (3) and sealed two close victories against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt with picks in 2017. “I felt with the year I had, I should've been in something. I guess it just seems like they didn't see the same thing,” Holsey said in March 2017.

Holsey ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds and had a vertical jump of 35 inches, the best mark among the 17 former Auburn players in attendance at Auburn’s Pro Day in 2017. He was selected in the seventh round of the NFL Draft.

The knock on Holsey was his injury history. He tore two anterior cruciate ligaments in his college career (2013 and 2015), and thought about leaving football after the second knee injury he suffered early in the 2015 season.

“It's been a grind. It's been a good one,” Holsey said at the time. “Lot of ups and downs, but it makes the best person out of you, going through the ups and downs like that. It kind of shows you what kind of person you are. Just to get to this point is big for me, to be healthy enough to do this type of stuff. To be able to show my abilities and my capabilities is awesome to me. I feel like I came and did a great job. I hope I impressed somebody. I hope I caught somebody's eye.”

Holsey was one of four Auburn defensive backs to be drafted in 2017, the most since 2008.

A really smart player. Wish he could've avoided the injury ninja a little better, but hope this provides him the opportunities he wants

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

A really smart player. Wish he could've avoided the injury ninja a little better, but hope this provides him the opportunities he wants

What did you think of his play while at Auburn? Taking the injuries into account..

44 minutes ago, toddc said:

What did you think of his play while at Auburn? Taking the injuries into account..

I loved JH.

LOVE LOVE MOVE MOMMA HOLSEY HERE!!!! PUT THAT BACK!!!!!! When he picks up the THUGA hat!!!! lol. 

3 hours ago, toddc said:

When healthy he was a playmaker. Still remember when he had that clutch interception against ole miss 

This makes me smile!  

Loved him as a player and I am sure he will bring a lot to the program as a Grad assistant. Welcome aboard and War Eagle. 

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

LOVE LOVE MOVE MOMMA HOLSEY HERE!!!! PUT THAT BACK!!!!!! When he picks up the THUGA hat!!!! lol. 

Beautiful AND smart...

giphy.gif

On 3/6/2020 at 5:57 PM, GwillMac6 said:

These have become so cringe and even more vain over the years, but this is classic. Glad he's back.

is he the young man who's father lost a leg fighting for our country or have i confused him for someone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived