Brandon Fisher Hired as Defensive Analyst

toddc

Report: Auburn hires Brandon Fisher as defensive analyst

By STEVEN TARANTOFri Mar 06 2020

Share1 Comments

Auburn University has served a significant role in the Fisher football family, as Trent Fisher - the son of longtime NFL head coach and Tennessee Titans franchise great Jeff Fisher - had once suited up for the Tigers football program as a defensive back. Now, the latest Auburn Football hire brings another Fisher into the fold.

According to a report by Mike Silver of NFL Network, second-generation coach Brandon Fisher has been hired by Auburn to serve as a defensive analyst. Fisher, one of Jeff Fisher's three children, had served as the defensive coordinator at Southern Utah University during the 2019 season after spending much of the decade coaching at the NFL level.

Fisher, a former linebacker at the University of Montana, began coaching as an assistant secondary coach with the Detroit Lions in 2011 before joining his father's staff on the St. Louis Rams. There, he worked his way up to defensive backs coach by the 2015 season, and served in that role until the end of the 2016 season and his father's ouster as Rams head coach. While Fisher had originally planned to join the Cleveland Browns with former Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, he instead opted to take a sabbatical from coaching.

Last year, Fisher re-emerged at the defensive coordinator at Southern Utah, a job which he was led to through connections from the NFL world. When Jeff Fisher played cornerback for the Chicago Bears in the early 1980s, he played alongside former Southern Utah safety Len Walterscheid - whose son Justin became the school's offensive coordinator.

At the college level, Fisher possesses an NFL-style mentality that echoes that of Buddy Ryan, the great defensive mastermind who coached his father as Bears defensive coordinator. According to a 2019 report by Chris Kwiecinski of The Spectrum, Fisher is partial towards players who are "fast and tough" - Criteria that has shades of Buddy Ryan, who long stated that his desire was to have players who played "tough and smart" on defense.

1COMMENTS

Unfortunately, Fisher's NFL defensive experience wasn't able to change the fortunes of Southern Utah. After following up a 1-10 2018 season with a 3-9 campaign in 2019, both Justin Walterscheid and tight ends coach Teag Whittling were fired by the Thunderbirds. It had also been known since December that Fisher would not return, though he left the program of his own volition in order to pursue other opportunities.

Now heading to Auburn, Fisher will join a staff led by head coach Gus Malzahn, whose defense is led by defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. Under Malzahn, the Tigers finished the 2019 season with a 9-4 record and as the No. 14-ranked school in the country, and finished their year with a loss in the Outback Bowl. The program's most-notable defensive player, defensive tackle Derrick Brown, will not return for the 2020 season as he enters the NFL Draft.

I think this is a great thing. I like giving spots to some former recent players, but we need more guys like Fisher with NFL backgrounds. 

He has NFL coaching experience and it’s also in his pedigree. We’ve got 3-4 on field or off field coaches/ assistants with NFL coaching experience.

Crimedog, Bicknell, Fisher etc... and others who played in the NFL

8 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hope his defensive strategy isn’t iNEPt Or we become TImid ScheMing for offenses.

Nice. I see what you did there......

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't...as usual.

Just put the CAPS together...

iNEPt Or we become TImid ScheMing

NEPOTISM

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't...as usual.

Appreciate you much E. but when I read this I heard the voice of Charlie Brown. 

giphy (2).gif

Remember when that rumor REALLY got heated up I think in maybe 2015 it was that the plan in the works was for AU to hire Jeff Fisher as Head Coach and Les Snead as AD?!?! lol. What a disaster that would of been!!! The Fisher part. Not Snead. AHHH GOOD TIMES!!! MEMORIES!!!

51 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Don’t want the Fisher family nowhere near Auburn. 

Why? Do you know something I don't? That wouldn't be hard to do, since I only watch an NFL game when Cam is playing QB or it's the super bowl.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why? Do you know something I don't? That wouldn't be hard to do, since I only watch an NFL game when Cam is playing QB or it's the super bowl.

yh.gif

tyrtyr.gif

gfdfdg.gif

fs.gif

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Anybody associated with Jeff Fisher I wouldn’t want. Don’t understand how he lasted so long in the league as a head coach. He had a lot of talented teams but continued to heavily underachieve. And I still don’t understand to this day why he got rid of Vince Young as his starter when he had a 30-15 record as his starting QB

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Anybody associated with Jeff Fisher I wouldn’t want. Don’t understand how he lasted so long in the league as a head coach. He had a lot of talented teams but continued to heavily underachieve. And I still don’t understand to this day why he got rid of Vince Young as his starter when he had a 30-15 record as his starting QB

Young was done and every thing he did after Titans cut him shows it was the right move.  Hope you have something else as "reason" to ban an entire family cuz that cup won't hold water

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Hope you have something else as "reason"

Regarded as a very good head coach but had a 51% winning record. How he lasted that long who knows? I don't know any nefarious details of anything though.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:47 AM, Sizzle said:

You don't want a guy hired as a defensive analyst at Auburn because his dad underachieved as an NFL head coach. For 22 years.

This is a truly bizarre stance. 

On 3/8/2020 at 7:47 AM, Sizzle said:

The article says Brandon Fisher’s defensive mindset is like Buddy Ryan who coached his father ! I can get behind that mindset and defensive philosophy. 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

The article says Brandon Fisher’s defensive mindset is like Buddy Ryan who coached his father ! I can get behind that mindset and defensive philosophy. 

Yes.  Ol’Buddy would put everyone on the LOS and turn them loose.  This sitting back waiting on a good QB with good receivers to pick you apart is no way to play defense in my book. Jam the receivers on the line and knock the QB on his butt before he can get the ball off is the way to stop that stuff.  You may give up a long play every now but I’ll take that over slow death.  

On 3/7/2020 at 10:53 PM, Sizzle said:

Don’t want the Fisher family nowhere near Auburn. 

I'm trying to get my double negatives right. Doesn't that mean you want the Fisher family somewhere near Auburn???

On 3/8/2020 at 12:08 AM, GwillMac6 said:

yh.gif

tyrtyr.gif

gfdfdg.gif

fs.gif

Not to piss you off further Gwill but I'm with him. If NFL teams don't have former AU players on them, I could pretty much care less. Sorry bro.

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Not to piss you off further Gwill but I'm with him. If NFL teams don't have former AU players on them, I could pretty much care less. Sorry bro.

That is my point. There is more former AU players in the NFL than just Cam.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is my point. There is more former AU players in the NFL than just Cam.

First thing I did for the XFL was look up Auburn players on rosters and watched that team. CAP been playing fairly well. I do the same for NFL teams and even like watching some of the Alabama players (blasphemy to some I’m sure)

Gonna do the same with NBA next year 

On 3/8/2020 at 7:47 AM, Sizzle said:

Funny thing about Fisher and his supposed "underachievement" is that if the NFL goes to the new expanded playoff format that's being bandied about and had that format been in place during Fisher's time as HC in the NFL, his teams would have missed making the playoffs something like never or close to never. As far as Vince Young, he made the decision he thought he had to make, and the fact that Young's career as an NFL QB was essentially over after that and no other teams were able to pick him up and make him the star QB everyone thought he would be tends to say Fisher was right.

Archived