signees keep preparing for college ball

aubiefifty

Auburn signees keep preparing for college ball

By Giana Han

As Wesley Steiner looked at the detailed workout plan Auburn sent him, he wandered around Houston County High School’s weight room looking for things that would allow him to complete it.

He grabbed a stretch band, tested its elasticity, and then wrapped it around a weight room bench. Then he placed several weights on top of the bench, sat down, grabbed the band and scooted backwards until it was taut.

As he started making a rowing motion, he looked up and said with a grin, “This is what you could call ‘redneck ingenuity.’ ”

Each of Auburn football’s 2020 signees who didn’t enroll early received a personal workout plan to help them prepare for the next level. Composed of stretches and strengthening exercises, they’re much more in-depth than the typical high school workout, wide receiver Ze’Vian Capers said. The problem with in-depth workouts is they often require equipment that isn’t found in a weight room — thus Steiner’s handmade rowing machine.

Now, Steiner’s creativity is being stretched even further. Since the coronavirus pandemic hit, the future Auburn linebacker has lost access to his school’s weight room. Steiner, whose family’s finances had already been stretched by his football career, preferred to work out at the school rather than get a gym membership. Now, neither are an option and Steiner is left to jump-roping without a rope.

The first week after the coronavirus pandemic shut down sports around the country, the Auburn football program struggled to keep up with the “unprecedented” situation. Coaches didn’t have time to send out at-home workouts when their primary concern was keeping their athletes safe.

“Right now, with the social distancing and everything, weight rooms aren’t where you’re supposed to be,” coach Gus Malzahn said. "So each week, we will come up with different plans that are appropriate at the appropriate times.”

Malzahn said he’s talked to every player and by March 18, Steiner said that linebackers coach Travis Williams had put all the linebackers in a group chat. Williams let them know the install was going to be delayed at least a week and that spring practice was cancelled. He also told them some base workouts they could do, so Steiner planned to do a lot of free weight work — “old school pushups and all that jazz” — and running in addition to the rope-less jump roping he was doing to stay active.

The situation, especially the A-day cancellation, has been a downer, he said, but he’s comforted knowing everyone is in the same situation as him.

“At least I know I’m not getting too far behind the eight ball because everyone else in the program is also going to be behind compared to how they usually want to work,” Steiner said.

Defensive back Marco Domio also lost access to his school’s facilities when the pandemic caused a shutdown. He had been training with his team at Blinn College and completing the workout plan he received from Auburn.

READ: Marco Domio loses home to Hurricane Harvey, finds his way to Auburn

When his school closed down, Domio returned home to Humble, Texas. However, Domio was fortunate because he has a friend with a private gym who has allowed him to go there and train with his dad. In between the work he does by himself at home, the training with his dad and the sessions at a field with his friends, he’s still been “on the same grind.”

“I’m definitely trying to get ahead,” Domio said. “I’m just making something happen.”

Since the install on the offensive side has been interrupted, as well, Capers has been finding ways to be ready for camp if it comes. Capers never relied on a school gym, so his workouts with his trainer weren’t affected by the school closures other than an increase in cleaning procedures. He’s staying in shape, so he’s concerned with learning the playbook.

While school was in session, Capers participated in conference calls every Tuesday to learn the playbook. That hasn’t been possible, so he’s been doing his best to keep up with the other wide receivers and even some of the incoming offensive linemen to try to go through plays. He’s talked with some of the older wide receivers like Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz who have given him pointers and advice.

However, his training sessions at the gym with other athletes trying to stay in shape just aren’t the same as being able to play.

“It's definitely affecting me because I'm missing it a lot,” Capers said. “I'm just ready to get back on the field.”

Despite the extra free time that’s allowed the incoming Auburn Tigers to play more Madden, go fishing and spend time with family, they’re all itching to be on the field, and the hope that they’ll be out there come fall is what’s getting them through. The positivity is essential, Steiner said, and it’s something that’s always helped Capers be prepared for what life has thrown is way.

“A bunch of negative brings people down but throw some positive in there, you’re going to be just fine,” Steiner said.

• WarTiger changed the title to signees keep preparing for college ball

Come on guys, keep working out on you own. We could still play football come September if we can get a handle on COVID-19. I strongly believe we will.

I love some of the ingenuity these young men are using to keep up with getting in shape and ready to be rock solid Tigers come Fall.  By then God willing, this problem will be behind us and we will be on the way to a great season for 2020.

Archived