2021 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

tigerbrotha12

I think the COVID-19 really hurt us in recruiting, especially with Cliff Omoruji & Greg Brown.

Omoruji picked Rutgers (terrible decision) because he wanted to stay close to home after the Coronavirus hit. 

Shaka Smart would have been fired after not making the NCAA tournament. Brown could have still gone to the G-league or somewhere else, but it wouldn’t have been Texas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Omoruji picked Rutgers (terrible decision

@CameronCrazy Why? They were playing good basketball & were going to be in the NCAA Tourney had it not been cancelled.

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Shaka Smart would have been fired after not making the NCAA tournament. Brown could have still gone to the G-league or somewhere else, but it wouldn’t have been Texas.

What's the beef with Texas? I would rather lose him to his childhood favorite than to anyone else, especially since his childhood favorite isn't in the SEC.

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I think the COVID-19 really hurt us in recruiting, especially with Cliff Omoruji & Greg Brown.

Omoruji picked Rutgers (terrible decision) because he wanted to stay close to home after the Coronavirus hit. 

I feel like it allowed a couple recruits to dwell and think, which doesn't appear to have helped us. I genuinly dont believe Green would've went pro if he was still riding the momentum of two NCAA tourney teams pushing him heavy, in person and not

On 4/24/2020 at 8:59 PM, Rednilla said:

What's the beef with Texas? I would rather lose him to his childhood favorite than to anyone else, especially since his childhood favorite isn't in the SEC.

Nothing against Texas. Greg Brown stated that he wouldn’t sign with Texas if Shaka Smart was fired. My only point was that Texas would have been eliminated and we would have had a better shot at signing him if the season had played out and Shaka would have been fired.

23 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Nothing against Texas. Greg Brown stated that he wouldn’t sign with Texas if Shaka Smart was fired. My only point was that Texas would have been eliminated and we would have had a better shot at signing him if the season had played out and Shaka would have been fired.

I know it happens, and it's even happened for us, but signing for a coach...an unsuccessful coach at this point in his career....I dunno man. Even signing for a Nate Oats makes sense, young guy, great offensive IQ, a Will Wade...does a great job of developing guys on this level, kind of an underwhelming coach when it comes to winning games but hey, that doesnt matter to Greg anyway apparently. Signing for Shaka Smart though???

On 4/26/2020 at 12:28 AM, CameronCrazy said:

Ah, apologies for the misunderstanding, then.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

How likely is it that the potential sanctions for the basketball program impact our recruiting this year?

Maybe not much. As of right now we only have one scholarship available for the 2021 class and if we do take a transfer it may be 0.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe not much. As of right now we only have one scholarship available for the 2021 class and if we do take a transfer it may be 0.

Can players transfer without sitting out when there’s a postseason ban?

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Can players transfer without sitting out when there’s a postseason ban?

Only if they get a waiver for themselves. Post season ban has no bearing on transfer eligibility.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Joyful Hawkins does that mean we probably are saving our one scholly this year so we can take him next year?  Then if we want anybody else next year we have to basically get somebody to leave is that correct?

By the way I love the name Joyful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Joyful Hawkins does that mean we probably are saving our one scholly this year so we can take him next year?

@AuburnNTexas he’s in the 2022 class. That’s not next year. That’s the year after next class. If we don’t use the scholarship in the current class, which is 2020, that would go to the 2021 class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we miss on JD Davidson, how are y’all feeling about Bruce Pearl’s recruiting? The # of losses on the recruiting trail is starting to pile up. Bruce Pearl is still a great motivator and evaluator of talent, but we aren’t having near the success that I thought we’d have on the recruiting trail after going to a Final Four.

Is it the Shoe brand that’s holding him back from being an elite recruiter? Do we need another recruiting ace on the staff? I don’t understand how teams like LSU (Will Wade) and Tennessee (Rick Barnes) are our-recruiting us right now.

