Prayers needed

ellitor

34 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I’m not a betting man, but the COVID I’m seeing is a lot of shortness of breath. This may be good news yet. Tell her to keep hanging in there!

So you are seeing it on your hospital or in general? The reason I ask is nurses and drs I know claiming masks are in short supply. Wondering if you are experiencing this?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prayers sent for your Mom @ellitor. These are some scary times, but He is still in control. Praying for you and your Dad too.

43 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I’m not a betting man, but the COVID I’m seeing is a lot of shortness of breath. This may be good news yet. Tell her to keep hanging in there!

@passthebiscuits Thanks for the input. She always has shortness of breath. That comes with her low oxygen levels. It doesn’t look like it’s any more than usual though and she has been taking her oxygen treatments every day as she is supposed to.

9 hours ago, alexava said:

So you are seeing it on your hospital or in general? The reason I ask is nurses and drs I know claiming masks are in short supply. Wondering if you are experiencing this?

We are treating patients that are very short of breath and in need of ventilators. I would forgo an N-95 mask for myself to allow my patient to have a ventilator if it came down to it. But yes, we are in short supply of all PPE as well. I have been using the same mask and disinfecting after each use. 

17 hours ago, alexava said:

I might have already shared this from our director of home health:

• When this began, we had a lot of "What if" discussions. One of those discussions, since we knew that personal protective equipment (PPE) was beginning to be backordered when we ordered supplies, was what if we can't get masks? *** ***** began to research what other areas of the world were doing, and we decided to follow their examples. So before the CDC and the evening news last night started recommending that nurses and hospitals use bandanas as PPE - we had already placed an order for a large number of them that will be arriving next week. In our research it was found that by folding the bandana in half that is as effective as a surgical mask, and if you add additional layers between such as an ABD pad, maxi pad, or even gauze it is as effective as a N-95 mask.  In addition, we applied for access to the Strategic National Stockpile for PPE, however, that is very limited and will be going to acute care hospitals. Nearly, all supplies that are being shipped out are going to the acute care hospitals first. Thankfully, we are a hospital affiliated home health, and have some support from the purchasing department. We have placed some orders through them, and we will have to see what they are able to obtain for us. We know we won't get our "wish" list, but we did ask.
  • In our calls with the CDC and the Department of Public Health, they recognize the shortage of PPE for the health care field in general. This is why they have asked facilities to not perform elective surgeries, and for individual staff to begin re-using masks if at possible. The message across the entire healthcare spectrum has been essentially that we will all need to be creative in our delivery of care and adapt to fit the situation.  So we will all be drawing on the knowledge of our nursing predecessors that functioned in a time where not everything was disposable in how to cope with this unique event.  A better summation would be that we are going "Old School" with masks/bandanas that will be able to be washed and re-used, using soap and water when hand sanitizer is gone, and using a diluted bleach solution to clean our equipment with when our other wipes are gone.

My wife made me a spray bottle of bleach solution to bring to work. My morning routine starts with spraying and wiping down my entire cube. 

Monday afternoon update: She had a bit more energy today but still had to lay down a good bit. Now has a more pronounced cough than before which is concerning me. Still has sharp pained headaches that come & go. Nurse just called & told her to go get a chest X-Ray so that is what she & my dad are doing now. Still no Covid-19 results. Nurse said they would get the results to my mom tomorrow. Please keep praying! Even if it's not Covid-19 the flu or pneumonia is still not a slam dunk win given her respratory system.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Monday afternoon update: She had a bit more energy today but still had to lay down a good bit. Now has a more pronounced cough than before which is concerning me. Still has sharp pained headaches that come & go. Nurse just called & told her to go get a chest X-Ray so that is what she & my dad are doing now. Still no Covid-19 results. Nurse said they would get the results to my mom tomorrow. Please keep praying! Even if it's not Covid-19 the flu or pneumonia is still not a slam dunk win given her respratory system.

You got it! Prattville Baptist ER took really good care of me...unexpected knee injury...on 2/22. Can't believe all that's happened in one month! We may never know what all of our pollen combined with our rainy winter has triggered to exacerbate "normal" struggles. 

So sorry to see you and your family are experiencing this.

