2004 Auburn Defense

StatTiger

A subscriber made a video request for the 2004 Auburn defense, so here it is. The recent Coronavirus has taken away some of our freedom, including sporting events. I hope this video can fill some of the gap.

The 2003 Auburn defense was as talented as the 2004 unit but lacked the overall leadership the 2004 team possessed. Team leadership and unity is what brought everything together during the 2004 season, when Auburn recorded a 13-0 record. It helped to possess an abundant level of talent on both sides of the football but I cannot recall an Auburn team that was blessed with the same level of chemistry since the 1993 team, prior to the 2004 campaign.

Enjoy the defensive highlights from all thirteen games from Auburn’s 2004 championship season. The 2004 Auburn defense was the most dominant Auburn defense since the 1988 squad. Kevin Steele has brought consistency back to the defense but has not reached the same level of success as the 2004 unit.

War Eagle!

https://youtu.be/6azIWY4VT1k

That 2004 defense was saaaaalllty. Folks thought after losing Dansby and Thomas and DeMarco McNeil we might regress. The additions of Groves and Mcclover took the d line to the next level. They were so fast. Such a fun d to watch. 

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

The additions of Groves and Mcclover took the d line to the next level.

What I wouldn't give for Hall and Big Kat to turn into them

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I dunno about Hall, but I'm unfortunately not seeing it with Big Kat. He doesnt seem as twitchy as he was advertised to be in recruiting. We've been missing that element for the last few years, since Holland left. One thing you used to always be able to count on was Auburn having at least one fast defensive end. Mcclover, Groves, Coleman, Lemonier, Ford, Lawson, and Holland. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Stanley is one of my least favorite tigers ever with the stunt he pulled off the field. SMH.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Stanley is one of my least favorite tigers ever with the stunt he pulled off the field. SMH.

Which is why it would be great to have another guy play like him so that we can say "Remember Derrick Hall" instead of "Remember Stanley McLovin"

13 hours ago, twilli13 said:

I dunno about Hall, but I'm unfortunately not seeing it with Big Kat. He doesnt seem as twitchy as he was advertised to be in recruiting. We've been missing that element for the last few years, since Holland left. One thing you used to always be able to count on was Auburn having at least one fast defensive end. Mcclover, Groves, Coleman, Lemonier, Ford, Lawson, and Holland. 

Last I heard, Kat was transitioning from full time Buck to primarily a WDE, but I could be wrong. 

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Bit Kat did lead the team in QB Hurries. Hopefully he can convert them into sacks his senior year. I see plenty of upside in Hall.

53 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Bit Kat did lead the team in QB Hurries. Hopefully he can convert them into sacks his senior year. I see plenty of upside in Hall.

Wow.  It is hard to believe Big Kat is going to be a senior already.  Time really does fly.

7 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Stat...I'd curious to see what his overall pressure numbers (sacks plus hurries) would be say compared to Holland or Lawson. Qb hits would be a good metric to see too. Do you have that kinda data?

10 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Thank you @StatTiger!!!  
The 2004 team is without a doubt my favorite of all time!  For many reasons!   That brought back some wonderful memories!

Oh man, speaking of memories — I was in Lake Tahoe in the spring of 2004 and walked into the Caesar’s sports bar just to see what the odds were:  AU was at 100 to 1 to win it all.  So I put down a $20 bet.  I still have the ticket.  So close!  

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Stat...I'd curious to see what his overall pressure numbers (sacks plus hurries) would be say compared to Holland or Lawson. Qb hits would be a good metric to see too. Do you have that kinda data?

It just feels like the last 2 seasons since Holland left we have been close to a good bit of sacks but our edge guys were always just half a step too slow. We will get consistent pressure with very few paid off in sacks though.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It just feels like the last 2 seasons since Holland left we have been close to a good bit of sacks but our edge guys were always just half a step too slow. We will get consistent pressure with very few paid off in sacks though.

Those are exactly my thoughts. I just want the data to back it up. 😁

Just now, twilli13 said:

Those are exactly my thoughts. I just want the data to back it up. 😁

I'd also be curious as to how often teams have been throwing against us. Opposing coaches of quality opponents have known that we wouldn't be scoring much and have, at least in some cases, called plays accordingly. Mississippi State 2018 would be the most glaring example. Good teams just haven't had to chase points against us. 

