Transfer Tracker

Maverick.AU

A heads up here. Rivals is reporting Auburn may end up not sign any transfer guards if we land Jalen Green because he can play the one as well as the two. Apparently Coach Pearl’s main focus is trying to get elite high school talent to fill out the class if possible.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A heads up here. Rivals is reporting Auburn may end up not sign any transfer guards if we land Jalen Green because he can play the one as well as the two. Apparently Coach Pearl’s main focus is trying to get elite high school talent to fill out the class if possible.

I'm not sure I understand this, b/c we still need  depth even if we get him (although more so up front).

21 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

I'm not sure I understand this, b/c we still need  depth even if we get him (although more so up front).

Sounds like the staff thinks Turbo can be a quality 2 allowing Jalen to help Cooper at the one.

29 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

If we sign every elite player we’re after there will be no room.

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

If we sign every elite player we’re after there will be no room.

A guy or 2 could still leave.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Sounds like the staff thinks Turbo can be a quality 2 allowing Jalen to help Cooper at the one.

Kind of like how Samir helped J'Von this year. 

The only problem i have with that is if he get's in foul trouble, that means we are hurting at the 2 AND the 1 positions. Still feel we need a JC or GT to play behind the PGs. That's even if Turbo can man the 2 as a backup...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Kind of like how Samir helped J'Von this year. 

No. JG is supposedly much more accomplished in that regard.

The only problem i have with that is if he get's in foul trouble, that means we are hurting at the 2

Not if Turbo is as good at the 2 as the staff is expecting or if Powell is solid.

AND the 1 positions.

Yeah but we don't know if he's the type to get in foul trouble.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

No. JG is supposedly much more accomplished in that regard.

Not if Turbo is as good at the 2 as the staff is expecting or if Powell is solid.

Yeah but we don't know if he's the type to get in foul trouble.

Geez. you shot me down on 3 of my comments in my post. How demoralizing.

Can you at least give me a thumbs up for my commas and periods in my post? :bow:

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Geez. you shot me down on 3 of my comments in my post. How demoralizing.

Can you at least give me a thumbs up for my commas and periods in my post? :bow:

giphy.gif

The trend here lately is having good, quick guards and small forwards, with depth and couple of quick rim protectors. You can go deeper into tournaments. You can control tempo, pressure the ball, and attack at will a lot more without worrying so much about fouls and stamina. The Villanova and Butler teams. Like us last year, Arizona in the late 90s with Bibby, Simon, and Terry beat 3 juggernauts including Kentucky for the championship. For that reason, Baylor would have been my pick this year. They were so deep at the guard position. While Drew is a good coach, in my opinion, he should have pressured the ball a lot more. BP certainly would have with that group.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:24 PM, War to the Eagle said:

Where would we need depth for guards? We'd have Cooper, Green, and Turbo at PG. And we'd have Green, Turbo, Johnson, Cambridge, Powell, and Flanigan for the 2 and 3. Don't think you can really take anyone else in that group without someone leaving. If we signed McGowens because there was a spot opened, that probably frees up Green to just run at the 2/3.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Where would we need depth for guards? We'd have Cooper, Green, and Turbo at PG. And we'd have Green, Turbo, Johnson, Cambridge, Powell, and Flanigan for the 2 and 3. Don't think you can really take anyone else in that group without someone leaving. If we signed McGowens because there was a spot opened, that probably frees up Green to just run at the 2/3.

I think the key is maybe that Pearl thinks he needs an experienced PG(GT, JC) that can help his possibly very young back-court.  The top 2 PGs will both be true FR, and the backup will be a little used SO.  If he can find one that will be a backup like McCormick that fits perfectly.

Remember, even when Harper was a FR, we had TJ Dunans and Ronnie Johnson who were veterans, and I believe Dunans played PG for us some. 

He's not a guard but any chance we take a look at Matt Haarms? Entered the portal yesterday, 7'3", 8.6 PPG, 4.6 Reb, 2 Blks per game at Purdue this year.

Archived