2020 All-SEC Team

BigSammyK

Doughty deservedly on the First Team and Okoro made Second Team. Okoro also made the All Freshman (duh) and Defensive teams. Calipari Coach of the Year and Quickley Player of the Year.

First Team All-SEC

Kira Lewis Jr., Alabama

Mason Jones, Arkansas

Samir Doughty, Auburn

Keyontae Johnson, Florida

Immanuel Quickley, Kentucky

Nick Richards, Kentucky

Skylar Mays, LSU

Breein Tyree, Ole Miss

Reggie Perry, Mississippi State

Second Team All-SEC

John Petty Jr., Alabama

Isaac Okoro, Auburn

Kerry Blackshear Jr., Florida

Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky

Maik Kotsar, South Carolina

John Fulkerson, Tennessee

Saben Lee, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman Team

Jaden Shackelford, Alabama

Isaac Okoro, Auburn

Scottie Lewis, Florida

Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky

Trendon Watford, LSU

Jermaine Couisnard, South Carolina

Scotty Pippen Jr., Vanderbilt

All-Defensive Team

Herbert Jones, Alabama

Isaac Okoro, Auburn

Ashton Hagans, Kentucky

Nick Richards, Kentucky

Yves Pons, Tennessee

Coach of the Year: John Calipari, Kentucky

Player of the Year: Immanuel Quickley, Kentucky

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Skylar Mays, LSU

Freshman of the Year: Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Sixth-Man of the Year: Tyson Carter, Mississippi State

Defensive Player of the Year: Yves Pons, Tennessee

https://www.secsports.com/article/28877731/sec-announces-2020-men-basketball-awards

9 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Doughty deservedly on the First Team and Okoro made Second Team. Okoro also made the All Freshman (duh) and Defensive teams. Calipari Coach of the Year and Quickley Player of the Year.

First Team All-SEC

Kira Lewis Jr., Alabama

Mason Jones, Arkansas

Samir Doughty, Auburn

Keyontae Johnson, Florida

Immanuel Quickley, Kentucky

Nick Richards, Kentucky

Skylar Mays, LSU

Breein Tyree, Ole Miss

Reggie Perry, Mississippi State

Second Team All-SEC

John Petty Jr., Alabama

Isaac Okoro, Auburn

Kerry Blackshear Jr., Florida

Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky

Maik Kotsar, South Carolina

John Fulkerson, Tennessee

Saben Lee, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman Team

Jaden Shackelford, Alabama

Isaac Okoro, Auburn

Scottie Lewis, Florida

Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky

Trendon Watford, LSU

Jermaine Couisnard, South Carolina

Scotty Pippen Jr., Vanderbilt

All-Defensive Team

Herbert Jones, Alabama

Isaac Okoro, Auburn

Ashton Hagans, Kentucky

Nick Richards, Kentucky

Yves Pons, Tennessee

Coach of the Year: John Calipari, Kentucky

Player of the Year: Immanuel Quickley, Kentucky

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Skylar Mays, LSU

Freshman of the Year: Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Sixth-Man of the Year: Tyson Carter, Mississippi State

Defensive Player of the Year: Yves Pons, Tennessee

https://www.secsports.com/article/28877731/sec-announces-2020-men-basketball-awards

Its interesting that last year 2 of the best guards(Harper & Brown) in the SEC couldn't crack the 1st team, but this year we can get Samir on there.

Congrats to Samir. He worked hard to get there.

Congrats to Samir well deserved for him!

Calipari for COY? Yeah sure why not i guess......makes you wonder what Pearl has to do to get this award? Its ok SEC...you guys keep trying to deny Pearl is the best coach in the conference and he'll just keep whooping that *** for you!

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Calipari for COY? Yeah sure why not i guess......makes you wonder what Pearl has to do to get this award? Its ok SEC...you guys keep trying to deny Pearl is the best coach in the conference and he'll just keep whooping that *** for you!

Yeah. I think this year whoever won the league had the best shot at COY.

Pearl did get snubbed for sure 2 years ago.

He is going to have to win the league outright to get COY any more. If they had voted on it after the SECT, he would have won it last year.

