Transfer Tracker

Maverick.AU

Note from E: Decided to make this a thread since AU has put out feelers to a number of transfers.

Auburn reportedly contacting multiple transfer guards

Nathan King • AuburnSports
Staff

Bruce Pearl can't hit the road and recruit, but Auburn's phone lines have still been active since the 2019-20 basketball season was canceled over coronavirus concerns.

He and his staff are contacting multiple players that have recently opted to transfer out of their respective programs, and Pearl is primarily focused on filling roster spots at the guard positions.

D.J. CARTON

After one year at Ohio State, Carton this week announced his decision to leave Chris Holtmann's program.

"I have decided to make a fresh start," Carton tweeted.

D.J. Carton (3) during Ohio State vs. Wisconsin in January.
D.J. Carton (3) during Ohio State vs. Wisconsin in January. (Paul Vernon / AP)

Pearl and Auburn were among one of the first programs to reach out to Carton following his decision to leave the Buckeyes, according to Jake Weingarten of Stockrisers.com.

Carton, formerly the high school player of the year in Iowa, was the No. 6 point guard in the nation in the 2019 class. He was Ohio State's third-leading scorer this past season at 10.4 points per game.

The likes of Louisville, Oregon and Alabama have also contacted Carton, among other programs, according to Weingarten.

LANDERS NOLLEY II 

Auburn reached out quickly to Nolley following his entrance into the transfer portal Monday, and as of Saturday, Pearl and company have extended an offer, per Weingarten.

Memphis and UConn offered, as well.

The 6-foot-7 freshman wing led Virginia Tech in scoring during his one season in Blacksburg at 15.5 points per game.

A product of Fairburn, Ga., outside Atlanta, Nolley was the No. 8 small forward in the nation in the 2018 class.

After redshirting his freshman year, Nolley earned ACC All-Freshman honors this month and was named ACC Freshman of the Week five times over the course of Virginia Tech's 2019-20 season.

JAMARIUS BURTON

Burton is the product of a mass exodus at Wichita State this month.

The Shockers have seen six players enter the transfer portal since their season was cut short after their 23-8 record and fourth-place finish in the American Conference.

Burton was Wichita State's third-leading scorer this past season at 10.3 points per game. A versatile guard at 6-foot-4, he also averaged 3.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game, and he 38.1% from beyond the arc, good for the second-best mark on the team.

Burton (2) shoots during Wichita State at Temple in January.
Burton (2) shoots during Wichita State at Temple in January. (Michael Perez / AP)

Burton was a 3-star prospect out of Charlotte when he signed with the Shockers in the 2018 class. He started 52 games over his first two seasons.

Per Weingarten, Burton has been contacted by more than 50 programs, and Seton Hall, Xavier, Texas Tech and Iowa State have already offered.

TREY MCGOWINS

The second point guard on this list after Carton is Pitt's Trey McGowins, who opted to leave the Panthers program last week, as well.

Auburn entered the picture for the 6-foot-4 McGowins recently, according to Weingarten.

Regarded as a high-caliber defender at point guard, the former 4-starproduct in the 2018 class averaged 11.5 points and 3.6 assists to 2.8 turnovers per game this past season.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Hm, guess this is to try and get another body in case Turbo isn’t up to snuff yet? 

This cat can play the two or three position. Along with Powell having injuries the past two years The two position can be very shaky for us if we don’t land Green.

Not a grad transfers I see. So he most likely will have to sit 1. Shot 38 percent from three last season but only on 2 attempts per game.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not a grad transfers I see. So he most likely will have to sit 1.

It's very possible the transfers don't have to sit a year rule will pass before next season FWIW.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's very possible the transfers don't have to sit a year rule will pass before next season FWIW.

Is that actually really going to become a reality? That's going to make everything a free for all more than it already is.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is that actually really going to become a reality?

It looks very possible with all the push for it.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That's going to make everything a free for all more than it already is.

Yup!

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is that actually really going to become a reality? That's going to make everything a free for all more than it already is.

We need more drama in b-ball recruiting (every sport) to get us through the next 2-4 months of no sports ! I’m having withdrawals more and more everyday. 
Hey, that’s giving me a idea 💡 of starting a Sports Detox Center so we can start recovering sooner. Man I’m board!

On 3/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, GwillMac6 said:

I could see this being pushed out a year. With the exception given to spring athletes (I believe more clarification is coming on that this weekend) to essentially have another year and the virus impacting some of the ability to meet and discuss these issues, I could see the NCAA deciding to hold off on making that decision for another year. 

As for Auburn's name being mentioned with all these transfers, it gives me the impression that we're trying to be prepared to fill Jalen's spot with a current roster guy should we land him knowing he will leave after one year. The difficulty I see is the numbers game. Jalen is by far the most important recruit left on the board. If you land him, you have two spots left. Thor seems all but committed. So that's one spot left. Greg Brown and Cliff Omoruyi seem to be the next two guys we'd take, but we'd need room for one of them. If we have a transfer or two (which seems likely), we could sign the HS recruits we want plus a transfer or two (like Landers Nolley or Jamrius Burton) that would sit a year (a la Samir) and be ready when Jalen leaves.

