Trump just comes out and says it: The GOP is hurt when it’s easier to vote

homersapien

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was inclined to offer you a tip of the hat and a mea culpa even before the last paragraph, as you are better informed on this than I am. There is still a conversation to be had about making it more difficult to vote, but that is indeed different than making it impossible to vote. 

Understood about the spirit of 'can do' initiative, and there is likewise probably something to that; however, I believe that there are structural differences between generations both in society and the economy that complicate the conversation. Put simply, I think boomers and their kids had a much rosier outlook on the ROI of hard work, and for good reason. Again, I could be wrong.

It's not unusual that my sparring partner shows a little more grace than me. You've done that and then some. Thank you and, yes, let's please all stay safe and healthy. All of us. 

I am having a hell of a time finding teenage labor:

The last two did a fine job for the 4 hours they were here helping to haul firewood, but they declined to come back the next weekend. ("Just wasn't for them"). I am paying $10.00/hour from the time they arrive to when they leave, including a free pizza lunch. One of them works in a grocery for $9.00/hr (gross).  Apparently it's the labor they had a problem with.  (Their mother told me they fell asleep as soon as they got back home.)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The last two did a fine job for the 4 hours they were here helping to haul firewood, but they declined to come back the next weekend. ("Just wasn't for them"). I am paying $10.00/hour from the time they arrive to when they leave, including a free pizza lunch. One of them works in a grocery for $9.00/hr (gross).  Apparently it's the labor they had a problem with.  (Their mother told me they fell asleep as soon as they got back home.)

Jeez. Was that $10/hr under the table? I would've called that $40 easy money back in the day. And I love pizza. 

And it's a shame that the parents accepted "it's too much work" as an excuse not to go back. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/10/acorn-accusations/  "What a McCain-Palin Web ad calls "voter fraud" is actually voter registration fraud. Several ACORN canvassers have been found guilty of faking registration forms and others are being investigated. "

ttps://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124182750646102435 "More Acorn Voter Fraud Comes to Light"

That's just the first two of untold numbers of articles about the Democrat sponsored ACORN voter registration scandals. I'm surprised that you didn't know about this.

From reading the fact check you posted, this was 12 years ago.  Wasn't as in tune with politics back then as I am now.  Was too busy chasing women and calling baseball games every day.

However, from your fact check article, this really stands out.  Doesn't support your notion as much as you think.

Neither ACORN nor its employees have been found guilty of, or even charged with, casting fraudulent votes. What a McCain-Palin Web ad calls "voter fraud" is actually voter registration fraud. Several ACORN canvassers have been found guilty of faking registration forms and others are being investigated. But the evidence that has surfaced so far shows they faked forms to get paid for work they didn’t do, not to stuff ballot boxes.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jeez. Was that $10/hr under the table? I would've called that $40 easy money back in the day. And I love pizza. 

And it's a shame that the parents accepted "it's too much work" as an excuse not to go back. 

Under the table. I agree, I would have killed for such a work opportunity at that age.

But they actually did a pretty good job. They were brothers, one 15 and one 18.  The 18 year old actually took the initiative to split logs with a maul, which I had doubts he could even do. (They were both skinny as rails.)   

I called their mother (an Auburn grad) to ask what's up.  She agreed that times had changed. She said she started working at age 13.  I didn't talk to their father.  The whole family are musicians and the boys are active in the band. Man, they could have really used the exercise. Presumably they get some sort of allowance for spending money, but they had a steady opportunity with me for whatever hours they wanted.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

From reading the fact check you posted, this was 12 years ago.  Wasn't as in tune with politics back then as I am now.  Was too busy chasing women and calling baseball games every day.

However, from your fact check article, this really stands out.  Doesn't support your notion as much as you think.

Neither ACORN nor its employees have been found guilty of, or even charged with, casting fraudulent votes. What a McCain-Palin Web ad calls "voter fraud" is actually voter registration fraud. Several ACORN canvassers have been found guilty of faking registration forms and others are being investigated. But the evidence that has surfaced so far shows they faked forms to get paid for work they didn’t do, not to stuff ballot boxes.

