National Prayer Day

gr82be

53 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

During this unprecedented event in modern times, we all have an abundance of time to ponder. Some questions have come to mind. If we assume god is all powerful and loving and has a plan as most Christians do then...

1. This virus impacts all of us, regardless of race, color, and creed. Why does he choose not to fix the situation immediately  and put an end to world wide suffering due to the impact of Covid-19?

2. If he has an omnipotent plan, than what effect, if any, does prayer have to change the outcome?

Interested to hear your thoughts on this. 

Your questions, in one variation or another, are as old as humanity and remain unanswered to this day. Believers have a set of answers that satisfy them. Non believers continue to ask those questions. In due course, we will all find out. Or else we won't.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, madkat7 said:

During this unprecedented event in modern times, we all have an abundance of time to ponder. Some questions have come to mind. If we assume god is all powerful and loving and has a plan as most Christians do then...

1. This virus impacts all of us, regardless of race, color, and creed. Why does he choose not to fix the situation immediately  and put an end to world wide suffering due to the impact of Covid-19?

2. If he has an omnipotent plan, than what effect, if any, does prayer have to change the outcome?

Question 1. I suggest reading the book of Job. I am not a religious person , although I do consider myself a god fearing man. The hard truth is you can’t rationalize this. As Christians and as human beings you may never get an answer nor do you deserve an answer. I had this same discussion with some fellow church goers at my workplace the other day. Sometimes the answer won’t be available but the response to the turbulence is key. I don’t think this is the good medium to discuss this topic. Again this is based on my readings of the Bible. 

9 hours ago, DAG said:
11 hours ago, madkat7 said:

Question 1. I suggest reading the book of Job. I am not a religious person , although I do consider myself a god fearing man. The hard truth is you can’t rationalize this. As Christians and as human beings you may never get an answer nor do you deserve an answer. I had this same discussion with some fellow church goers at my workplace the other day. Sometimes the answer won’t be available but the response to the turbulence is key. I don’t think this is the good medium to discuss this topic. Again this is based on my readings of the Bible. 

I agree with DAG that this is probably not the forum, only because invariably the discussions like this sadly, always turn into politics.  However, I'll be happy to give my perspective, if you truly are interested and not just baiting Christians, but it would probably be better in a different forum to avoid the garbage that is sure to follow.

Nutshell point though.... Our earthly lives are not the ultimate goal.  God has given us free-will and, because of original sin that soiled the Paradise God created, with free-will now comes consequences.  It's not the goal of man to "make the most of this life".  It's our goal to please Him.....period.  If you please Him, you will receive the ultimate reward.  With that said, pleasing Him is actually very easy if you have true faith.  Believing in Jesus Christ, trusting Him as your Lord & Saviour is ALL that is necessary.  That's it.  If you truly do that, then The Holy Spirit will guide you.

That's not to say He expects us to be perfect.  Satan saw to that...  However, if you are truly a Christian, you will feel convicted of your sins and naturally try to live a more Godly life.  Do we always succeed?  Of course not.  That's the good news of the gospel.  We don't have to be perfect because HE was (and is). 

Unfortunately, life on Earth is allowed to suffer.  Thank Satan for that.  And yes, even true Christians suffer (just look at me), but when our faith is tested, how we respond is key.  

This is VERY basic info.  If you'd honestly like more of my perspective (with more detail) I'm happy to oblige....it IS the Great Commission afterall.  But I'll refrain from going further here as I'm not wanting to get the thread locked down.

God bless & War Eagle!

PS.  I've given a testimonial in the "Encouragement Spot During the "Corona-tine" thread in All Things Considered to give you a little more perspective of how a Christian handles a scary & sad situation (my stage 4 cancer) & the importance of prayer.  I hope it helps in your quest for answers.  But it ain't about me... it's about The Lord!!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree with DAG that this is probably not the forum, only because invariably the discussions like this sadly, always turn into politics.  However, I'll be happy to give my perspective, if you truly are interested and not just baiting Christians, but it would probably be better in a different forum to avoid the garbage that is sure to follow.

Nutshell point though.... Our earthly lives are not the ultimate goal.  God has given us free-will and, because of original sin that soiled the Paradise God created, with free-will now comes consequences.  It's not the goal of man to "make the most of this life".  It's our goal to please Him.....period.  If you please Him, you will receive the ultimate reward.  With that said, pleasing Him is actually very easy if you have true faith.  Believing in Jesus Christ, trusting Him as your Lord & Saviour is ALL that is necessary.  That's it.  If you truly do that, then The Holy Spirit will guide you.

