2021 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

tigerbrotha12

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

To be honest, with Davidson, maybe I'm way off base here, and the basketball recruiting guys will tell me if I am I'm sure, but I think we're hurt in that we have Coop expected to stay for at least two seasons. I mean, I know Davidson could easily play the 2, but how much would he want to when he can go somewhere else and take over point from day 1?

With Coop's talent if he was a couple of inches taller and a little thicker I think he could easily be a one and done.  But because he is not a couple inches taller and a little thicker I agree that he will probably be at Auburn at least 2 years.  If Davidson thinks he is a one and done talent as a PG I could see Coop's presence impacting his decision. He would want to showcase his PG skills for the NBA.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With Coop's talent if he was a couple of inches taller and a little thicker I think he could easily be a one and done.  But because he is not a couple inches taller and a little thicker I agree that he will probably be at Auburn at least 2 years.  If Davidson thinks he is a one and done talent as a PG I could see Coop's presence impacting his decision. He would want to showcase his PG skills for the NBA.

nail hammer.jpg

On 8/23/2020 at 7:49 AM, CameronCrazy said:

If we miss on JD Davidson, how are y’all feeling about Bruce Pearl’s recruiting?

Great! We just landed our best class ever.

we aren’t having near the success that I thought we’d have on the recruiting trail after going to a Final Four.

Then your expectations were quite a ways off base.

Is it the Shoe brand that’s holding him back from being an elite recruiter?

It is a major hurdle & most AU basketball recruiting fans know this.

Do we need another recruiting ace on the staff?

We have 3 aces on staff with Bruce, Ira, & Steven.

I don’t understand how teams like LSU (Will Wade) and Tennessee (Rick Barnes) are our-recruiting us right now

It's only marginally to think UT is. They had a slightly better rating per recruit than we did last class. We have a better rating per recruit score than LSU. The only reason they had more total points is they took 1 more player than we did. Both schools have a much better basketball tradition & the big Nike advantage but didn't out lap us in recruiting. That says a lot about how great our staff is at recruiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2020 at 6:14 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

From MY understanding, if we dropped Under Armour for Nike tomorrow, this program would have nothing stopping it from recruiting RIGHT under the Kentuckys and Dukes. We'd be top tier annually. I haven't heard of any other hindrances (that we can change) other than that

Even Addidas (which is likely who we would go with because they would offer quite a bit bigger contract than Nike) would be a major upgrade.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Even Addidas (which is likely who we would go with because they would offer quite a bit bigger contract than Nike) would be a major upgrade.

Is it possible to go with Adidas for shoes only, and Under Armour for the rest of the apparel? I really like UA for clothing...

23 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Is it possible to go with Adidas for shoes only, and Under Armour for the rest of the apparel? I really like UA for clothing...

Doubt the apparel contracts would allow that.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doubt the apparel contracts would allow that.

That's what I figured, but I was just hoping. I'm hoping that the going thought is we will not be going with UA, then? And when does the contract expire, again?

Also, if we go with Adidas, how does that work competitively with Nike/Reebok/whoever else? I mean, would we still be a notch below in prestige, or would it be more of a level playing field?

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'm hoping that the going thought is we will not be going with UA, then?

Hard to say. That's still 4 years away as things stand now.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Also, if we go with Adidas, how does that work competitively with Nike/Reebok/whoever else? I mean, would we still be a notch below in prestige, or would it be more of a level playing field?

Still below Nike & the Jordan Brand but a lot better than where we are now.

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That's what I figured, but I was just hoping. I'm hoping that the going thought is we will not be going with UA, then? And when does the contract expire, again?

(Wrote this post earlier but I guess it didn't send)

Adidas sponsors these universities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships . Nike is obviously cream of the crop, but Adidas will at least allow you to play with an even playing field. 

Revenue (as of 2014): https://www.athleticbusiness.com/marketing/top-apparel-companies-vying-for-college-athletic-contracts.html 

"Though fast emerging as an industry player, work remains to be done if Under Armour hopes to close a still sizeable revenue gap. While Nike generated $27.8 billion in revenue in 2014, and Adidas garnered $19.2 billion, Under Armour attained approximately $3 billion." We can put up a really good fight with Adidas

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

(Wrote this post earlier but I guess it didn't send)

Adidas sponsors these universities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Adidas_sponsorships . Nike is obviously cream of the crop, but Adidas will at least allow you to play with an even playing field. 

