More opinion from a site that specializes in critical thinkers:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/presidents-character-unequal-task/608743/

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

But we’re now entering the most dangerous phase of the Trump presidency.

That's some radical speculation. With five more years remaining in the Trump presidency, who knows what will be the most dangerous phase? Only the hindsight available to history can determine that.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's some radical speculation. With five more years remaining in the Trump presidency, who knows what will be the most dangerous phase? Only the hindsight available to history can determine that.

Within five years I’m betting Amy Klobuchar will be the president. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

Within five years I’m betting Amy Klobuchar will be the president. 

Just curious as to how you come up with that. Biden picks Klobuchar as his VP pick and then he wins and dies or becomes incapacitated? I'd rather her be POTUS than Biden.

As an aside, do you think the COVID-19 crisis is helping Biden? It seems that he is able to lay low and not scare people right now, which may be good for his candidacy. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Only the hindsight available to history can determine that.

This greatly depends on who writes the history.  Hopefully not our current press corps

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Just curious as to how you come up with that. Biden picks Klobuchar as his VP pick and then he wins and dies or becomes incapacitated? I'd rather her be POTUS than Biden.

As an aside, do you think the COVID-19 crisis is helping Biden? It seems that he is able to lay low and not scare people right now, which may be good for his candidacy. Thoughts?

Yes and yes.  I don’t think Biden will get out of the first term. So those swing states will be voting against trump and for the VP. Remember there are only 6or 7 states that have any real bearing on the presidential election. It doesn’t matter how much our shitgibbons love trump. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes and yes.  I don’t think Biden will get out of the first term. So those swing states will be voting against trump and for the VP. Remember there are only 6or 7 states that have any real bearing on the presidential election. It doesn’t matter how much our shitgibbons love trump. 

What is your term for someone who votes for an unqualified Presidential candidate that will not live out his term or be declared mentally incompetent within those 4 years?  

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

What is your term for someone who votes for an unqualified Presidential candidate that will not live out his term or be declared mentally incompetent within those 4 years?  

A trump fan. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

A trump fan. 

I doubt a Trump fan would vote for someone like that, but you knew who I was talking about.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I doubt a Trump fan would vote for someone like that, but you knew who I was talking about.

Trump showed mental and social incompetence for years and certainly was and is unqualified. I don’t think he has slid back any but he’s nearly as old as Joe. I wouldn’t argue Joe is slipping. Hence, people are voting for Amy,or whoever gets the nod as vp. My vote won’t matter. I’m in Alabama. I don’t know where you live but it’s likely yours won’t either. A very small peace of the country is where it all hinges. 

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

Trump showed mental and social incompetence for years and certainly was and is unqualified. I don’t think he has slid back any but he’s nearly as old as Joe. I wouldn’t argue Joe is slipping. Hence, people are voting for Amy,or whoever gets the nod as vp. My vote won’t matter. I’m in Alabama. I don’t know where you live but it’s likely yours won’t either. A very small peace of the country is where it all hinges. 

This election will parallel the last election where one candidate is hated and the other is the one people will *settle on*. If you are a shitgibbons for voting for Trump in 2016, what will be your label for voting for Biden this time around?

We have slipped into voting for the lesser of two evils.  I’m not sure when we will break this trend.

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This election will parallel the last election where one candidate is hated and the other is the one people will *settle on*. If you are a shitgibbons for voting for Trump in 2016, what will be your label for voting for Biden this time around?

We have slipped into voting for the lesser of two evils.  I’m not sure when we will break this trend.

Agreed 

21 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden with all his faults, is not in the same class as the incompetent, narcisistic psychopath that is Trump.  Not even close.

Trump’s narcissism has never been more dangerous

No one could make up a character as narcissistic and lacking in human empathy as President Trump. Trump’s own words make the point better than any analysis or commentary:

More than 2,400 Americans had died by Sunday. Governors around the country are screaming for more assistance from the federal government. Trump? He obsesses over ratings. It is hard to comprehend how indifferent he is to human suffering.

