A-day Game Cancelled

toddc

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Prudence and following CDC guidelines/recommendations is smart. Panic is not. I'd do the same thing if I were you. I'm under 65 with no underlying health conditions. I wash my hands/cart handles, etc., don't touch my face, and don't touch other people. Other than that, business as usual.

I never realized how much I absent mindedly touched my face until I was watching a news report talking about that.....and realized I was tapping the edge of my lip with a finger...LOL!

I agree, there should not be panic.  However, there is a different "feel" to this situation than swine or bird flu, etc.

I suddenly feel like watching I Am Legend....

On 3/13/2020 at 10:13 PM, AUsince72 said:

Keep in mind...

Some of the greediest people on Earth....the sports industry....are cancelling games, tournaments, heck, maybe even seasons.  They are about to lose millions & millions & millions (maybe billions) of dollars by making these decisions.  

Think about how many times in history that these people have ever made decisions TO LOSE MONEY???  I'm sorry but these multimillionaires & billionaires know something that perhaps we regular folks don't.

Take it seriously or not....your choice obviously, but w/ an abundance of chemo & radiation in my recent history (plus living in a state who's sole income is based on national & international tourism & an entire elderly population who crams our space to the gills this time of year) and having two 11 year old germ factories, We HAVE to take it seriously....

I'm not typically an alarmist but becoming a hermit right now is very important to my health.

To each their own but just thought I'd share a view from one who is taking this very seriously.

Stay safe, War Eagle and God bless!!

Your first two paragraphs say exactly what my thoughts are on this..

link

Auburn A-Day spring football game canceled

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

The SEC will not return to competition until at least the fall after formally canceling all remaining sports for the academic year.

The conference is following the lead of other major conferences, which had already canceled the remaining competition events for spring sports as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads across the country. The SEC will also not allow its football programs to conduct its annual spring football games, formally ending the last hope for Auburn to host its annual A-Day game this spring. Auburn's A-Day game was originally scheduled for April 11 inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

All pro days yet to occur in the SEC have also been canceled. The earliest the SEC will allow SEC programs to return for practices and meetings is April 16, though that appears to be in danger of the Center for Disease Control has requested Americans to not gather in groups of 50 or more.

“This is a difficult day for all of us, and I am especially disappointed for our student-athletes,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement.“The health and well-being of our entire conference community is an ongoing priority for the SEC as we continue to monitor developments and information about the COVID-19 virus.”

Other athletics activities, including team and individual practices, meetings and other organized gatherings, whether required or voluntary, remain suspended through at least April 15.

Auburn's A-Day game was also set to host a celebration for the 2010 BCS national championship team. The Tigers were set to begin a year-long celebration of the football team on the 1-year anniversary of going undefeated and winning the national title. Members of the team, including coaches, were scheduled to be in attendance at the A-Day game and participate in an event at Toomer's Corner. Those plans have since been canceled, though Auburn has yet to release details and whether the event will be rescheduled.

SEC member institutions will continue to provide their student-athletes with care and support to meet needs in areas including academics, medical care, mental health and wellness, nutrition and housing as needed.

The CDC has confirmed 4,226 coronavirus cases and 75 deaths in the United States of America as of Tuesday morning. A total of 167,515 people have been confirmed infected across the world, including 6,606 deaths. The global tallies jumped by 13,903 cases and 862 deaths in the last 24 hours, according to a World Health Organization report released Tuesday at 9 a.m. CT.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Thread topic is wrong. 

What’s wrong with it? Have you heard differently? Spring practices are cancelled according to the article I posted.

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

What’s wrong with it? Have you heard differently? Spring practices are cancelled according to the article I posted.

Spring game/ A-Day canceled. Spring practice is postponed in waiting mode. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Spring game/ A-Day canceled. Spring practice is postponed in waiting mode. 

FIFY

On 3/13/2020 at 8:32 AM, lca408 said:

Problem is, it’s more contagious than the flu. It’s going to spread regardless. Shutting things down for a month is only going to delay the spread and space it out over the next few months. I doubt this will actually do that much good. There’s evidence that the virus can stay in your system for something like 30+ days even after you’ve recovered. Then again, the symptoms are so mild for most people, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of folks get it, get better, and don’t even realize they had it since it’s being built up like “Captain Trips.” Then you have smokers and older folks who will legit have problems and complications with it. It stinks all around but IMO, it may be best to just have it run through the populace quickly so everyone gets over it. I’d be more worried about it lingering and having flare ups throughout the year, since right now there’s no hard evidence to suggest that the heat will help like it does with the flu, though that is the hope.

It might stay in your system for 30 days, but how long are you actually contagious?

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

It might stay in your system for 30 days, but how long are you actually contagious?

Good question. I don’t know. I’d imagine for most people, probably not a full 30 days. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have already been released from the hospital and quarantine and they only got tested last week. 

To be honest, the math here isn’t adding up. To be as contagious as it is, there should be more cases. Of course the answer is there’s a bunch more cases out there that are not being reported because a lot of people either don’t have the local resources to test/confirm, or they’re just not seeking medical attention. My suspicion is that the rates of critical infection and fatality rates are much lower than the 20% and 4% that are being thrown around right now, simply because the numbers are skewed by the people who are actually seeking medical attention. Just like with the flu and other viruses, a lot of people just don’t go to the doctor or seek to get tested for it because the symptoms are so mild, or perhaps they don’t think they even have it. It’s allergy season now too, which may convince some people that’s all it is. Meanwhile, these people with mild symptoms or asymptomatic can easily spread it to others unknowingly and get to the higher risk people. My thinking is, if you live in a decent/large city, you’ve already been exposed and many are already on the way to being infected because quarantine went into effect so late. I think we’re hitting our peak of infections right now or very soon, but the peak of confirmed cases/hospitalizations is coming in another week or so. 

Unfortunately, I think the “quarantine” recommendations came a little too late for most people who will be infected.

21 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Unfortunately, I think the “quarantine” recommendations came a little too late for most people who will be infected.

Especially given how many people, businesses and regions are still ignoring it. It's maddening. 

On 3/13/2020 at 7:32 AM, lca408 said:

since it’s being built up like “Captain Trips.”

Has anyone else been having a dream about an old black woman living in Nebraska? I'm thinking of heading that way.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Has anyone else been having a dream about an old black woman living in Nebraska? I'm thinking of heading that way.

Moon spells Chinese virus. 

Archived