• Facepalm 4
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

If we miss on JD Davidson, how are y’all feeling about Bruce Pearl’s recruiting? The # of losses on the recruiting trail is starting to pile up. Bruce Pearl is still a great motivator and evaluator of talent, but we aren’t having near the success that I thought we’d have on the recruiting trail after going to a Final Four.

Is it the Shoe brand that’s holding him back from being an elite recruiter? Do we need another recruiting ace on the staff? I don’t understand how teams like LSU (Will Wade) and Tennessee (Rick Barnes) are our-recruiting us right now.

I think it’s more that AU has been recruiting the elite of elite and many have turned to the pre-NBA league which I think will really hurt college ball. Barnes is an great recruiter and Wade finds lots of cash!

On 8/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, CameronCrazy said:

I posted in another thread about having some worries about our misses but you're not going to find many folks sharing that concern. We are recruiting better than ever so I can understand why folks aren't eager to criticize.

One thing i would note is that this will probably be a small class compared to the last 2. So I would expect us to be picky on who gets offers and are allowed to commit. We have a lot of underclassmen now on the team due to the recruiting hiatus from the Person troubles. So unless a few transfer after this season we won't have many open spots.   

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 7:49 AM, CameronCrazy said:

I mean, you're going to innately lose more than you win in basketball versus football. People seem to forget that Auburn got several contested recruits last cycle and got their gems in the rough they usually seek. As one of the first cycles post-FF, it definitely set a good precedent. And if you actually listen to any experts that know the industry that've been asked about our last cycle, there's a reason they ALL were impressed. 

Auburn was a HORRIBLE program, that's not a paradigm you shift after a couple successful seasons. Implying Bruce Pearl isn't an elite recruiter also....lol

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I posted in another thread about having some worries about our misses but you're not going to find many folks sharing that concern. We are recruiting better than ever so I can understand why folks aren't eager to criticize.

One thing i would note is that this will probably be a small class compared to the last 2. So I would expect us to be picky on who gets offers and are allowed to commit. We have a lot of underclassmen now on the team due to the recruiting hiatus from the Person troubles. So unless a few transfer after this season we won't have many open spots.   

The only hole I feel we have in our recruiting is getting that top 10-15 player national player if he resides in the state of Alabama. As long as Pearl has been here now I  wanted to think if the state of Alabama had a top level BB player then I hoped Pearl was going to be our Saban or our Calipari with in state recruits. If he wants him 9 out of 10 times he gets them.

I am very happy with the overall recruiting Pearl has done for sure. So much better than his predecessors. Thank goodness. So this isn't a complaint. Just an observation and my own feeling on this.  

A couple more lottery picks and deep tourney runs over a couple more years and there Won’t be much that other programs will be able to hold over CBP and auburn (other than trophy’s from time gone by)

Success on the court, tv exposure, dynamic home court, excellent education, draft picks and the one thing the other schools can’t touch ... family vibe on the plains.

We are about to have 2 high first round picks in 2 years. 

Yes, it reads like an a4e post but to think we are slipping in recruiting is funny we just had the highest rated class in our school's history. Ranked #7 in the country I believe. That isn't slipping haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From MY understanding, if we dropped Under Armour for Nike tomorrow, this program would have nothing stopping it from recruiting RIGHT under the Kentuckys and Dukes. We'd be top tier annually. I haven't heard of any other hindrances (that we can change) other than that

• Like 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The only hole I feel we have in our recruiting is getting that top 10-15 player national player if he resides in the state of Alabama. As long as Pearl has been here now I  wanted to think if the state of Alabama had a top level BB player then I hoped Pearl was going to be our Saban or our Calipari with in state recruits. If he wants him 9 out of 10 times he gets them.

I am very happy with the overall recruiting Pearl has done for sure. So much better than his predecessors. Thank goodness. So this isn't a complaint. Just an observation and my own feeling on this.  

To be honest, with Davidson, maybe I'm way off base here, and the basketball recruiting guys will tell me if I am I'm sure, but I think we're hurt in that we have Coop expected to stay for at least two seasons. I mean, I know Davidson could easily play the 2, but how much would he want to when he can go somewhere else and take over point from day 1?

• Like 1