2021 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

tigerbrotha12

4 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I would argue Adidas will not help as much as Nike or Jordan too.

@JFDTiger80 in some ways no but is Nike or Jordan even going to put up a contract to make it comparable? The trending thought around the AD right now is no.

Outside of Jabari and JD, who do we think are our top ‘21 targets right now? Curious about our other targets as these two are probably toss-ups for us to land at best. I know we are in a position to take our pick with this class, but it’d be nice to come away with at least one top HS recruit. 

Seems like we recruited Collins and Graham at least somewhat, but they’ve committed elsewhere. Rivals this morning has us as a favorite for Huntley-Hatfield, who could possibly reclassify back into 2021. Any others? 

3 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Outside of Jabari and JD, who do we think are our top ‘21 targets right now? Curious about our other targets as these two are probably toss-ups for us to land at best. I know we are in a position to take our pick with this class, but it’d be nice to come away with at least one top HS recruit. 

Seems like we recruited Collins and Graham at least somewhat, but they’ve committed elsewhere. Rivals this morning has us as a favorite for Huntley-Hatfield, who could possibly reclassify back into 2021. Any others? 

@Dunndone414

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 5:06 PM, ellitor said:

@JFDTiger80 in some ways no but is Nike or Jordan even going to put up a contract to make it comparable? The trending thought around the AD right now is no.

Interesting. Not really great for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw in the JD thread that we are looking very good for him. How many scholarships do we have available for next year. I thought it was either 1 or 0.   Does that mean if we get him we are done or do we think somebody will leave to give us another slot.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I saw in the JD thread that we are looking very good for him. How many scholarships do we have available for next year. I thought it was either 1.  Does that mean if we get him we are done or do we think somebody will leave to give us another slot.

I would not worry too much about space. You can probably expect 2-3 signees is my guess. If they find guys that they think will make us better then we'll sign em.  

OP updated with descriptions and current state of recruits and their recruitment. 247 profiles are linked as well. Let me know if I missed anyone on AU's board who is not already committed elsewhere. 

Edited by tigerbrotha12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, Dan McDonald has switched his FutureCast from Auburn to Bama on JD Davidson. Still haven't heard anything from team contributors, so I'm weary of it. Hope it's just a feeling pick from McDonald that doesn't come true. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Unfortunately, Dan McDonald has switched his FutureCast from Auburn to Bama on JD Davidson. Still haven't heard anything from team contributors, so I'm weary of it. Hope it's just a feeling pick from McDonald that doesn't come true. 

I think that all team contributor's quiet or no responses on this rumor is reason to believe it is not looking good for JD to Auburn.

Don't have any inside info, but since he moved his decision date up, and no more reaffirming predictions to Auburn means to me, he's not coming.

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think that all team contributor's quiet or no responses on this rumor is reason to believe it is not looking good for JD to Auburn.

Don't have any inside info, but since he moved his decision date up, and no more reaffirming predictions to Auburn means to me, he's not coming.

Jboy or Coach at this point still has JD to AU. I saw on twitter earlier that Dean switched his pick to LSU for JD, so it seems the picks are all over the place. 

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Jboy or Coach at this point still has JD to AU. I saw on twitter earlier that Dean switched his pick to LSU for JD, so it seems the picks are all over the place. 

This JD to Alabama rumor just started right about the time he announced moving up his commitment date...24 hrs ago.

IF Jboy or Coach didn't update their picks after that announcement then you are relying on old info.

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

Any idea if we might go after Bryce McGowens?  #33 overall prospect in ESPN's Top 100.  6-6 shooting guard from Greenwood, S.C. who decommitted from FSU earlier this week.

I sure do hope so! This team is a really good SG away from being an elite team. The other pieces are in place. We need one of the following.

1. Bryce McGowens

2. Trey Alexander 

3. Wesley Cardet

34 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I sure do hope so! This team is a really good SG away from being an elite team. The other pieces are in place. We need one of the following.

1. Bryce McGowens

2. Trey Alexander 

3. Wesley Cardet

Seems to be alot of fire for Trey rn, but I would hate to have a 6'3 2 guard with our other undersized guards. 

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Seems to be alot of fire for Trey rn, but I would hate to have a 6'3 2 guard with our other undersized guards. 

I get it, but Bryce Brown was 6’3. Just saying...

Right now we have Cambridge and Powell at SG. Cambridge had some games last year that gave us some real hope he has a nice stroke but not yet a consistent stroke but has  had all summer and this fall to get better and you know he has worked on it. Powell probably would have been a 4* without the injury that affected his game. Both have good height and from what I read Powell has solid ball skills so could fill in at PG.  I want an elite CG but If Cambridge has had the normal year one to year two improvement we see from players under Bruce and Powell is healthy the need may be less than what we think.