Damn I didn't realize the 1st team was a freakin 2 deep

Big ups to Samir Doughty. First team All SEC is a big deal. Surpassing all expectations ya gotta love to see it

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Its interesting that last year 2 of the best guards(Harper & Brown) in the SEC couldn't crack the 1st team, but this year we can get Samir on there.

Coaches were still holding Pearl's past real & believed transgressions against him & our players.

If they had voted on it after the SECT, he would have won it last year.

Doubt it. Winning the Tourney was awesome but we still finished 5th in the regular season.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Yeah, the only problem I have with any of this is Cal as COY. More than one coach in the SEC did a better job imo. With the recruiting advantages and officiating advantages Cal gets, he underachieved if you ask me.

6 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yeah, the only problem I have with any of this is Cal as COY. More than one coach in the SEC did a better job imo. With the recruiting advantages and officiating advantages Cal gets, he underachieved if you ask me.

Agreed, he had experience and multiple highly rated recruits to work with and he pretty much met expectations for the team. Give it to a coach that had his team play better than expected. Hell Buzz at A&M is a good candidate cause his team finished 7th in SEC after looking terrible to start the season. He really had them playing above the talent level 

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Agreed, he had experience and multiple highly rated recruits to work with and he pretty much met expectations for the team. Give it to a coach that had his team play better than expected. Hell Buzz at A&M is a good candidate cause his team finished 7th in SEC after looking terrible to start the season. He really had them playing above the talent level 

Exactly. Just because he won the league at UK doesn't mean he did the best coaching job. They mailed in the vote on this one.

24 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

How did Cal underachieve? He won the SEC by 3 games...What else was he suppose to do?

I think there were others, who could have gotten it too, Buzz at TaM really improved them, and Bruce was suppose to finish 4th or 5th and finished 2nd. 

I agree that Cal is suppose to be one of the best in the SEC bc it is KY year in and year out. 

No huge surprise with Cal winning Coach of the Year. Going back to 2000, there have only been 3 years (2001, 2007, and 2019) when the COY's team did not win or share the regular season conference championship.

How did Cal underachieve? He won the SEC by 3 games...What else was he suppose to do?

I think there were others, who could have gotten it too, Buzz at TaM really improved them, and Bruce was suppose to finish 4th or 5th and finished 2nd. 

I agree that Cal is suppose to be one of the best in the SEC bc it is KY year in and year out. 

Not lose at home to an unranked non-conference opponent (first in decades for UK)

Not lose at home to an unranked UT 

Bruce should of won it 2 years ago hands DOWN. I thought Buzz Williams absolutely should of won Coach of the Year this season. That team is not talented at all and he got them to above .500 in SEC conference play. That is just absurd. 

BIG BIIIIIIIIIIG UPS TO SAMIR AND OKORO!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! WAR DAMN BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Samir is our first player to get All SEC first team honors since 99 I believe. Congrats!!!

24 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Not lose at home to an unranked non-conference opponent (first in decades for UK)

Not lose at home to an unranked UT 

Cal wins with his recruiting. I  think he is still a good coach, but his best years are behind him imo.

13 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Cal wins with his recruiting. I  think he is still a good coach, but his best years are behind him imo.

In college athletics recruiting is part of the coaching formula.

I agree with @ellitor that recruiting is part of the formula for college coach rankings, but as others have said, I don't see that Cal did anything extraordinary with the abundance of talent he has this year.  I would have given to Buzz hands down.  He has that team rolling.  And to be doing that with the talent he has is definitely a better coaching job than Cal.  

At least in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I agree with @ellitor that recruiting is part of the formula for college coach rankings, but as others have said, I don't see that Cal did anything extraordinary with the abundance of talent he has this year.

It's not easy to get highly talented freshman to play well together. That takes a lot of coaching work too.

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I would have given to Buzz hands down.

I don't agree with Buzz either. A&M was basically only good for the last half of the conference season. They were horrible in the noncon season so that has to be factored in also.

