Prayers needed

ellitor

In my experience (ER), I’m not really picking up any notable changes on CXR unless the person also has pneumonia. However, on CT, there’s a ground-glass appearance (interstitial patchy areas) on the lungs (both sides) that is notable. I actually was able to scan a COVID pt on two consecutive days to note the differences. 

As far as symptoms, patients are just telling me that they’re short of breath. Some mild, others quite a bit. I don’t think they can really isolate it to one side more than another.

Most of the fevers I’m seeing are like 100-101, but as in the case of E’s mom, some people are having higher fevers and array of symptom severity. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good luck with whatever you're up against. Positive vibes sent. 

Had a scare 2 nights ago on left side of chest, darn near thought it was a heart attack, but went to get it checked. No issues with blood work, chest X-rays or ekg. No other symptoms in line with virus. Just bad timing to move furniture in my house this week and end up with what appears to be intercostal muscle pull/strain leading to some shortness of breath. At least that’s what it shows for now. So just wondering if the chest x ray could have been enough confirmation alone of nothing. With the way my neck/ shoulder stiffened up yesterday morning and rough sleep last night seems to confirm muscle related. Appreciate the thoughts. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Had a scare 2 nights ago on left side of chest, darn near thought it was a heart attack, but went to get it checked. No issues with blood work, chest X-rays or ekg. No other symptoms in line with virus. Just bad timing to move furniture in my house this week and end up with what appears to be intercostal muscle pull/strain leading to some shortness of breath. At least that’s what it shows for now. So just wondering if the chest x ray could have been enough confirmation alone of nothing. With the way my neck/ shoulder stiffened up yesterday morning and rough sleep last night seems to confirm muscle related. Appreciate the thoughts. 

Okay, that's a bit of a relief. Get better!

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

In my experience (ER), I’m not really picking up any notable changes on CXR unless the person also has pneumonia. However, on CT, there’s a ground-glass appearance (interstitial patchy areas) on the lungs (both sides) that is notable. I actually was able to scan a COVID pt on two consecutive days to note the differences. 

As far as symptoms, patients are just telling me that they’re short of breath. Some mild, others quite a bit. I don’t think they can really isolate it to one side more than another.

Most of the fevers I’m seeing are like 100-101, but as in the case of E’s mom, some people are having higher fevers and array of symptom severity. 

Are you seeing the red eyes (viral conjunctivitis) on any of your patients?

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Are you seeing the red eyes (viral conjunctivitis) on any of your patients?

Had a 30yo last night + test with a little conjunctivitis, but overall, not really.

Most: Sore throat, then body aches, then fever and SOB.

12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Had a 30yo last night + test with a little conjunctivitis, but overall, not really.

Most: Sore throat, then body aches, then fever and SOB.

I have a (Probably) very dumb question. If I get it, is there a point for me to come take a test or could I just self quarantine? I mean, you can’t prescribe anything right? And I’m a mostly healthy 30+ old.

This whole thing has me freaked out because they seem to be seeing more 30 yr olds and I don’t even want to start thinking about my kiddos. 😐

Stay healthy! 

35 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I have a (Probably) very dumb question. If I get it, is there a point for me to come take a test or could I just self quarantine? I mean, you can’t prescribe anything right? And I’m a mostly healthy 30+ old.

This whole thing has me freaked out because they seem to be seeing more 30 yr olds and I don’t even want to start thinking about my kiddos. 😐

Stay healthy! 

Not a dumb question. It’s actually the one I’ve been hearing most often.

Symptoms are usually very mild for the young and healthy. Now there are always exceptions given the amount of people that have been infected, but they are exceptions. Kiddos have been relatively very healthy with this thing, which is a huge blessing.

You are correct that there is no treatment. So I would advise not being tested unless you have strong symptoms at this point.

blessings!

Just seeing this thread. Sorry you have to go thru this E will be praying for your mom that she has a mild case and gets over it soon.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

E - just seeing this and read through it.  Hope you and your mom are doing OK bud.  Thoughts are with you both.

I’m doing pretty good actually. I’ve been walking 5 miles every day even since before my mom‘s test came back. I think I may have lost close to if not a little more than 10 pounds. The last time I was able to check I had lost seven. I can’t check again for another week and a half because the scale is in my moms bathroom. LOL

My mom mostly feels OK but she’s still concerned. She said she noticed her heart rate being lower and her breathing being shallower during sleep last night so she thinks if anything happens to her it would be in her sleep.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I’m doing pretty good actually. I’ve been walking 5 miles every day even since before my mom‘s test came back. I think I may have lost close to if not a little more than 10 pounds. The last time I was able to check I had lost seven. I can’t check again for another week and a half because the scale is in my moms bathroom. LOL

My mom mostly feels OK but she’s still concerned. She said she noticed her heart rate being lower and her breathing being shallower during sleep last night so she thinks if anything happens to her it would be in her sleep.