But that could totally just be my imagination. It's entirely possible that QBs have dropped back against us just as much as they did in prior, more sack-heavy years.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'd also be curious as to how often teams have been throwing against us. Opposing coaches of quality opponents have known that we wouldn't be scoring much and have, at least in some cases, called plays accordingly. Mississippi State 2018 would be the most glaring example. Good teams just haven't had to chase points against us. 

But that could totally just be my imagination. It's entirely possible that QBs have dropped back against us just as much as they did in prior, more sack-heavy years.

Thats a great point. Also, not just how often, but even more advanced passing stats like attempts over a certain number of yards, attempts when down a certain number of points and things like that. Could be teams have thrown just as much in last few years, but the passing is more controlled high percentage attempts to keep the ball moving rather than higher risk/higher reward deep shots in order to stage a comeback. Especially now in the age of modern spread offenses with all these short screens and other QB stat friendly passing routes. 

Auburn's sack ratio from 1990-2019

Year Ratio
1994 8.21
1992 9.00
2005 9.23
1995 9.67
1991 9.78
2004 10.19
2003 10.65
1990 10.83
2018 11.11
1997 11.36
2017 11.57
2006 11.69
1996 12.45
1998 13.00
2002 14.66
1993 14.67
2010 14.71
2000 15.37
1999 15.82
2009 16.14
2019 16.18
2012 16.27
2013 16.39
2001 16.57
2008 17.57
2011 17.95
2007 18.32
2016 18.64
2014 21.15
2015 24.11

On 4/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, StatTiger said:

Auburn's sack ratio from 1990-2019

Year Ratio
1994 8.21
1992 9.00
2005 9.23
1995 9.67
1991 9.78
2004 10.19
2003 10.65
1990 10.83
2018 11.11
1997 11.36
2017 11.57
2006 11.69
1996 12.45
1998 13.00
2002 14.66
1993 14.67
2010 14.71
2000 15.37
1999 15.82
2009 16.14
2019 16.18
2012 16.27
2013 16.39
2001 16.57
2008 17.57
2011 17.95
2007 18.32
2016 18.64
2014 21.15
2015 24.11

So if I'm reading that right, 2018 was actually better than 2017, but 2019 was significantly worse. 

That's a mixed bag when discussing the post-Holland vacuum, but it does clarify that last year specifically was as bad as we thought.

Many thanks!

On 4/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, McLoofus said:

So if I'm reading that right, 2018 was actually better than 2017, but 2019 was significantly worse. 

That's a mixed bag when discussing the post-Holland vacuum, but it does clarify that last year specifically was as bad as we thought.

Many thanks!

These stats also dont take into account sacks by defensive linemen vs linebackers, safety's. Could have been many of our 2018 sacks came from those positions vs more traditional d lineman positions. Who knows. 

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

These stats also dont take into account sacks by defensive linemen vs linebackers, safety's. Could have been many of our 2018 sacks came from those positions vs more traditional d lineman positions. Who knows. 

Great point! 

sorry these videos were best displayed by AU96tiger, or something like that,. During these years. highlight reels and pump up videos were in there infancy. he started it all for us bloggers and message board corona survivors.

once the 1st edition got played after the beating of LSU, we all knew we were not losing to anyone else. It was fun!!!

On 4/11/2020 at 2:25 AM, beaumak said:

sorry these videos were best displayed by AU96tiger, or something like that,. During these years. highlight reels and pump up videos were in there infancy. he started it all for us bloggers and message board corona survivors.

once the 1st edition got played after the beating of LSU, we all knew we were not losing to anyone else. It was fun!!!

Not only is this the best video ever, but nothing has come particularly close since. I actually don't enjoy them anymore because they all fall so far short of this impossible standard. 

On 4/11/2020 at 2:25 AM, beaumak said:

I always enjoy AU96 Tiger videos as well and appreciate his intent of playing to the emotional aspect of the game. I did not make this video or any other to compete so why make the comparison? You are entitled to your opinion but keep in mind that anyone who makes and uploads videos, took some time and effort to do so. For me, I have always been a historian of the game, so my productions will not be a "hype" concept, though I have produced those as well. I make these videos in appreciation for all the wonderful experiences I have over the years, watching Auburn football. I attempt to share these emotions and memories with other fans, without passing judgement on others.

War Eagle!

Archived