I lost my dad in Jan 2019 and mom on Thanksgiving of 2019...one was in assisted living and the other was on her way.  I cannot imagine the fear and paranoia I would be having if both were still around and "trapped" in a facility where this could be running rampant or simply living at home. Both would definitely have been in the high-risk category.

I do hope that all ends up well for you all, especially (and obviously) your mom.

Tuesday update; She has Covid-19. However she is feeling better & doing more today. I have no symptoms yet. 1st case reported in Autauga County. I could strangle the guy who came in the dentist office for an appointment last week who flippantly said he had the flu a couple days earlier but was fine when he came in for his appointment & the dentist for letting my mom do work on him.. Hopefully I'll just be an asymptomatic carrier. I know to stay away from people. Keep praying for all of us & thank you for the prayers that have come through so far.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tuesday update; She has Covid-19. However she is feeling better & doing more today. I have no symptoms yet. 1st case reported in Autauga County. I could strangle the guy & the dentist who came in the dentist office for an appointment last week who flippantly said he had the flu a couple days earlier but was fine when he came in for his appointment. Hopefully I'll just be an asymptomatic carrier. I know to stay away from people. Keep paying for all of us & thank you for the prayers that have come through so far.

Please continue to keep us updated, E. 

There are a lot of people I'd similarly like to strangle, but hopefully we'll be able to let your grandmother do that for us when she's back on her feet.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

grandmother

It's my mom & she is moving around ok right now.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's my mom & she is moving around ok right now.

Sorry, that's right, going back and forth with some other folks offline, lol. 

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tuesday update; She has Covid-19. However she is feeling better & doing more today. I have no symptoms yet. 1st case reported in Autauga County. I could strangle the guy who came in the dentist office for an appointment last week who flippantly said he had the flu a couple days earlier but was fine when he came in for his appointment & the dentist for letting my mom do work on him.. Hopefully I'll just be an asymptomatic carrier. I know to stay away from people. Keep paying for all of us & thank you for the prayers that have come through so far.

I might have missed it earlier but do you live with your parents?

Oh man.  So infuriating that someone who knew that they had the flu and knew the "climate" out there still chose to endanger people like that.

Worse than the fools in spring break who partied on...at least they weren't sick.

My best to you all.

Tuesday update; She has Covid-19. However she is feeling better & doing more today. I have no symptoms yet. 1st case reported in Autauga County. I could strangle the guy who came in the dentist office for an appointment last week who flippantly said he had the flu a couple days earlier but was fine when he came in for his appointment & the dentist for letting my mom do work on him.. Hopefully I'll just be an asymptomatic carrier. I know to stay away from people. Keep paying for all of us & thank you for the prayers that have come through so far.

I'm so sorry man!  I feel for you and your family and will ramp up my prayers!!  I'm still waiting to hear news from my brother as well.  

Thanks for keeping your AUFamily up to date.  God bless, brother!!

Oh, E. We will! I'm so sorry. She is a real trooper! A friend in TN who is a dental hygienist posted about the unbelievable exposure this particular occupation receives. I'm not far from you. If ANYTHING is needed, PM me. I can drop it off. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I might have missed it earlier but do you live with your parents?

No. Just came home to visit in a very unfortunate time.

20 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Oh, E. We will! I'm so sorry. She is a real trooper! A friend in TN who is a dental hygienist posted about the unbelievable exposure this particular occupation receives. I'm not far from you. If ANYTHING is needed, PM me. I can drop it off. 

Thank you so much!

Heads up for anybody who contracts the virus. Day 8 or day 9 is supposed to be the roughest day for patients with symptoms.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers ellitor. Stay well. 

I also work in healthcare and we are all just trying to do our jobs without getting sick. I'm so sorry your Mom was exposed like that. People are just not listening unfortunately. Hoping for her full recovery.

We have gone to mostly virtual visits, and I am thankful that we have that available. But our elderly patients can't master the technology so this is a scary time for them. I have spent a lot of time on the phone trying to reassure and help our older folks who shouldn't get out but are still having health issues.

These are uncertain times in which health care workers have to be somewhat creative with resources. I hope we can be better prepared the next time. 

ellitor…..your Mom sounds like a fighter. Tell her we are all wishing her the best. 

On 3/22/2020 at 9:42 PM, alexava said:

Can confirm short supply of PPE and recycling of product protocols here.

Archived