Chad Morris Arkansas Cut Ups - Part I

StatTiger

Here are a few cut ups from Chad Morris' offense at Arkansas. There are many similar plays when comparing Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris, so I cut up the plays unique to Morris or rarely featured in Malzahn's offense. The most notable difference is the use of the tight end by Chad Morris. With Auburn having plenty of options at the TE position in 2020, I can see them being a major part of the offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqB2jtdPLA

Gosh I hope we don’t have to wait a year to see this offense

15 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I hope I’m alone in this, but when I see his offense, it doesn’t give me confidence.

You are definitely the minority 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I hope I’m alone in this, but when I see his offense, it doesn’t give me confidence.

The Arkansas version shouldn’t give anybody confidence. The Clemson version on the other hand, should.

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not trolling, promise. What do you guys see here besides the orbit motion of the back that looks promising for our offense? I understand the potential to throw to the TE...is that it?

Well for one , hopefully much better QB production based off teachability. A bigger pass skeleton. A little more variety of play calling. The thing is , Auburn has talent to do things on the offensive end. We don’t need an overhaul but we do need someone who can actually utilize these pieces to the best of their ability based on their skill set. Gus has shown his inability to do that. Now with that being said, we need an offensive line or it won’t matter who is coaching.  To me it is the Joe Brady effect, if handled correctly.  

20 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not trolling, promise. What do you guys see here besides the orbit motion of the back that looks promising for our offense? I understand the potential to throw to the TE...is that it?

The utilization of the backs and TE in the passing game alone will open up the offense by making the defense have to defend the entire field. Because of that, the running game will have better leverage and lanes to attack. JMO...

On 3/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, passthebiscuits said:

I'll add to the other answers that an offense running nothing but Gus plays might be a lot harder to defend with somebody other than Gus calling them. In addition to the incredibly simplistic passing schemes, the underutilization of TEs and RBs in the passing game, the hyperspecialization of skill players to the point of defenses frequently being able to guess our plays based on who is lined up where, mediocre offensive line play, and QBs being neutered with limited ability to audible, check down, or otherwise improvise...

...Gus just really loves to call the wrong damn play at the wrong damn time. Just handing his clipboard to a guy who has a better feel for the rhythm of the game, the down and distance, whether or not his RB needs a breather, how the defense is playing him, whether or not his quarterback's throwing arm if functioning properly that night, whether or not he really needs to make that substitution to run that play...

I don't know if Morris still has that mojo, or if Gus will let him use it. But I honestly believe that our chances of better offensive production just by handing play calling over to an experienced, dedicated- vs distracted- OC have to be pretty good. 

TL;DR- Even if we don't get many new pieces, we can do a much better job of using the pieces we've already got. 

8 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Ok...you guys got me excited And hopeful now! 

I've got the cure for that.

But, Gus...

17 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Ok...you guys got me excited And hopeful now! 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I've got the cure for that.

But, Gus...

Hah. Yeah. There was a big "if" buried in my otherwise optimistic outlook. 

hilarious....sad and real, all at the same time. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gus just really loves to call the wrong damn play at the wrong damn time.

perfectly said.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

the hyperspecialization of skill players to the point of defenses frequently being able to guess our plays based on who is lined up where,

And this allows  our opponents look like world-beaters.   Pruitt earned a lot of credibility with UT fans when he single-handedly beat Auburn 2 seasons ago because of this tendency.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Better options to be successful on 3rd and short. Consistently.

Archived