COVID-19 possible affect on summer workouts ?

AlaskanFAN

That is why mandatory quarantine is past due for these areas. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/28/2020 at 7:15 AM, DAG said:

Football is secondary at the moment. The sooner people realize this the better. It will get worse before it gets better.

Yes!

I know I'm different than most apparently, but with all that's going on I'm a bit surprised that a lot of people would even care that much right now.  I get people who want some normalcy, but we're still awfully early in this situation to even look that far forward (IMO).  

Right now, let's just get the country healthy (physically & fiscally) and THEN worry about the frivolous stuff.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:54 AM, passthebiscuits said:

It’s clear that you have steadfast views. However, I don’t think medically/scientifically that you have the whole picture. Maybe you do, and I’m completely wrong.  I would strongly encourage us both to take a look at the data to see if it would change our minds.

One thing that strikes me is the amount of people that have died in the US is even with some semblance of social distancing. Can you imagine if we didn’t take any of those precautions?

All I can tell you is that I’ve been working ER for 10+ years. I’ve been through flu seasons. This is something terrible and new. It’s unreal. We haven’t seen the worst of it. Those of us on the front lines appreciate any efforts made to keep it at bay. 

That is something I've noticed in many different situations, not just this.

A situation arises, it's slowed down or even stopped, due to the precautions taken, then there's always a segment of the population who says "see, it wasn't so bad".....not taking into account WHY it wasn't so bad.

Short-sightedness or desired narratives are often more powerful than reasoning.  Instant gratification run amok!

On 3/28/2020 at 9:30 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

websites I have seen mostly say between 17,000 and 19,000 swine flu deaths  in america.

swine flu  lasted from January 2009 to August 2010.  That is 20 months!  10 times longer than the current COVID has been around.   as of right now 2,400 people have died in america from COVID-19 in 2 months.   IF  the COVID cases magically STOP growing and stay were they are  right now,  we are looking at 20,000 -24,000 deaths in 20 months.  BUT corona is still growing exponentially.  

DEATH is only one of the possible negative outcomes with CORONA.  There are many serious  lifelong complications from even moderate cases of Corona.   

I got the swine flu when I was at Auburn. That thing wiped the campus out. August was when it really hit Auburn.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:54 AM, passthebiscuits said:

It’s clear that you have steadfast views. However, I don’t think medically/scientifically that you have the whole picture. Maybe you do, and I’m completely wrong.  I would strongly encourage us both to take a look at the data to see if it would change our minds.

One thing that strikes me is the amount of people that have died in the US is even with some semblance of social distancing. Can you imagine if we didn’t take any of those precautions?

All I can tell you is that I’ve been working ER for 10+ years. I’ve been through flu seasons. This is something terrible and new. It’s unreal. We haven’t seen the worst of it. Those of us on the front lines appreciate any efforts made to keep it at bay. 

Prediction here is that around May 5th the ER's are gonna get bombarded. Number of patients across the board is down (my facility is a trauma facility), but starting to tick back up. Had to do quite a bit of flexing in peoples hours. Sad to see how many of these individuals coming in work at places that are grocery oriented.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I got the swine flu when I was at Auburn. That thing wiped the campus out. August was when it really hit Auburn.

I was in auburn during the measles epidemic.  That s*** spreads  like wildfire.  My Mom told me that when I was young my doctor thought measles was an extinct virus and did not give me an immunization shot.  What she forgot to tell me at the time was that she went to another doctor and I got the shot.   It wasn't until I was panicking and going to stand in line  and the med clinic when I talked to my dad and he told me I had the immu shot..   For a while there I was so uptight  I turned my pants into clam diggers.

Been hearing on the radio that there may be several DII schools that actually drop the football program after all this.  Saying that the schools keep football to help get attendance to school but they actually lose money.  If that is the case then this is very likely to be the most costly virus in history.  It may be 5-10 years before we figure out all the full cost to the global economy.

Any idea on how much money was saved by the athletic department when the rest of spring activities were / have been cancelled? I am sure that will roll over to help start the fall into the right direction if / when that ever happens, cause who knows what effect this all will have on all sports in general when things settle down / back to normal. 

9 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Any idea on how much money was saved by the athletic department when the rest of spring activities were / have been cancelled? I am sure that will roll over to help start the fall into the right direction if / when that ever happens, cause who knows what effect this all will have on all sports in general when things settle down / back to normal. 

It did save money but AU as well as most P5 schools are 2% or 4% less in revenues already from not having the payout from the NCAA from basketball March madness.  That's about $3 million give or take.

I've said it in other threads but this could get real real ughy even for the top P5 schools if there is no football this fall. I'm old as dirt and I have never ever seen anythng like this

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of like when the fire department gets to you just in time to save your house and you look back and say no big deal. Had folks not intervened and changed the direction of this folks wouldn’t be saying “ oh no big thing” . Still  have a lots of deaths and sickness even with folks doing a good job on social distancing . Could have been a lot worse and it’s not even over with yet. Stay safe and be humble, kind, generous and grateful. God bless. 

On 4/2/2020 at 8:10 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

My guess is we didn’t save anything. Paychecks still went out just like they should have. School fees got paid. Maybe even spent a little more resorting to online training having to be set up. Just my guess. 

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My guess is we didn’t save anything. Paychecks still went out just like they should have. School fees got paid. Maybe even spent a little more resorting to online training having to be set up. Just my guess. 

I don’t see any industry except maybe government contractors that have saved money. 

I guess I will put this speculation here....   Short fall football season?  Spring football season?? 

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/college-football-to-have-spring-season-chris-fowlers-informed-speculation-on-potential-scenario.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Side note.  Better do a better job social distancing  in Lee Co.  if we ever want to get through this... 

