IT'S HERE!!! AU student Covid-19 positive.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks aren’t taking this seriously enough. I see way to many cars in the parking lots of grocery stores, restaurants, and bars on my way to work at the hospital. 

For the love, care about others and stay home! 

You know, it really comes down to honoring the elderly and those most vulnerable. We have to do our part to help. 

7 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Folks aren’t taking this seriously enough. I see way to many cars in the parking lots of grocery stores, restaurants, and bars on my way to work at the hospital. 

A lot of people like myself are unnecessarily being asked to continue to come to work. I could totally be telecommuting. We have all the technology needed. But no. 

If I told you how my office continues to conduct business it would blow your mind. Oh, by the way, I work at a hospital, too. A pretty big one. That might not have a single healthy IT worker before long. 

30 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

It blew my mind that Gov. Ivey shut down the schools REALLY quickly but when it came to shutting the beaches down, she drug her feet. Thank goodness that the beaches are finally being closed today at 5 in addition to all restaurants and bars (except for take out and delivery).

yes lets all freak out!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Coronavirus: We'll say what after 2 months time in the U.S. Stats as of today.

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*
  • Total cases: 10,442
  • Total deaths: 150
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

The flu: "In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

We'll give this what about 6 months duration. You can say "oh what about this or that. blah blah. corona wasnt tested etc. etc." 

Sorry the flu is worse. And any justification of keeping people away for corona, would also correlate to the flu's stats as well.

21 minutes ago, beaumak said:

• Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

The flu: "In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

We'll give this what about 6 months duration. You can say "oh what about this or that. blah blah. corona wasnt tested etc. etc." 

Sorry the flu is worse. And any justification of keeping people away for corona, would also correlate to the flu's stats as well.

I mean, I’m like a 7 out of 10 as an expert on this, but I don’t think you realize what’s going on here. Even with the numbers above, you’re talking about a 10fold increased chance of death from those positive for the virus. Let’s just go low end chances here and extrapolate mathematically: that would be approx 4.5 million people sick enough to hospitalize with a total of 900k beds TOTAL in the US. 

Now if you want to make a point about how there’s no end point with this, or how we may have to face the facts that many of our elderly will succumb to this illness, I can understand.

Anyway, we are doing an ok job doing our part to help...maybe we can all get on board. 

47 minutes ago, beaumak said:

You must be young. The point is not to freak out the point is stop the spread. besides you are not looking at the numbers correctly.  You cant just look at the US.  You have to look at the total number of cases and the mortality rate.  When the Flu kills it is less than 1% of its victims and COVID-19 is killing 3% so far, that can be established, that is a Pandemic.  Other Pandemics of the world have include the Bubonic plague (twice), Cholera (7 times) and Influenza (or the flu before vaccines in 1889/90 and being two of the worst). The Zika Virus in 2015/16 almost became a Pandemic but stayed controlled and was just an epidemic.  Believe it or not AIDS is still a Pandemic today.

1 hour ago, beaumak said:

It is literally a global pandemic.   

10 cases now in LEE county. 1 student confirmed. 

An hour later and look how off your numbers are already.    

49% (+4432 past 24hr)

DEATHS
 25% (+36 past 24hr)

RECOVERED
 2% (+2 past 24hr)

You think that is bad, wait until you see the financial impact of shutting things down.  We'll see eventually. Everything now is based on speculation from incomplete data. I'll say again, be prudent, not hysterical.

4 hours ago, beaumak said:

I G N O R A N T

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

You know, it really comes down to honoring the elderly and those most vulnerable. We have to do our part to help. 

Yesterday, there was an interview with a spring breaker on the news because it's shocking how crowded our beaches have been this week with drunk millennials, which of course is normally fine. 

She literally said that they're young, only live once, and have the right to party (fair enough)...but then went further to say if old & sick people are scared, then stay away from the beach.  We don't want them around anyway.

Literally on a live news interview...

So today, the governor closed the beaches and told out of state college students to go home.  

Our cases went from roughly 200 on Tues, to 300+ yesterday, to almost 500 today.  And that's WITH most businesses, schools (and now beaches) etc closed.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of people like myself are unnecessarily being asked to continue to come to work. I could totally be telecommuting. We have all the technology needed. But no. 