That's not to say He expects us to be perfect.  Satan saw to that...  However, if you are truly a Christian, you will feel convicted of your sins and naturally try to live a more Godly life.  Do we always succeed?  Of course not.  That's the good news of the gospel.  We don't have to be perfect because HE was (and is). 

Unfortunately, life on Earth is allowed to suffer.  Thank Satan for that.  And yes, even true Christians suffer (just look at me), but when our faith is tested, how we respond is key.  

This is VERY BASIC info.  If you'd honestly like more of my perspective I'm happy to oblige....it IS the Great Commission afterall.  But I'll refrain to go further here as I'm not wanting to get the thread locked down.

God bless & War Eagle!

Well stated and just flat out spot on! 

3 hours ago, madkat7 said:

He is all powerful and loving for sure. He doesn't create the problems we face but He assures us we do not have to face them alone. Prayer is a conversation with God. No Thou's or Thy's  are needed. What happens here is of no consequence. I am not a careless person by any means but I am not worried about my life here or the afterlife. As 72 said, anyone who believes and accepts what Jesus did for us as our Savior will live in eternity with Him. Times like these bring people closer to Him. If you're a parent then you want your children to trust you and He wants the same from us. I can't explain it all but I am sure He loves us all equally. The question is really how much we love Him. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

DAG...I had no idea the verse I'll share below existed until the week of March 16...right when things really began to ramp up with Alabama's response... 

I too have been intrigued with the discourses seen in Job during this season. Job is NEVER given a reason why. He is, however, DOUBLE-blessed at the end of it. I'm journaling all the blessings I'm witnessing RIGHT NOW, in the midst of it, all the good...and the list is growing.

My wisest question/response, "What now, Lord, and use me to make a difference for the better." 

Thank YOU for all your "frontlines" service. I've missed you on here lately. 🤗🦋

Job 37:7 New International Version (NIV)

So that everyone he has made may know his work,
    he stops all people from their labor.[a]

10 hours ago, madkat7 said:

Hey madkat, I love that you're asking! You're right...there's more time to ponder these things. We're building a thread in All Things Considered..."Encouragement During Coronatine"...from a Christian perspective. Some of the posts there may add some insight or comfort. 

1. To your #1, short as I can state it, God's always been about spiritual healing first. Get that right, and the rest usually falls into place. For Christians, physical healing is great and desired, but from an eternal perspective, only just temporary. Get eternal in place, and all else pales, as precious and wonderful as all else can be. God's healing is very seldom instant, from Biblical history and pattern. Think of it this way...just because you have the power to do something, do you always do it/use it/grant it, if there might be a better, long- range reason not to?

2. Prayer does many things, but it especially lets God know where an individual's mind and heart are. And how often. And how deep. Put two or more together, and it's literally dynamite. Don't know how or why, just know "that". For self or others? Big pic or microperspective? One's priorities? Aligned purpose with the One who designed it all, guides it all, and puts up with the free will of all, which creates more modern day "40 year Promised Land journeys that should have taken only weeks?" than any can calculate? 😫

When people sincerely pray this prayer during Covid19, it stirs Him as it did in ancient times. He has chosen to let prayers move His heart throughout Scripture. I believe anything terrible that has ever ended (one example, liberation of Nazi concentration camps) has come about through relentless prayer. We all wish trials would end sooner, human nature. If not for a remnant of true believers who wouldn't quit in intercessory prayer throughout generations, I believe they might have extended even longer. #PERSPECTIVE 

Often, as divided as we are about any and everything, getting two or more to agree to pray, period, is miraculous! 

I'm no theologian, just a sinful, saved-by-grace Pollyanna set free walking in faith, love, and joyful hope...yearning for some company. You be blessed...you're asking, and that's HUGE. See you on All Things Considered! ❤🙏🦋🦅

2 Chronicles 7:14 New International Version (NIV)

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

(That's a pretty conditional prayer from the One who sets the terms, starting with IF. The IF is our part of the free will-omnipotence waltz that has tangoed throughout time.) 

Prayer 🙏 is not about changing God’s mind or getting Him to do something for us. This is the misunderstanding most people have, even most Christians,  that prayer is about getting God to do something for us. Praying is about aligning my wants with God’s plan for me and His creation. “Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven “. 

Thanks to those of you for the insights. I do appreciate it. The extents and ramifications of this situation are so profound that it will surely leave a dent in the collective psyche of the world. One wonders what changes or lack thereof we will see as a result. Peace, health and safety to all.

Archived