Null

Sign in to follow this  
toddc

SEC Men's Tourney Thread (Updated: Tourney Cancelled)

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

I’m just glad that I have a 6-9 month stockpile of bourbon so that I can ride this out 

Secondary market is going to be flooded with Everclear going for $100 a bottle soon. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Secondary market is going to be flooded with Everclear going for $100 a bottle soon. 

Multi-surface cleaner. You can use it to disinfect your hands AND your liver!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

I guarantee you the NCAA tournament will cancel completely. Very soon. 

Just now, NoALtiger said:

I guarantee you the NCAA tournament will cancel completely. Very soon. 

It's all just dominoes waiting their turn now. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Multi-surface cleaner. You can use it to disinfect your hands AND your liver!

Damn I miss college days! Also was a good LPR.

• Haha 1

This i s the REC at it's finest here. Turds dropping big Bucks. They knew Bruce was about to go on a run and win the whole damn thing.

• Haha 1

There is nothing stupid about cancelling the tournaments. Not only can the fans and teams acquire the virus but as a fan do you really want some of your team to get this virus? You really can't have a quality tournament with most of the teams having to quarantine half of the team and it only takes a couple of teams to pass this along to each bracket. I for one don't care to watch a game with the our bench playing Kentucky, who may have avoided it all together. If you can't guarantee the best for the teams then there's no reason to do it half @$$. Its better to err on the side of caution. 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

There is nothing stupid about cancelling the tournaments. Not only can the fans and teams acquire the virus but as a fan do you really want some of your team to get this virus? You really can't have a quality tournament with most of the teams having to quarantine half of the team and it only takes a couple of teams to pass this along to each bracket. I for one don't care to watch a game with the our bench playing Kentucky, who may have avoided it all together. If you can't guarantee the best for the teams then there's no reason to do it half @$$. Its better to err on the side of caution. 

The biggest thing, other than how easily it spreads, is how it impacts people with underlying health issues, some that they may not even know about. Just look at the amount of athletes in recent years diagnosed with cancer etc, sometimes in advanced stages, that no telling how long they had it for before being diagnosed. Your normal average healthy person taking care of themselves can bounce back and recover from this, but in big gatherings like this, there are so many unknowns 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, kennypowers said:

No worse than the flu.  We created these "Super Bugs" w/ vaccines anyway.  Might as well just ride it out.

I think we should keep the tournament's going and just give everyone some lavender essential oils. Much better than vaccines, right?

• Haha 1

Are you all trying to tell me that I'm not going to see Isaac Okoro play basketball in an Auburn uniform anymore?  

• Sad 2

Pearl: AU players angry, sad about SEC Tournament cancellation

ByMARK MURPHY 

NASHVILLE, Tennessee—Coach Bruce Pearl said his players do not like the SEC’s decision to cancel the league’s annual men’s basketball tournament due to concerns about coronavirus.

“There was some anger,” Auburn’s head coach said on Thursday. “There were a couple of heads down and some tears. We had five seniors who worked to be seeded second in this tournament.”

Auburn, defending tournament champion, was scheduled to play on Friday night after earning a double bye for the event with a 12-6 league mark. Overall, the Tigers are 25-6.

“It is disappointing because all of the blood, sweat and tears and all of the sacrifice they have done in playing through this season to have a chance to play for a championship,” Pearl said.

“Who knows what is going to happen next week as far as the NCAA Tournament,” he said. “I am hoping that things calm down and in a week or so we figure out a way to play this championship and reward the 68 teams that to this point that have put themselves in a position to play.”

9686598.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs Bruce Pearl is head coach of the Tigers. (Photo: Johnny Lawrence, Inside the Auburn Tigers/AUTigers.com, 247Sports)

The NCAA Tournament selections are scheduled to be announced on Sunday. However, on Wednesday the organization announced that although the tournament would be played, fans would not be allowed to attend the games. That is the same decision the SEC announced on Wednesday before less than 24 hours later cancelling the tournament on Thursday morning.

• Like 1

Woops posted this in the wrong thread earlier:

I'm ok with it, with how fast this thing spreads if a player gets it then hugs a parent or older relative in the following days they could feasibily die. Not worth putting people at risk IMO. 

It sucks though. I hate it for our seniors and Isaac. I hate that it felt like the light was coming on with how we dismantled UT and we were playing well at the right time. But maybe this thing gets pushed to May somehow but how does that affect the nba draft etc? This is wild 

• Thanks 1

I'm ashamed at some of the posters on this thread. People really need to take a step back and realize that a game is not more important then the health and we'll being of players, coaches, media, and other fans. While it sucks that we're not gonna get to see Auburn play again this year I would rather these amazingly talented individuals not put their health, their careers, and their lives at risk for a game that doesn't even pay them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just days ago who would have thought UGA and Arkansas would be co-SEC Tournament champions?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I’m just glad that I have a 6-9 month stockpile of bourbon so that I can ride this out 

That's all you got hell I'm stocked for a year at least with PBR's...........you know got to be preparded for a hurricane

• Love 1

May have missed this above, but according to this article AU will most likely withdraw from the tournament as well

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Coronavirus-Auburn-cancels-all-sporting-events-in-person-classes-through-April-10-as-pandemic-threatens-country-144948083/

Auburn cancels all sporting events through April 10

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn will not participate in athletic events through at least April 10 as the university hunkers down during the coronavirus pandemic.

