Petition for eligibility

bigbird

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Most likely won't help or go anywhere, but then again...

http://chng.it/pxrJtqhyKJ

For baseball, softball, and other sports whose seasons went unfinished I think this will be the case.

It'll be harder to argue for basketball players considering that there are many seniors who already were not going to be playing in the post season. And being better at the sport than another probably won't justify extra eligibility.

I wish we could duplicate threads. This needs to be in the baseball & softball forum even more than this one.

Spring sports getting the extra year makes sense. Can't see how they do the same for winter. If a kid tore his ACL this late in the year they wouldn't give a medical redshirt. But if all of this happened in, say, November then I could see them potentially doing something witb the eligibility of winter sport athletes

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Spring sports getting the extra year makes sense. Can't see how they do the same for winter. If a kid tore his ACL this late in the year they would've give a medical redshirt. But if all of this happened in, say, November then I could see them potentially doing something witb the eligibility of winter sport athletes

I definitely see your point. This is so unprecedented considering it impacted seniors on 60+ teams 

Well they’re looking into it for winter sports... I wonder which of our guys would return if they were able to do so? With talent we have coming in their starting spot might not be guaranteed.

I dont see any equitable way of doing this. One team may have several seniors, one may have none. So you are going to give a team more schollies than others? It's just effed up regardless. Might as well accept it as it is and move on. And yes, it sucks.

5 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I dont see any equitable way of doing this. One team may have several seniors, one may have none. So you are going to give a team more schollies than others? It's just effed up regardless. Might as well accept it as it is and move on. And yes, it sucks.

Seems like it’ll throw recruiting out of wack too from the scholarship view that you pointed out. 

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Seems like it’ll throw recruiting out of wack too. 

Yep, you still have recruits coming in. As bad as it is, better to just leave it alone.

No you keep scholarship limitations the same just allow exemptions for seniors who choose to take the extra year. A Mac, Wiley, J’von. DP. All with an extra year. How cool would that be? 

Just now, alexava said:

No you keep scholarship limitations the same just allow exemptions for seniors who choose to take the extra year. A Mac, Wiley, J’von. DP. All with an extra year. How cool would that be? 

Exactly, just provide a waiver to the school and seniors that wish to return...or better yet, release the brackets and only offer the waivers to the seniors that want to return that were on the tournament teams.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly, just provide a waiver to the school and seniors that wish to return...or better yet, release the brackets and only offer the waivers to the seniors that want to return that were on the tournament teams.

Yes at this point I think you might have to issue waivers to all teams that were.500 or above. All bubble teams. 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Highly doubt this will happen for winter sports like basketball. Much greater chance it happens for the Spring sports.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

You are still giving more "scholarships" to some teams than others based on the number of seniors they have. Would never be done. Not in basketball, anyway.

It causes too much trouble in my opinion. It sucks for these guys but let's just leave it alone imo. Could end up causing trouble for us in recruiting.

If we close out this recruiting class like we are hoping AND get these seniors back, we will have a HUGE advantage going into next year. 

My biggest concern for next season was depth and experience, specifically at the Center and Point Guard position. This would also allow some of our backups to get more experience before they are thrust into a starting role.

Granting this petition would set Auburn and Bruce Pearl up for years to come. Very crucial decision for the Tigers!

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Very crucial decision for the Tigers!

Disagree. The way we are recruiting we will be a big player most years as long as Bruce is here. Not crucial.

I would rather them come through with a plan to re-do the conference tournaments man.

I'm gonna say something slightly controversial, shouldn't be at all if you thought about things objectively, there's quite a few programs that already have recruits in mind they value more than players that were set to go. I'm always player first, but imagine trying to tell an Oklahoma State to pull their scholly on Cade Cunningham or for UNC to turn down Walker Kessler so they can make the schollys work. To really get this pushed through, they'd have to find some medium with that issue 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

I feel like that's cool and nice, but (playing devil's advocate) not a practical idea for the NCAA. They just don't seem like an entity that can be that nice

This totally needs to happen for spring sports. It really is unfortunate that b-ball was affected but it’s not logical to include the winter sports at this point. You would have to make inclusion for all seniors regardless of school, record, season outcome, etc. It’s just not gonna work, is what it is. Spring sports is a different animal I think. 

On 3/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, ellitor said:

Disagree. The way we are recruiting we will be a big player most years as long as Bruce is here. Not crucial.

Agreed - my point is that I think we take a step back next year if we don’t get these seniors back. How much does that hurt our brand if true? Still TBD. Too many unknowns on next year’s team - especially with recruiting up in the air at this point. 

Jon Rothstein doesn’t even have us in his preseason top 45 for next year. As good as we’ve been the last 3 years, we still don’t have the brand to get respect yet. Getting these seniors would likely vault us into the preseason top 10. 

Archived