I am sure it has been said already but i will say it again.  Auburn has 4 25 year wins in the history of it's basketball program.  Bruce Pearl has the last 3 in a row and has not received any reward yet for his accomplishment.  This year he took a team from last year that overachieved to the max. They went 22-9 in the regular season, then went 8-0 till they were robbed in the final four game.  From that team he lost most of his scoring and almost all of his starters.  He defied the odds again, starting the season undefeated becoming one of the last two teams. His star freshman forward got hurt and took the winds out of his squad and cost him, but he still wound up 25-6.  How do you not give Bruce Pearl COY, and how does Cal get it with 6 5stars and 4 4stars?  I could win 3/4 of the games he won. He gets COY for the other .25%?  Sad, the KY bias .  I know he is a good coach, but i am sick of seeing the Bruce Pearl attacks, while Cal is lifted up as a Choir boy

5 hours ago, lost said:

I am sure it has been said already but i will say it again.  Auburn has 4 25 year wins in the history of it's basketball program.  Bruce Pearl has the last 3 in a row and has not received any reward yet for his accomplishment.  This year he took a team from last year that overachieved to the max. They went 22-9 in the regular season, then went 8-0 till they were robbed in the final four game.  From that team he lost most of his scoring and almost all of his starters.  He defied the odds again, starting the season undefeated becoming one of the last two teams. His star freshman forward got hurt and took the winds out of his squad and cost him, but he still wound up 25-6.  How do you not give Bruce Pearl COY, and how does Cal get it with 6 5stars and 4 4stars?  I could win 3/4 of the games he won. He gets COY for the other .25%?  Sad, the KY bias .  I know he is a good coach, but i am sick of seeing the Bruce Pearl attacks, while Cal is lifted up as a Choir boy

Why didn’t Bruce get COTY? Same reason Cam got passed up for a tennis player and Chizik got passed up for Spurrier in that same year. SEC fandom and allegiance is bull****. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Why didn’t Bruce get COTY? Same reason Cam got passed up for a tennis player and Chizik got passed up for Spurrier in that same year. SEC fandom and allegiance is bull****. 

Don’t think that has anything to do with it this year. Even though we had hopes of just making NCAA tournament this year after losing all the fire power we did last year preseason we were expected to be fifth which is pretty good. And as another poster posted earlier in the thread There’s only been three times the past 20 years where the regular season champ was not also coach of the year. One of those times unfortunately was Pearl a couple years ago when the coaches were holding grudges on him because of past transgressions both real and believed.

I get the arguments for and against Pearl as COTY this year. I personally think that this was his best coaching job at AU and he was very deserving of winning COTY. Cal-, like Saban in football, doesn’t get enough credit for the good coaching that he does because of the talent that he usually has so I don’t have a big problem with him winning it.

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I get the arguments for and against Pearl as COTY this year. I personally think that this was his best coaching job at AU and he was very deserving of winning COTY. Cal-, like Savanna in football, doesn’t get enough credit for the good coaching that he does because of the talent that he usually has so I don’t have a big problem with him winning it.

I agree with this. If Pearl should have gotten it, it was definitely for what he did finally AT Auburn 2 years ago. The problem was, he tied with Rick Barnes.

Good coaching shows itself it many ways. And a coach who constantly has to deal with HS stars, and changing his roster almost every year, and still winning the SEC is always in my book a good coaching job. 

I hope one year Pearl can win the SEC outright, and then see if he is voted COY. If he doesn't win it then, we will know he is secretly being blackballed by his peers. I hope that is not the case.

both real and believed.  ?    What did Bruce Pearl ever do to a fellow coach?  Bruce Pearls problem as I see it and I am trying my best not  to show Auburn bias, was  his disdain to the NCAA. The fact they chose to crucify the small fish and continue to turn their hypocritical heads at the blue bloods caused him to spit in their face.  So he told his players to lie about a bbq.  That had nothing to do with any other coach.  It gave him no advantage.  There is no reason for a SEC coach to dislike him.  Name a coach who does not have ways that rub folks wrong?  Frank Martin is a great example, Rick Barnes, and the devil himself Cal...  No, I don't understand

35 minutes ago, fredst said:

I get the arguments for and against Pearl as COTY this year. I personally think that this was his best coaching job at AU and he was very deserving of winning COTY. Cal-, like Savanna in football, doesn’t get enough credit for the good coaching that he does because of the talent that he usually has so I don’t have a big problem with him winning it.

With the uber talented kids sometimes the coaching is being a psychologist to the kids to help them check their egos some so they can play together.

Archived