2021 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

tigerbrotha12

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

With 2 official spots open on the team does anyone have a feel for what Pearl plans to do to fill them? Are there still high quality players available in the portal or is it possible we'll leave some spots open for extra signees next season? Our roster has amazingly skewed much older over the course of 1 season with several guys i see as possible early NBA departures. So I could see the value in saving for a big singing class of young ones since we likely won't be able to use transfers immediately again.

I can see Pearl looking to fill at least 1, but I don't see him able to get 2 really good players in.

The only transfer that i think that is really good that may/may not declare NBA is Carr out of Minnesota. 

There maybe some JUCO guards out there but I'm not sure who they are...

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, steeleagle said:

I can see Pearl looking to fill at least 1, but I don't see him able to get 2 really good players in.

The only transfer that i think that is really good that may/may not declare NBA is Carr out of Minnesota. 

There maybe some JUCO guards out there but I'm not sure who they are...

One thing one MUST consider is team moral. Really good/great players want to play so those last three spots really should be for developmental players(diamonds in the rough-usually big men like Stretch that need time to get better, but have the basic tools like athleticism and height.). A coach can get ten players decent minutes, but if a really good player sits too much bench they tend to get angry and transfer out (see Mitchell to Baylor) Coach is awesome, but Coach did not handle Mitchell's PT well his season here. Coach learned from it and the next season played Harper some at the 2 giving the back-up PG some PT (J'von), which paid off BIG.  So if coach can not find those diamonds in the rough this season it is best to award a senior walk on and have those spots for next year in case some great high school or transfer players want to jump on board or a diamond in the rough is out there. 

Edited by johnjacob
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mrclark063 said:

I am writing a book right now and I have a moment in the story where the character witnesses a three pointer buzzer beater in real life. How impressive do you think this would be? Is it something quite rare even in professional leagues? I've seen some examples in NBA but still wondering how impressive it would be received by an outsider (or even for other players)?

Sorry if this kinda question is not allowed, I just needed some long time basketball fans to help me with this. Thanks!

It greatly depends upon the situation. If it's a buzzer beater to win a game that you should have won more handily, then it's tense with concern from the home crowd, with a breath of relief when the winning shot goes in. If it's a game that doesn't mean much of anything, then there is jubilation, but it's more of a "heck yeah, that was fun...now let's get outta here," kind of thing.

But if it's a big game, either a rivalry or a championship game, as I would imagine it would have to be for your book, it's awe inspiring. The crowd goes absolutely nuts, and the player who made the three either gets dogpiled or lifted up on shoulders by his teammates. Might be a good effect to have the coach be completely even and steady the whole way through the book until that last shot, when he cannot help but throw his hands up in victory (or whatever...that's just the kind of thing I like as a reader).

With regard to how rare it is, it's not exactly common. Most of the time, basketball games don't come down to the last shot, and even when they do, more often than not, that shot is missed. So a game winning, buzzer beating 3-pointer, especially if you put the hero in a position where he has to adjust at the last second to make the shot over outstretched fingertips, is incredibly impressive. It is, quite literally, the epitome of big time clutch. This situation ranks up there with hitting a walk off three run home run in baseball. Not quite on the same level of rarity as a Hail Mary at the end of a football game, but it's a similar kind of feeling.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 12:18 AM, Rednilla said:

The crowd goes absolutely nuts, and the player who made the three either gets dogpiled or lifted up on shoulders by his teammates.

The outsider's reaction would correlate directly to this, I'd think.

@mrclark063, it might be instructive to google "stephen frye auburn game" and watch the video. His reaction is based more on just the overwhelming spectacle and pageantry of the Iron Bowl, but it's still a glimpse into our collective psyche, IMO. And, I mean, it's a British dude crying in Jordan Hare. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The outsider's reaction would correlate directly to this, I'd think.

@mrclark063, it might be instructive to google "stephen frye auburn game" and watch the video. His reaction is based more on just the overwhelming spectacle and pageantry of the Iron Bowl, but it's still a glimpse into our collective psyche, IMO. And, I mean, it's a British dude crying in Jordan Hare. 

I had never seen that...had to have been done for the 09 Iron Bowl, I guess.

To be fair, though, that's football, not basketball. Basketball can be just as crazy, but in a more compact area. I mean, there are no basketball venues that hold 100,000 people.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I had never seen that...had to have been done for the 09 Iron Bowl, I guess.