That's the way I remember it.

Republicans got a lot of mileage out of the Acorn "scandal".

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Under the table. I agree, I would have killed for such a work opportunity at that age.

But they actually did a pretty good job. They were brothers, one 15 and one 18.  The 18 year old actually took the initiative to split logs with a maul, which I had doubts he could even do. (They were both skinny as rails.)   

I called their mother (an Auburn grad) to ask what's up.  She agreed that times had changed. She said she started working at age 13.  I didn't talk to their father.  The whole family are musicians and the boys are active in the band. Man, they could have really used the exercise. Presumably they get some sort of allowance for spending money, but they had a steady opportunity with me for whatever hours they wanted.

Best under the table gig I ever had was at a neighborhood bar.  Worked there for six months slinging drinks.  Got paid $6.50 an hour cash + tips.  Every two weeks my "paycheck" was a wad of cash rolled up waiting on me. 

Many of our regulars were down to earth business owners that had money.  One dude owned a funeral home and always tipped big.  I made some serious money at that place.   Probably averaged $15-$20 an hour and most of the time I was just shooting the bull with regulars and pouring beers.  Wasn't an exotic cocktail type of crew.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Best under the table gig I ever had was at a neighborhood bar.  Worked there for six months slinging drinks.  Got paid $6.50 an hour cash + tips.  Every two weeks my "paycheck" was a wad of cash rolled up waiting on me. 

Many of our regulars were down to earth business owners that had money.  One dude owned a funeral home and always tipped big.  I made some serious money at that place.   Probably averaged $15-$20 an hour and most of the time I was just shooting the bull with regulars and pouring beers.  Wasn't an exotic cocktail type of crew.

You can make good money on tips at the right restaurant/bar.  My goddaughter spent years as a waitress at a high end restaurant in Athens, Ga and did quite well.  She was kind of a slob though, and I looked into her room once and there were wads of cash strewn everywhere.

Very hard work (in her case) though.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

The last two did a fine job for the 4 hours they were here helping to haul firewood

Are you aware that burning a wood fire is harmful to the environment?

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are you aware that burning a wood fire is harmful to the environment?

No, actually it's carbon neutral.

If I don't burn in it my fireplace, it decomposes on the forest floor, releasing the carbon. 

And most of the trees I cut are already dead.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No, actually it's carbon neutral.

If I don't burn in it my fireplace, it decomposes on the forest floor, releasing the carbon. 

And most of the trees I cut are already dead.

Some would disagree.

Burning wood is not CO2 free; it releases carbon, stored over the previous decades, in one quick burst. For an equal amount of heat or electricity, it releases more CO2than burning gas, oil and even coal, so straight away we have more CO2 in the air from burning wood.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/01/pollutionwatch-wood-burning-is-not-climate-friendly

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Some would disagree.

Burning wood is not CO2 free; it releases carbon, stored over the previous decades, in one quick burst. For an equal amount of heat or electricity, it releases more CO2than burning gas, oil and even coal, so straight away we have more CO2 in the air from burning wood.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/01/pollutionwatch-wood-burning-is-not-climate-friendly

I didn't suggest is was carbon free, I said it was carbon neutral.

As your link clearly states:  "to make it climate neutral we need an increase in forests."

My house is designed for passive solar gain and is extremely well-insulated.  Accordingly, I don't use a lot of wood, perhaps 2 cords/yr. And while I didn't plant new forest,  I did protect the forest I own with a conservation agreement that protects it from future development.  My 70 + acres of forest wilderness removes far more carbon from the atmosphere in a year than I am releasing by the relatively small amount of wood I burn for heat. 

So my burning (dead) firewood does not represent a net addition of carbon to the environment -as happens with burning long sequestered carbon ("new" carbon) such as petroleum or coal most certainly do.

And of course - as I said - the (dead) firewood I use would release most of this carbon to the atmosphere anyway, as a byproduct of decomposition.

It's a completely renewable resource, especially the way I use and manage it. 