We should start getting an idea of what our needs are a few weeks after season starts. Right now we have three Center's Cardwell, Stretch, Thor, PF Thor, Williams, Moore, Franklin, SF Flangan, Cambridge, Powell, Franklin maybe even Thor, SG

Cambridge, Powell, Turbo, Johnson, PG Cooper, Turbo, Powell

We have 12 players on scholly Johnson was a defensive liability last year and never really found his stroke if he has not found his stroke he won't play much, Turbo has had a year in the system despite his height is more SG then PG hopefully his PG skills have improved because with a short PG it is hard to also have a short SG [Yes I know Bryce and Harper were both short], PPG is the big question mark what do we do when Cooper is out, Turbo or Powell and how will that change the dynamic. I am hoping for those that say we did not push that hard for JD it was because Powell and Turbo have impressed the coaches.

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I get it, but Bryce Brown was 6’3. Just saying...

Bryce was a hell of an on ball defender, those are not the norm with 6'3 guys. And Sharife doesn't have the wingspan of Jared to make up for his size on D. The two probably wouldn't share the court together often, but I don't think we have a league average sized PG on the roster either

I just say all that to say if you could pick b/t a marginally less skilled SG that fit the size we have on the roster currently, or Trey....I'd like the former 

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Right now we have Cambridge and Powell at SG. Cambridge had some games last year that gave us some real hope he has a nice stroke but not yet a consistent stroke but has  had all summer and this fall to get better and you know he has worked on it. Powell probably would have been a 4* without the injury that affected his game. Both have good height and from what I read Powell has solid ball skills so could fill in at PG.  I want an elite CG but If Cambridge has had the normal year one to year two improvement we see from players under Bruce and Powell is healthy the need may be less than what we think.

We should start getting an idea of what our needs are a few weeks after season starts. Right now we have three Center's Cardwell, Stretch, Thor, PF Thor, Williams, Moore, Franklin, SF Flangan, Cambridge, Powell, Franklin maybe even Thor, SG

Cambridge, Powell, Turbo, Johnson, PG Cooper, Turbo, Powell

We have 12 players on scholly Johnson was a defensive liability last year and never really found his stroke if he has not found his stroke he won't play much, Turbo has had a year in the system despite his height is more SG then PG hopefully his PG skills have improved because with a short PG it is hard to also have a short SG [Yes I know Bryce and Harper were both short], PPG is the big question mark what do we do when Cooper is out, Turbo or Powell and how will that change the dynamic. I am hoping for those that say we did not push that hard for JD it was because Powell and Turbo have impressed the coaches.

I feel like more than anything, just projecting via the previous season, that shot creation and some playmaking (like PG level playmaking) from another guard is going to be paramount. It was hard to tell with the last era of our team, bc so much of the dribbling was constrained to Jvon, Jared, Bryce, Samir and sometimes Chuma, but DC and Jamal didn't look incredibly comfortable dribbling. I've heard the former has made strides though, so maybe we'll see a difference 

We definitely need 3 people who can handle the ball on the roster at all times IMO. 1st and 2nd string PGs and an alternative option.

Samir was playing backup 1 last season and we didn't have anybody after him who could run things in case of foul trouble, an off game, etc. What are the chances Turbo turns into that option this year? He did not look ready last season although he had some bursts of promise

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 2:23 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bryce was a hell of an on ball defender

You really think so?

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 4:20 PM, Tiger said:

What are the chances Turbo turns into that option this year?

He's a natural two. His handles will need to improve a lot to be effective at the one. 

I think Powell will be the steal of last year's class. Maybe not the most talented, but definitely the best all-around player. He has been practicing some at the one, but I thinks that's more about building competition. Although, he has the skills to be able to play there if needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

You really think so?

I think he gambled alot, and in the time since, I've seen similar style of defenders (Patrick Beverly, comes to mind) that have made me reconsider how valuable that aggression is...BUT. I really believe he set the standard how our guard defenders had to do. I think between how smart Jared and he was with their hands, we had two undersized guys that probably had no business sticking the gauntlet of SEC guards their last season..but they could (well enough to win the matchups). When you see what Herro has become, I truly think him and Samir erasing that guy in a win or go home was amazing.

I think Samir came along, and he's really a different type of good defender. Better against 3s; used more body, relied less on hands (also obv. taller which helped). You could contend he was smarter than Bryce, but he wasn't better w his feet IMO, which made BB better vs 1s. 

• Like 1

If you think what Bruce did with raising Bryce's value as a defender...working with someone like Allen Flanagan, who has such a high floor is going to be insane. I feel like with this undersized Trey Alexander guy being our best bet as the next combo guard, and Jamal getting more work, we're going to need Powell to be a good defender himself (not AF or Bryce good) to take up some of the slack

going to be a very interesting guard rotation