If I told you how my office continues to conduct business it would blow your mind. Oh, by the way, I work at a hospital, too. A pretty big one. That might not have a single healthy IT worker before long. 

On occasion being on medical disability with stage 4 cancer has it's advantages.  At least it's easy for us to quarantine....

Gotta love mass hysteria and extreme overreach of government powers. 

Meh, I'll just keep grinding, going to work, and laughing as you all buy a years worth of TP fr no reason. 

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yell it from the ******* mountain tops. Maybe those dipshits still partying in the Panhandle will hear you. Shame on those beach communities for not shutting it down. 

7 hours ago, beaumak said:

Well, you’re dumb. 

Show of hands, how many healthcare professionals in this here thread?

PTB is right, y'all. For the love of all that is holy,  take this one seriously.

so let me get this straight. the solution is to buy massive amounts of toilet paper in order to combat this pandemic. sounds like everybody just wants to be butthurt.

but back to my original post with true statistics. what i didn't remind and include in my OP to most of you folks, since most seem to disagree, is that the influenza numbers (another reminder that it occurs every single year) managed to reach those high numbers with a vaccine. again reiterate with a vaccine!

imagine no vaccine. perfect example would be coronavirus. there is no vaccine, correct? yet numbers are just not there even still. and i am willing to bet the numbers are even exponentially more for true cases gone undiagnosed. same can be said for the flu every year. which upfront would counter my argument. however it would in turn drastically lower the mortality rate.

so which is it. higher mortality rate with less virulency. or lower mortality rate with higher virulency. so far there is no comparison.

and by the way go look at 2018's flu stats. dominates this past year's that i posted. 

Show of hands, how many healthcare professionals in this here thread?

✋🏼 The problem is nobody truly knows what this means. We don’t know the mortality/significant morbidity of this illness because we don’t know who has it and who does not. It is a novel virus for which, presumably, none of the human population has immunity. Until/unless we randomly test everyone we will not know the “n” (denominator) to understand what the real severity of it is. But, bottom line: a virus for which no one has immunity that is readily transmissible that has even a 1% mortality and results in severe illness in 10-20% of those affected.....that is a situation that is very scary if you work in healthcare. If you are young, healthy and can socially distance for awhile maybe it sounds like a bunch of BS. I personally am going to be very concerned for the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, beaumak said:

so let me get this straight. the solution is to buy massive amounts of toilet paper in order to combat this pandemic. sounds like everybody just wants to be butthurt.

but back to my original post with true statistics. what i didn't remind and include in my OP to most of you folks, since most seem to disagree, is that the influenza numbers (another reminder that it occurs every single year) managed to reach those high numbers with a vaccine. again reiterate with a vaccine!

imagine no vaccine. perfect example would be coronavirus. there is no vaccine, correct? yet numbers are just not there even still. and i am willing to bet the numbers are even exponentially more for true cases gone undiagnosed. same can be said for the flu every year. which upfront would counter my argument. however it would in turn drastically lower the mortality rate.

so which is it. higher mortality rate with less virulency. or lower mortality rate with higher virulency. so far there is no comparison.

and by the way go look at 2018's flu stats. dominates this past year's that i posted. 

Okay. We’ll listen to you. Not a member of the medical community. 

7h1dsd5.jpg

7 minutes ago, beaumak said:

You are right. There is no way to make a comparison. Based on the current epidemiology it appears to be more transmissible with greater virulence. The flu always worries me (the bad years, I’ve seen a lot of really sick people even with a vaccine that likely confers at least partial immunity) but this concerns me a good bit more because of the factors I mentioned. I hope that I’m wrong, that all this uproar is all for naught, that the global and US economies recover quickly, and that you and all here remain healthy and happy. War Eagle for social distancing!

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Okay. We’ll listen to you. Not a member of the medical community. 

7h1dsd5.jpg

insightful rebuttal. you are still allowed to listen to anyone you want. the quote should actually be flip flopped on the timing. 😜imagine when they tell us you are no longer allowed to flush your toilets in fear of transmitting the virus through the sewer lines and the sewage plants are inundated with too much crap.

what are you going to do with all that TP? Can't say Toomer's cause sports are not being played.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

On occasion being on medical disability with stage 4 cancer has it's advantages.  At least it's easy for us to quarantine....

I want you to perfect social distancing brother. War Eagle!

Archived