His inanities did not stop. Later on Sunday, this is what he was worrying about:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) hit the nail on the head. “Well, first of all, let me just say how sad it is that, even since the President’s signing of the bill, the number of deaths reported has doubled from 1,000 to 2,000 in our country,” she said in a CNN “State of the Union” interview (before Trump’s tweet). “This is such a very, very sad time for us. So, we should be taking every precaution. What the president — his denial at the beginning was deadly. His delaying of getting equipment to where — it continues — his delay in getting equipment to where it’s needed is deadly.” She added that "as the president fiddles, people are dying. And we have to — we just have to take every precaution.” Trump’s sloth prevents proactive planning, and his utterances send everyone into a tizzy (e.g., a “quarantine” for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut), distracting the public and state and local officials.

As they have from the beginning, governors are laser-focused on solving equipment shortages and building up hospital capacity. Appearing together on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” the Michigan and Louisiana governors made their plea:

GOV. GRETCHEN WHITMER: Our numbers are climbing exponentially. We knew it was a matter of time, not if COVID-19 would come to Michigan. We took aggressive measures. We’ve been on the front end of aggressive measures that states have been taking, but we see this astronomical rise. We’ve got hospitals that are already at capacity. We’re running out of PPE as well. I’m grateful we got a shipment from FEMA yesterday for 112,000 N95 masks, but, you know, we’re going to be in dire straits again in a matter of days. And so we’re keeping up the pressure and working 24/7 at the state level. . . .
GOV. JOHN BEL EDWARDS: Well, we have the coronavirus now in cases in 56 of our 64 parishes. So while the hot spot is down around New Orleans, it is statewide. We know that if we don’t flatten the curve, we’re on a trajectory currently to exceed our capacity in the New Orleans area for ventilators by about April the 4th, and all beds available in hospitals by about April the 10th. So we’re doing everything we can to surge capacity. It is very difficult. We did get some PPE yesterday, like Governor Whitmer said. We’ve already allocated about 100,000 masks just yesterday to the hospitals. Ventilators are the short-term really big pressing issue that we’re trying to solve for — very difficult because every state is looking for these. There are only so many to be had. And so we’re trying to get the, the public to slow the spread by following the mitigation measures while we ramp up our medical capacity. This is a very challenging public health emergency.

Whitmer in particular sounded on CNN as though she is juggling multiple balls, all the while trying not to crash into Trump:

You know, I don’t have energy to respond to every slight. I — what I’m trying to do is work well with the federal government. And I will tell you this. There are people from the White House on down who are working 24/7, just like we are at the states. We’re all stressed, because we have people that are dying right now. I need assistance and I need partnership. And so that’s what we’re starting to see out of the feds. We’re grateful for it. But there’s so much more work to.

There is a growing consensus that the country will need a fourth relief package. Pelosi on CNN argued Sunday that money to the states was “just a down payment.” She added that a new bill would need to address the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, pension protection, “more on family medical leave,” coverage of the cost of covid-19 treatment and “address what happened to the District of Columbia, which was really cruel, that they called it a territory, and, hence, they got several hundred million dollars less in funding.” Republicans are already grumbling about the cost. In any other presidency, the chief executive would call Congress back to work, propose a follow-on package and address the concerns governors raise repeatedly. Not this president. He’s obsessed with ratings. Congress likely will not return to Washington for several weeks. The death toll will rise, the economic hardship will deepen, and the governors’ logistical problems will become insoluble.

Increasingly, the country seems to operate on two tracks. On one, groveling courtiers flatter Trump, try to soften his impulsive pronouncements and scramble to catch up after months of delay. As they cater to the president, exploring patently absurd ideas, they have less attention to devote to real issues that only the federal government can address. On the other track, governors have no time for bowing and scraping; they are dealing hands-on with hundreds of logistical challenges, made worse by the absence of coordinated purchasing and by lack of a comprehensive testing program. Thank goodness governors are actually doing their jobs, which increasingly entail navigating around Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/30/trumps-narcissism-has-never-been-more-dangerous/

1 hour ago, homersapien said:
22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden with all his faults, is not in the same class as the incompetent, narcisistic psychopath that is Trump.  Not even close.