Glad you are well and we'll be thinking about your mom.  Hoping she continues to recover.  All the best sir!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for taking questions, @passthebiscuits. I hope not to have any for you.

Happy to help. Hey, in the 10+ years I’ve been on this site, I have very little expertise when it comes to offensive formations or blitz packages. But in times like these, I’m actually useful!

Passthebiscuits, “although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can serve a purpose.” -Dumb and Dumber 

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Happy to help. Hey, in the 10+ years I’ve been on this site, I have very little expertise when it comes to offensive formations or blitz packages. But in times like these, I’m actually useful!

Passthebiscuits, “although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can serve a purpose.” -Dumb and Dumber 

image.jpeg

Some potentially good news. We don’t know for sure but mom is thinking she contracted the virus on March 13 at a heart cath appointment. If true then we could be on the last legs of her case. I haven’t read the full statement yet but the county ADPHS official gave us a document saying that she had to be in quarantine through March 31. She slept well last night and appears to be doing well today.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Some potentially good news. We don’t know for sure but mom is thinking she contracted the virus on March 13 at a heart cath appointment. If true then we could be on the last legs of her case. I haven’t read the full statement yet but the county ADPHS official gave us a document saying that she had to be in quarantine through March 31. She slept well last night and appears to be doing well today.

Such encouraging news E !!!  

19 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not a dumb question. It’s actually the one I’ve been hearing most often.

Symptoms are usually very mild for the young and healthy. Now there are always exceptions given the amount of people that have been infected, but they are exceptions. Kiddos have been relatively very healthy with this thing, which is a huge blessing.

You are correct that there is no treatment. So I would advise not being tested unless you have strong symptoms at this point.

blessings!

What I've heard is that in a lot of the cases with younger people getting sick, they actually had other underlying conditions. 

11 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

#emojistruggle

Ask ‘loof..,he knows where I’m at.

But seriously, thanks for doing what you do.

Thursday afternoon update. She hasn’t had a fever in two days. Part of the ADPH’s criteria for getting off Quarantine is to not have a fever or other symptoms three full days before the quarantine end date. Her quarantine end date is March 31. She is scheduled to go get tested again April 6 because her test that came back positive came back on March 23. In an attempt to try to regain some relative normalcy, About middle of next week I’m going to see if she’ll talk to the doctor about going ahead and getting the test done again to see if it’s gone if by that point she will have been without symptoms for a week.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thursday afternoon update. She hasn’t had a fever in two days. Part of the ADPH’s criteria for getting off Quarantine is to not have a fever or other symptoms three full days before the quarantine end date. Her quarantine and date is March 31. She is scheduled to go get tested again April 6 because her test that came back positive came back on March 23. About middle of next week I’m going to see if she’ll talk to the doctor about going ahead and getting the test done again to see if it’s gone if by that point she will have been without symptoms for a week.

Awesome! 

prayers sent my friend! God bless and War Eagle!!

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thursday afternoon update. She hasn’t had a fever in two days. Part of the ADPH’s criteria for getting off Quarantine is to not have a fever or other symptoms three full days before the quarantine end date. Her quarantine end date is March 31. She is scheduled to go get tested again April 6 because her test that came back positive came back on March 23. In an attempt to try to regain some relative normalcy, About middle of next week I’m going to see if she’ll talk to the doctor about going ahead and getting the test done again to see if it’s gone if by that point she will have been without symptoms for a week.

Never, since being a member of this site, have I scrolled so quickly through a thread looking for posts from you (ignoring yours is usually the rule. 😄). And so relieved to see that last one.

So happy to hear the news @ellitor! God is so good! I am just now checking in after long days of digitial learning/teaching. Yes, even in kindergarten, we are requiring it and, I guess because of my age, the learning curve is steep for me! Your news gives me hope that people with underlying issues can make it through this evil virus!

My cousin, in her late 60s, has been tested for the virus. She has many underlying issues and it would be very difficult for her to survive it. I covet everyone's prayers for Virginia.

@passthebiscuits, you talked about the interstitial "ground glass" image showing up. Are patients who have this virus going to have interstitial scarring in their lungs, decreasing their lung function permanently?  My mother passed from pulmonary fibrosis, which also involved the interstitial tissue. Just wondering.

Archived