As of 4/13:  WHOLE COUNTRIES  around the world vs Lee County, AL

★ Montenegro 274

★ Georgia (country) 272

★★★ LEE COUNTY 248 ★ ★ ★

★ Vietnam 265

★ Isle of Man 242

★ DR Congo 235

★ Sri Lanka 217

★ Guernsey 209

★ Kenya 208

★ Jersey 198

★ Venezuela 181

★ Guatemala 155

★ Paraguay 147

★ El Salvador 137

★ Brunei 136

★ Mali 123

★ Cambodia 122

★ Trinidad and Tobago 113

★ Madagascar 106

★ Northern Cyprus 99

★ Monaco 93

★ Aruba 92

★ Liechtenstein 79

★ Togo 77

★ Ethiopia 74

★ Jamaica 72

Barbados 71

★ Myanmar 62

★ Congo Republic 60

★ Liberia 59

★ Gabon 57

★ Bermuda 57

★ Uganda 54

★ French Polynesia 53

★ Cayman Islands 53

★ Sint Maarten 50

★ Tanzania, United Republic of 49

★ Bahamas 47

★ Macau 45

★ Guyana 45

★ Zambia 45

★ Haiti 40

★ Guinea-Bissau 39

★ Benin 35

★ Eritrea 34

★ Sudan 29

★ Libya 25

★ Somalia 25

★ Antigua and Barbuda 23

★ Chad 23

★ Mozambique 21

★ Equatorial Guinea 21

★ Maldives 20

★ Angola 19

★ New Caledonia 18

★ Laos 18

★ Mongolia 17

★ Namibia 16

★ Fiji 16

★ Malawi 16

★ Saint Lucia 15

★ Curaçao 14

★ Grenada 14

★ Eswatini 14

★ Zimbabwe 14

★ Belize 14

★ Nepal 14

★ Botswana 13

★ Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 12

★ Greenland 11

★ Central African Republic 11

★ Montserrat 11

★ Sierra Leone 10

★ São Tomé and Príncipe 4

★ Timor-Leste 4

★ British Virgin Islands 3

★ Anguilla 3

★ Papua New Guinea 2

★ Yemen 1

9 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Lee county has done much better of late. I think we have already peaked. 

now per capita Chambers county has outpaced much of the south. 

Hope you and the people in your life, personally and professionally, are holding up okay. Some of what I've seen among healthcare workers is pretty heartbreaking. A friend of mine had a 32 yr old patient she'd been taking care of for 2 nights die yesterday. And that's only a fraction of what some other providers are dealing with. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hope you and the people in your life, personally and professionally, are holding up okay. Some of what I've seen among healthcare workers is pretty heartbreaking. A friend of mine had a 32 yr old patient she'd been taking care of for 2 nights die yesterday. And that's only a fraction of what some other providers are dealing with. 

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words.

The last few weeks were tough, but I really do think we are over the hump. We’ve learned so much about this virus that we didn’t when we started. I hope all of you guys/families/friends are well also. 

7 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words.

The last few weeks were tough, but I really do think we are over the hump. We’ve learned so much about this virus that we didn’t when we started. I hope all of you guys/families/friends are well also. 

is the long haired hippy on the sidelines with gus ok that you know of? i have no clue who he is but i worry about my fellow hipsterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs....lol

I guess Alabama is gonna start trying to phase 1 May 1st and maybe Phase 2 by May 15.  By Phase 2 I think the school could allow practice/workouts to resume.  I’m not sure if there’s a season to play for but would be interesting to see how fast they get back at it.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, Win4AU said:

I guess Alabama is gonna start trying to phase 1 May 1st and maybe Phase 2 by May 15.  By Phase 2 I think the school could allow practice/workouts to resume.  I’m not sure if there’s a season to play for but would be interesting to see how fast they get back at it.

I think the future issues will be  from states that are not over the hump.  Say Alabama is open and running fine,  and we have control of the virus.  But Georgia still has issues with the virus.   Do we really want 20,000 people from an infected state coming to our campus?

It seems that sports will not open until the entire country has the virus under control.     It would not be fair to let some schools start practice in May,  and other schools not start til late  August.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I think the future issues will be  from states that are not over the hump.  Say Alabama is open and running fine,  and we have control of the virus.  But Georgia still has issues with the virus.   Do we really want 20,000 people from an infected state coming to our campus?

It seems that sports will not open until the entire country has the virus under control.     It would not be fair to let some schools start practice in May,  and other schools not start til late  August.

I would not consider May. I would use May to gauge a possible June start. Then allow about 12 practices In addition  to the normal fall schedule. But you can start them anytime beginning  June 1st. Just get at least a 10 day break before fall camp. 

That gives everyone flexibility to prepare how they see fit. You still have till late august to determine if you can reopen classes and have a season with our without fans. There’s a lot of things to determine. 

15 hours ago, alexava said:

I would not consider May. I would use May to gauge a possible June start. Then allow about 12 practices In addition  to the normal fall schedule. But you can start them anytime beginning  June 1st. Just get at least a 10 day break before fall camp. 

That gives everyone flexibility to prepare how they see fit. You still have till late august to determine if you can reopen classes and have a season with our without fans. There’s a lot of things to determine. 

Good plan.  I like the plan,  but what will we do with  states like Louisiana that may not be ready to practice until September?

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Good plan.  I like the plan,  but what will we do with  states like Louisiana that may not be ready to practice until September?

If that’s the case come end of May , we ditch my plan. Or better yet just let Louisiana skip the season lol. 

36 minutes ago, alexava said:

If that’s the case come end of May , we ditch my plan. Or better yet just let Louisiana skip the season lol. 

Finally somebody is talking some sense around here.

Archived