How do you know?  Biden has never been the President and he is not the same he has been earlier in his career.  I understand you will vote for him (or whoever he pick as the VP), but we will not know until he is put in charge.

22 hours ago, homersapien said:

Why not?

Perhaps you are not familiar with "The Atlantic"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantic

I know this is irrelevant, but I must say that I appreciate The Atlantic. I do not always agree with the opinions espoused; however, the literary competence of its contributors is second to none. Lawyers are known for their lack of an appealing prose style. One obvious way to remedy that problem - according to a former SCOTUS justice - is to start reading good prose. The Atlantic was highly recommended.   

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I know this is irrelevant, but I must say that I appreciate The Atlantic. I do not always agree with the opinions espoused; however, the literary competence of its contributors is second to none. Lawyers are known for their lack of an appealing prose style. One obvious way to remedy that problem - according to a former SCOTUS justice - is to start reading good prose. The Atlantic was highly recommended.   

I also suggest you get a copy of "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. 

It's a small volume, easy to digest and it will most definitely improve your writing. (I used to give a copy to everyone I hired.  And trust me, as a generalized statement, scientists and engineers are far worse writers than lawyers.)

I took "Business and Professional Writing" at Auburn which helped, but internalizing the guidelines in Strunk and White probably had more impact. 

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

How do you know?  Biden has never been the President and he is not the same he has been earlier in his career.  I understand you will vote for him (or whoever he pick as the VP), but we will not know until he is put in charge.

Anyone who has studied Trump's history - not to mention his psychology - would know.

Trump is a narcissistic con man with no empathy (i.e.: a psychopath).  Biden is not.

On 3/29/2020 at 3:25 PM, homersapien said:

Why not?

Perhaps you are not familiar with "The Atlantic"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantic

"For his entire adult life, and for his entire presidency, Donald Trump has created his own alternate reality, complete with his own alternate set of facts. He has shown himself to be erratic, impulsive, narcissistic, vindictive, cruel, mendacious, and devoid of empathy. None of that is new."

So Trump really created his own alternate reality? Do you have any evidence of it? Has everyone you disagree with created their own alternate reality as well? Even if the opening paragraph is true, there is NOTHING in this that suggests anything but a hit piece. A well-written article should make people want to read the author's opinion. I try to avoid hate. It is not good for most people.

14 hours ago, Grumps said:

"For his entire adult life, and for his entire presidency, Donald Trump has created his own alternate reality, complete with his own alternate set of facts. He has shown himself to be erratic, impulsive, narcissistic, vindictive, cruel, mendacious, and devoid of empathy. None of that is new."

1) So Trump really created his own alternate reality?  Yes.  Trump has always lived in his own reality - just like everyone else, including psychopaths.

2) Do you have any evidence of it?  Research his life (history).

3)Has everyone you disagree with created their own alternate reality as well?  That's an interesting question. Logically,  I would say "yes". Of course, the real question would be how far that reality is from actual reality.

Even if the opening paragraph is true, there is NOTHING in this that suggests anything but a hit piece. A well-written article should make people want to read the author's opinion. I try to avoid hate. It is not good for most people. Don't confuse objective - or even opinionated - analysis of reality with "hate".  You don't want to "avoid" information or opinion.

11 hours ago, Grumps said:

So Trump really created his own alternate reality? Do you have any evidence of it? Has everyone you disagree with created their own alternate reality as well? Even if the opening paragraph is true, there is NOTHING in this that suggests anything but a hit piece. A well-written article should make people want to read the author's opinion. I try to avoid hate. It is not good for most people.

Trump's pathological lying is not a construct of opinion or political leaning. Even the "what he really meant was" industry that has spun up in his wake doesn't try to argue that the things he says are factually accurate. 

On 3/29/2020 at 12:06 PM, alexava said:

It doesn’t matter how much our shitgibbons love trump. 

The only shitgibbons I know here are Joe Biden supporters. How about you Alex?

4 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

The only shitgibbons I know here are Joe Biden supporters. How about you Alex?

I like Joe Biden in the same sense as I like Alabama’s opponents for one Saturday in the fall. Don’t deny your identity. You are a shitgibbon. Be proud. 

Archived