The SEC announced all of its events and institutions will be canceled through March 30, but Auburn went a step further by extending that date to April 10.

Auburn University asked its students to not return from spring break Monday. All classes will be conducted online through April 10. Residence halls, the university library and dining facilities will also be closed during that time.

A decision on whether Auburn will conduct spring practices has not been decided. "Still sorting through that piece," Auburn athletics director Allen Greene told Auburn247. Auburn's A-Day spring football scrimmage is scheduled for April 11 inside Jordan-Hare Stadium, but that date may change or the scrimmage may be canceled.

Auburn officials are in active discussions concerning how to move forward. Greene called the process a "moving target" that requires patience.

The news comes on the heels of the SEC canceling the SEC men's basketball tournament and all SEC competition in all sports through March 30. All on- and off-campus recruiting is also banned at SEC programs.

The NCAA has not yet announced whether it will postpone or cancel the NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments, though SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said Thursday he will allow teams to participate in March Madness if they choose to conduct the tournament starting next week. The SEC men's basketball tournament hosted two games Wednesday in Nashville, but canceled the remainder of the tournament before action began Thursday.

"I've not had a situation as difficult and emotional as this one to make a recommendation to our presidents and chancellors that we cancel the remainder of our men's basketball tournament," Sankey said. "It was a moment where I had to stop and actually catch myself and recompose myself.

"I tell you that simply to say there's no one in this conference who's taken these decisions lightly, and I would not want to work with another set of presidents, chancellors, and athletic directors in the world. I have the utmost respect for each of the campus leaders and thank them for their engagement, their work, their consideration, their discussion, and support during the past 24 hours."

Auburn appears set to not participate in the NCAA Tournament should it continue as planned. All domestic and international travel involving Auburn University has been halted.

The Tigers' baseball and softball seasons were underway, with the baseball team previously scheduled to open conference action Friday in a three-game series against Texas A&M at Plainsman Park.

The Auburn men's basketball team has a record of 25-6 following a 22-point victory at Tennessee on Saturday. They were scheduled to play in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals Friday at 6 p.m. CT.

Anecdotal point coming up:

I work for a mid-sized manufacturing facility. Our safety officer, like any, tends to be very over the top when it comes to health codes, taking precautions, being sure to protect yourself, etc.

In conversation today, I happened to ask him what he thought of all the cancellations to events going on.

His response:

”It’s a load of bull***. It’s people trying to create hysteria in the midst of an election year, like every other year. The bottom line is Swine flu, H1N1, was a whole lot more widespread in the world than this virus is at this point in its lifespan, and we didn’t do this “shut everything down” nonsense. In fact we’re running that study right now to see if we (the plant) need to shutdown, and the fact of the matter is, it’s going to cause much more trouble for people financially and in their general livelihood than it would if they were to contract it. Just take care of yourself and you’ll be fine. We’ve gotto do what standards say, but it’s pretty telling when far deadlier and more contagious diseases haven’t caused this kind of response before.”

Don’t want to start anything and yes that’s very anecdotal... just saying this is a sharp guy who tends to be very overly protective when it comes to safety concerns and our plant has more than 100 employees working in it at any given time... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I work for a mid-sized manufacturing facility. Our safety officer, like any, tends to be very over the top when it comes to health codes, taking precautions, being sure to protect yourself, etc.

In conversation today, I happened to ask him what he thought of all the cancellations to events going on.

His response:

”It’s a load of bull***. It’s people trying to create hysteria in the midst of an election year, like every other year. The bottom line is Swine flu, H1N1, was a whole lot more widespread in the world than this virus is at this point in its lifespan, and we didn’t do this “shut everything down” nonsense. In fact we’re running that study right now to see if we (the plant) need to shutdown, and the fact of the matter is, it’s going to cause much more trouble for people financially and in their general livelihood than it would if they were to contract it. Just take care of yourself and you’ll be fine. We’ve gotto do what standards say, but it’s pretty telling when far deadlier and more contagious diseases haven’t caused this kind of response before.”

Don’t want to start anything and yes that’s very anecdotal... just saying this is a sharp guy who tends to be very overly protective when it comes to safety concerns and our plant has more than 100 employees working in it at any given time... 

I’m sure countries around the world are shutting down to impact the US election.... there may be some hysteria going around but it has zilch to do with politics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

His response:

Neither swine flu or H1N1 were near as virulent (easily transmitted) as Covad-19. And his "It’s people trying to create hysteria in the midst of an election year" sounds like some crap he heard on Fox.

Covad-19 is at least so far deadlier than swine or H1N1. And the response is to help stop the spread.  I tell people not to panic but your safety office is not on firm ground here. Not at all.

• Like 4

Well...on the ever so minimal bright spot we ended the season with a 22 point victory. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’m sure countries around the world are shutting down to impact the US election.... there may be some hysteria going around but it has zilch to do with politics

And Let’s not make it a political discussion here. For anyone who wants to go that route please take it to the political forum.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Covad-19 is at least so far deadlier than swine or H1N1.

That isn’t so clear cut. Without testing nobody knows what the “n”/denominator is to truly assess what the percentage of cases resulting in significant morbidity/mortality truly is. Lot of unknowns still.....

• Like 3