I’m starting to feel a couple of transfer players a year is a solid recruiting tactic.  You get guys who are solid, will sit a year and train in your system, are Almost guaranteed to be on your roster when you need them and you can recruit knowing you have them.

our 11th-13th scholly guys played so little this year, the roster management upside could be of bigger benefit 

59 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m starting to feel a couple of transfer players a year is a solid recruiting tactic.  You get guys who are solid, will sit a year and train in your system, are Almost guaranteed to be on your roster when you need them and you can recruit knowing you have them.

our 11th-13th scholly guys played so little this year, the roster management upside could be of bigger benefit 

I personally understand why that was. Turbo just didn't show anything against inferior competition, Jaylin was supposedly bad bad on defense in practice, Stretch had too many good experienced options ahead of him. But I do think going forward, we can't claim being "deep" with our lead guards getting as much burn as Jared/Bryce and Jvon/Samir have gotten. Definitely needs to be some more guard options (and not a Jamal Johnson type)

On 3/20/2020 at 2:45 PM, mustache eagle said:

will sit a year

There’s currently legislators on the table to change that rule. It will be interesting to see how the NCAA rules and when a change might go into affect,

• ellitor changed the title to Men Looking For Transfer Guards

Auburn reportedly contacting multiple transfer guards

Nathan King • AuburnSports
Staff

Bruce Pearl can't hit the road and recruit, but Auburn's phone lines have still been active since the 2019-20 basketball season was canceled over coronavirus concerns.

He and his staff are contacting multiple players that have recently opted to transfer out of their respective programs, and Pearl is primarily focused on filling roster spots at the guard positions.

D.J. CARTON

After one year at Ohio State, Carton this week announced his decision to leave Chris Holtmann's program.

"I have decided to make a fresh start," Carton tweeted.

D.J. Carton (3) during Ohio State vs. Wisconsin in January.
D.J. Carton (3) during Ohio State vs. Wisconsin in January. (Paul Vernon / AP)

Pearl and Auburn were among one of the first programs to reach out to Carton following his decision to leave the Buckeyes, according to Jake Weingarten of Stockrisers.com.

Carton, formerly the high school player of the year in Iowa, was the No. 6 point guard in the nation in the 2019 class. He was Ohio State's third-leading scorer this past season at 10.4 points per game.

The likes of Louisville, Oregon and Alabama have also contacted Carton, among other programs, according to Weingarten.

LANDERS NOLLEY II 

Auburn reached out quickly to Nolley following his entrance into the transfer portal Monday, and as of Saturday, Pearl and company have extended an offer, per Weingarten.

Memphis and UConn offered, as well.

The 6-foot-7 freshman wing led Virginia Tech in scoring during his one season in Blacksburg at 15.5 points per game.

A product of Fairburn, Ga., outside Atlanta, Nolley was the No. 8 small forward in the nation in the 2018 class.

After redshirting his freshman year, Nolley earned ACC All-Freshman honors this month and was named ACC Freshman of the Week five times over the course of Virginia Tech's 2019-20 season.

JAMARIUS BURTON

Burton is the product of a mass exodus at Wichita State this month.

The Shockers have seen six players enter the transfer portal since their season was cut short after their 23-8 record and fourth-place finish in the American Conference.

Burton was Wichita State's third-leading scorer this past season at 10.3 points per game. A versatile guard at 6-foot-4, he also averaged 3.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game, and he 38.1% from beyond the arc, good for the second-best mark on the team.

Burton (2) shoots during Wichita State at Temple in January.
Burton (2) shoots during Wichita State at Temple in January. (Michael Perez / AP)

Burton was a 3-star prospect out of Charlotte when he signed with the Shockers in the 2018 class. He started 52 games over his first two seasons.

Per Weingarten, Burton has been contacted by more than 50 programs, and Seton Hall, Xavier, Texas Tech and Iowa State have already offered.

TREY MCGOWINS

The second point guard on this list after Carton is Pitt's Trey McGowins, who opted to leave the Panthers program last week, as well.

Auburn entered the picture for the 6-foot-4 McGowins recently, according to Weingarten.

Regarded as a high-caliber defender at point guard, the former 4-starproduct in the 2018 class averaged 11.5 points and 3.6 assists to 2.8 turnovers per game this past season.

Averaged 11 ppg at Pitt last season.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Averaged 11 ppg at Pitt last season.

Sounds like his defense is major plus with this kid. 

OSU played really smart ball from what I saw, if Carton can bring a steady hand along with his 40% (!!) clip from 3, Id love to have the guy 

I also feel like we really need another SF look (assuming someone else doesnt commit) with D.C's inconsistencies. I just dont like the idea of an entire season with Allen and him as your options. I guess im hoping/assuming Nolley is incredibly good without knowing of him, but Id just like another option

Pearl is working the portal hard. Good to see aggressiveness. Losing 6 players requires some experience coming in to help stabilize these Freshmen we will be bringing in. I also see 2 or 3 transfers from us if we get any of the transfer portal players(Turbo, JJ, Franklin)

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Pearl is working the portal hard. Good to see aggressiveness. Losing 6 players requires some experience coming in to help stabilize these Freshmen we will be bringing in. I also see 2 or 3 transfers from us if we get any of the transfer portal players(Turbo, JJ, Franklin)

Franklin couldnt play last year if im correct right? Id think he'd try to get at least a season here before dipping but we're in new times. I think Turbo might stay just bc he wants to change his narrative but Itd be better for all parties involved if we got one of these transfer guards and he dipped 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

thought he had to sit out a year 

hmm 

Juco transfers don’t have to sit in a year.

HEY JON!!!!! WE ALREADY HAVE BEEN SHOWING INTEREST IN HIM!!!!!! KEEP UP!!! TOO TOO TOOODAAAAY JUNIOR!!!!! lol 

rert.gif

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28963657/kentucky-freshman-johnny-juzang-says-transferring

Johnny Juzang is transferring from UK.  A lengthy, 6-6 guard who can defend is just what Bruce likes.  He's a decent shooter, too (33% from 3; 82% from the stripe last year).  He's from L.A., though-I'm curious if he wants to be closer to home.

Archived