To be fair, though, that's football, not basketball. Basketball can be just as crazy, but in a more compact area. I mean, there are no basketball venues that hold 100,000 people.

Oh yeah, definitely not trying to compare the two directly. More like, "This is how powerful a sporting event atmosphere can be to someone who has a limited frame of reference, or none at all." Further to your comments, it's the collective reaction that will let this character know how excited they should be more than the event itself. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Has there been much discussion of Tre Donaldson as a hoops prospect?

Not much on here, at least, just the mention of it. I'm not even sure if he's rated on recruiting sites as a basketball prospect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Not much on here, at least, just the mention of it. I'm not even sure if he's rated on recruiting sites as a basketball prospect.

He is a 3-star PG prospect. Probably a depth piece if he decides to struck with B-ball. 

I’m not appraised of the most recent scholly count rules, but I believe if he is counted for football, then he is not counted for basketball, but that may have changed. That would definitely be a plus.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Donaldson-46101161/high-school-250375/?Sport=2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

He is a 3-star PG prospect. Probably a depth piece if he decides to struck with B-ball. 

I’m not appraised of the most recent scholly count rules, but I believe if he is counted for football, then he is not counted for basketball, but that may have changed. That would definitely be a plus.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Donaldson-46101161/high-school-250375/?Sport=2

Last I heard, I believe that's the way it was. Thanks for the link; I went looking in point guards and couldn't find him. Maybe that was just the Top247? I dunno.

Means alot to me that we were able to close the lead Florida had on the fella, for both of our programs. I think if he's great at football, we probably don't see much of him in basketball anyway, but it'd be nice to have another depth piece 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Means alot to me that we were able to close the lead Florida had on the fella, for both of our programs. I think if he's great at football, we probably don't see much of him in basketball anyway, but it'd be nice to have another depth piece 

Bruh Tre is hand picked by Bruce himself to be our PG of the future. He will eventually phase out playing football just like Flash and Worm did not do much track after awhile either.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruh Tre is hand picked by Bruce himself to be our PG of the future. He will eventually phase out playing football just like Flash and Worm did not do much track after awhile either.

Not that I'm contradicting you or anything, but where did you pick up this information? 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Not that I'm contradicting you or anything, but where did you pick up this information? 

AU Rivals. AU 247 has the worst basketball coverage I've ever seen. It's non existent. It's a embarrassment. 

Edited by GwillMac6

Two more days and we could be picking a PG Tre and a CG Zion. I am one of the ones who discount the people who say Bruce wants somebody other than Zion. I feel like Zion is a take. If there is another CG that Bruce likes if they are both in the 6'4" to 6'6'  range they could also play SF. In the Bruce offense SG and SF are almost interchangeable.

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Two more days and we could be picking a PG Tre and a CG Zion. I am one of the ones who discount the people who say Bruce wants somebody other than Zion. I feel like Zion is a take. If there is another CG that Bruce likes if they are both in the 6'4" to 6'6'  range they could also play SF. In the Bruce offense SG and SF are almost interchangeable.

So Zion has now delayed his commitment date.

Something is going on, regardless of how many scratch their head that Pearl is being cautious in letting him commit....

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So Zion has now delayed his commitment date.

Something is going on, regardless of how many scratch their head that Pearl is being cautious in letting him commit....

You are right my post was before Zion changed the date, I really thought Bruce would have Zion sign and still try and pick up Smith apparently I was wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are right my post was before Zion changed the date, I really thought Bruce would have Zion sign and still try and pick up Smith apparently I was wrong.

I really want to trust, but this is madness. Why in the world are we trying to piss off a 5* SG? More importantly, we would we not want TWO 5* SG’d and play them both?

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I really want to trust, but this is madness. Why in the world are we trying to piss off a 5* SG? More importantly, we would we not want TWO 5* SG’d and play them both?

Maybe he is afraid Zion will go to one of the pro leagues. 

Maybe Pearl thinks Zion is over rated.

Maybe Pearl thinks Zions is not a good fit for the team culture. 

All of those are perfectly reasonable reasons Pearl would pass on a player without him needing to be crazy. But I will say that i tend to lean your way in sign up as many as you can a sort it out later. Especially this year where i could see us losing several players to the draft or portal. We also missed on Desi due to transfer credits so it would seem like we have an extra SG spot open already. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 12:14 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Dang, Penny ain't playin', is he?