Revenue (as of 2014): https://www.athleticbusiness.com/marketing/top-apparel-companies-vying-for-college-athletic-contracts.html 

"Though fast emerging as an industry player, work remains to be done if Under Armour hopes to close a still sizeable revenue gap. While Nike generated $27.8 billion in revenue in 2014, and Adidas garnered $19.2 billion, Under Armour attained approximately $3 billion." We can put up a really good fight with Adidas

I'm down for Adidas. Anything other than UA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So just in the SEC we have 10 Nike teams, 2 Adidas, and 2 UA?

And we continue to stay with UA just because they give us the best dollar value deal? 

an article I read that was dated a few years outright said that loyalty and being prioritized was a big reason why UA schools stuck with them. there was also a small period of time where it really appeared that they were going to close the gap with adidas and be the #2. I dont know the revenue that year, but its clear from the circles I follow that time came and went with Stephen Curry's reign as top dog in the basketball world 

I will also add, they got F-ed out of having two UA schools in the natty a couple years back, which would've obviously worked numbers. Other than Auburn and Tech, I don't know what other perennial big dogs they got 

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So just in the SEC we have 10 Nike teams, 2 Adidas, and 2 UA?

And we continue to stay with UA just because they give us the best dollar value deal? 

@steeleagle The contracted deal was made 5 years ago & lasts another 4. We can't just say...

Bye Bye Felicia GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle The contracted deal was made 5 years ago & lasts another 4. We can't just say...

Bye Bye Felicia GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

No, I understand these long contracts. I saw some that were even longer than ours with some for 15 years.

But I was wondering when the last renewal was done, how serious were the other companies competing with UA for our contract? Bruce was in only his 2nd year so probably didn't have much input too.

We are a heritage program for UA, as I think we were one of the first to go with them back about 15 years ago.

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I was wondering when the last renewal was done, how serious were the other companies competing with UA for our contract?

Not much. At the time under armor’s offer was supposedly quite a bit better because they were looking for a big-time program where as Nike and Adidas already had their share. Also Jar Jar Jacobs didn’t understand the importance of having the right apparel company for basketball .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not much. At the time under armor’s offer was supposedly quite a bit better because they were looking for a big-time program where as Nike and Adidas already had their share. Also Jar Jar Jacobs didn’t understand the importance of having the right apparel company for basketball .

Do any schools split their contract between sports?

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Does Greene? :)

And even if it is advantageous to go with a better basketball apprarel company, can we do it, given that football still is the major provider of the brand, and UA doesn't want to lose Auburn?

Is it possible to dump UA and go Air Jordan? Isn't that being branded differently than Nike now?  I know at least Red said he likes the UA clothing. Everyone has their own clothing opinion but I don't like UA for anything. Their business seems to be a shambles right now too. Their stock is a disaster. The sooner we can get away from them, the better. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Do any schools split their contract between sports?

Not to my knowledge. I have gotten this question about once a month recently. lol

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Does Greene?

Won't know til 2024.

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And even if it is advantageous to go with a better basketball apprarel company, can we do it, given that football still is the major provider of the brand, and UA doesn't want to lose Auburn?

@steeleagle Doubt football cares or has a preference where the apparel comes from as long as the deal is what's best for the athletic department. UA may not have a choice when the contract is up if not before then.

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Is it possible to dump UA and go Air Jordan?

@JFDTiger80 Not unless UA wants out of the contract.

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Isn't that being branded differently than Nike now?

Technically yes but not on a real level. Addidas would likely outbid Nike & JA by a wide margin as we would be much more important to them.

I think I made the point before without any evidence, but JH really was the gift that kept giving back. Referencing the fact that he has some connections and even admiration from a few Georgia cats. Bruce puts his own work in on GA obviously, but I think Jared could end up being one of the best gambles in Auburn history

On 8/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, ellitor said:

@JFDTiger80 Not unless UA wants out of the contract.

Technically yes but not on a real level. Addidas would likely outbid Nike & JA by a wide margin as we would be much more important to them.

What's more important to Auburn may not be the company that puts forward the highest bid. The powers that be better be thinking about what brand can help my players compete better as well as recruit better. The better the teams are, the more valuable the Auburn brand will be. The brands that will help are Nike and Jordan. UA is a definite no, and I would argue Adidas will not help as much as Nike or Jordan too.

Also, when our contract is up with UA, they will not be able to do anything about our choice of equipment provider.