NCAA Tournament Cancelled (Updated & Merged)

Texan4Auburn

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/tourney/2020/03/11/coronavirus-ncaa-tournament-should-played-without-fans-present/5020741002/

Appears that the the NCAA is looking into the tournament and how to handle, and should there be, crowds for the games. Believe Ohio has already stated they will not have attendance at the games.

This obviously has economic consequences (Austin cancelled SXSW and estimates its a 300 million plus loss) for the areas that are scheduled to be hosted. It will definitely have an impact on the atmosphere. It just won't be the same tournament. I am curious as to how empty stadiums will impact teams. We have all seen the underdog feed off the crowd, become a favorite in a regional due to it. Will be interesting if it goes through at every venue to see if pure skill takes over with extremely limiting outside factors in play.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coronavirus: Emmert bans fan attendance at NCAA Tournament

ByNICK KOSKO 36 minutes ago 

Share5 Comments

Amid the outbreak of the coronavirus, the NCAA discussed potential options moving forward with the NCAA Basketball Tournament and other collegiate athletic events. Cities around the country began taking precautionary measures, including San Francisco with Golden State Warriors games, Houston (an NCAA Regional host city postponing and cancelling events) and Ohio not allowing fans in the First Four.

Now, the NCAA is making a nationwide statement for the postseason. NCAA President Mark Emmert released a statement banning all fans from attending NCAA Tournament games for the Division I men's and women's tournaments.

You can read Emmert's statement below.

"The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel. Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States. This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed."

Get the madness started early! Fill out up to six conference tournament brackets now for your shot to win $10k!

The advisory panel referenced by Emmert also released a statement.

"The NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel recognizes the fluidity of COVID-19 and its impact on hosting events in a public space," the statement began. "COVID-19 is spreading rapidly in the United State, and behavioral risk mitigation strategies are the best option for slowing the spread of this disease. This is especially important because mildly symptomatic individuals can transmit COVID-19. Given these considerations, coupled with a more unfavorable outcome of COVID-19 in older adults - especially those with underlying chronic medical conditions - we recommend against sporting events open to the public. We do believe sport events can take place with only essential personnel and limited family attendance, and this protects our players, employees, and fans."

Coronavirus concerns and the NCAA tournament crowds first started to mount Feb. 29 when the National College Players Association (NCPA) issued a statement on the idea of playing games in March without fans. The NCAA issued memos beforehand and later formed an advisory panel with experts and student-athletes to monitor outbreak containment measures.

Coronavirus spreads between people in close contact with one another, typically within six feet, or through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Spread is still possible before people show symptoms, although that does not stand as the typical cause, according to the CDC.

5COMMENTS

Symptoms such as fever, cough and shortness of breath can surface 2-14 days after exposure. Without an existing vaccination to prevent the disease, the best way for prevention is avoiding exposure.

As of Tuesday afternoon's update, the CDC reported 647 total coronavirus cases across 36 jurisdictions, including Washington, D.C. Although the CDC is no longer disclosing how many potential cases are under testing for the coronavirus, there have been 25 deaths.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That will be a huge financial hit for the hosting cities and vendors

It's a hard blow for sure. It will be bad enough for the Coca-Cola's and Hamptons of the country but the smaller vendors could be devastated. Temp seasonal help at the venues will be let go now. I know my 401k has taken a hit. I take comfort in my faith for the long term but some people just aren't set up to see past a week or two. I hate this is happening and I pray there is a cure very soon. 

This thing is blowing up quick. I think it’s a good thing to be cautious when you have a big unknown staring you down and that’s what this virus is. Really glad they are not flat out canceling the games like the Ivy League has for their conference tourney. At least not yet canceling....

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

So, does this mean more or less upsets? I could see either panning out

I could see a wonky champion since most effected by no fans is the Kansas, Kentucky and dukes of the world who always have the most fans at neutral site games.

• WarTiger changed the title to NCAA Tournament to limit attendance (merged threads)
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

So, does this mean more or less upsets? I could see either panning out

To me, I feel like the dogs are empowered by the momentum of the arena the same way us fans at home do. Like making shots is big but there's a certain energy I think the stands bring. But there's an alternate perspective that this makes the playing fields basically even, and when you're playing a UK or Duke who travels everywhere, probably big. THIS is going to be WAY more impactful in women's CBB than men's CBB IMO 

56 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I am fairly certain that the NCAA can expect to be hit with a class action suit because of this decision. 

Settlements might come but this is the precedent of many industries and soon to be, most of the industrialized world. SHouldn't be hard for the NCAA to present this same case 

It's not just the tournament.  As mentioned, SXSW here in Austin was canceled.  E3, the biggest video game convention of the year for industry folks like me, was canceled today and it's not scheduled until June.  Seattle isn't letting any gatherings of more than 250 people happen, including sporting events.  L.A.'s upcoming XFL game is being played without fans.  Most major companies I deal with are requiring phone meetings and canceling all in person meetings.

There will be a lot more of this before everything eases up.  It's the "better safe than sorry" approach, but to a degree that I've never seen. 

One anecdotal note: I went to San Fransisco this week for a day for work.  The amount of people who take "precautions" but then do something incredibly stupid to make said precaution worthless is kind of frightening.  Also, there was no traffic to be found out there, which never happens.

3 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I'm now reading that it will be 'limited' fan attendance...what does that mean?

I have a feeling it means that Duke and Kansas will be allowed to have LOTS of family members present and other schools won't.

12 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I have a feeling it means that Duke and Kansas will be allowed to have LOTS of family members present and other schools won't.

Forgot Kentucky 

Archived