So please don't assume I haven't thought about what I am doing. I fact, I consider the "carbon footprint" consequences for virtually every decision I make.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

"to make it climate neutral we need an increase in forests.

The article concludes:  It seems that wood burning is not climate neutral in the short term and requires an increase in forested area to be climate neutral in the longer term. 

Not my opinion, it’s the author’s opinion.  He just disagrees.

So please don't assume I haven't thought about what I am doing. I fact, I consider the "carbon footprint" consequences for virtually every decision I make.

I believe you are very green in your thoughts and bend your logic to fit your believes just like every other human.

As a United Nations report has just uncovered, wood burning and diesel vehicles are two of the biggest culprits in the developed world in generating the black carbon – soot – that is a major cause of climate change.

"It's nice to sit in front of a wood fire in the winter, but we should all be feeling pretty guilty," said Joseph Alcamo, chief scientist at the UN Environment Programme.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/nov/27/wood-fires-fuel-climate-change

This article is 8 years old....full disclosure  

Don’t you have a diesel tractor?

On 3/31/2020 at 2:32 PM, countoff said:

Hang on!  Wait a minute!

I don't think any Republican (or conservative, or even Trump) has any issue with making the physical act of voting easier for registered voters.  Whether that be in the form of absentee, or computer aided, or early voting.

Our issue is when the democrats want illegal aliens to vote, or they want to gather up a bunch of sick and impressionable homeless people to be registered and vote on the same day , or there's dead people voting via absentee ballot.  There has to be enough time and a method to ensure that the voter is a living breathing citizen of the U.S., state, and district of his/her permanent residence.

You guys are trying to distort the quotes from Republicans to imply they don't like a lot of people voting.

If republicans wanted the physical act of voting to be easier then egg has early voting time been reduced in most states with republican governors?

22 hours ago, homersapien said:

Since the discussion has veered off into the teenage employment situation, I'll say that you must live in the wrong place. Here in Alabama I have a few local boys that want to come help work up firewood, cut brush that's hard to get to with machinery and do other less than pleasant chores. I pay $8.50 per hour, plus fishing privileges in the farm's lake. When my wife broke her ankle, they even brought two of their sisters over to do household chores. That was the boy's idea or maybe the sister's idea, not mine. I was handling laundry and so forth quite well but when the two girls showed up at the front door, whatcha' gonna do? The girls did work hard and didn't want fishing in addition to their $8.50 per hour. They wanted horse riding, so they got that instead. Maybe you need to sweeten the pot a little. Where you are, you could probably loan them a little garden spot to grow weed and all would be happy?

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since the discussion has veered off into the teenage employment situation, I'll say that you must live in the wrong place. Here in Alabama I have a few local boys that want to come help work up firewood, cut brush that's hard to get to with machinery and do other less than pleasant chores. I pay $8.50 per hour, plus fishing privileges in the farm's lake. When my wife broke her ankle, they even brought two of their sisters over to do household chores. That was the boy's idea or maybe the sister's idea, not mine. I was handling laundry and so forth quite well but when the two girls showed up at the front door, whatcha' gonna do? The girls did work hard and didn't want fishing in addition to their $8.50 per hour. They wanted horse riding, so they got that instead. Maybe you need to sweeten the pot a little. Where you are, you could probably loan them a little garden spot to grow weed and all would be happy?

I bet fifty would do that

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's still illegal in SC.  ;)

Oh and I've  already tried the Alabama teens.  I had a teenage cousin and his friend come up for a week. 

It started poorly (cell phones and social media), but after I read them "riot act" at dinner that night, it got much better.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-2020-election-legal-battle-coronavirus-162152

Trump campaign declares war on Dems over voting rules for November

With coronavirus injecting enormous doubt into voter turnout, it’s a sleeper issue that both parties say could sway the election.

Pandemic threatens monster turnout in November

Election administrators and voting-rights experts say there's little time to change November voting procedures to account for coronavirus.

Time is running out to allow millions of Americans to vote this fall without fear of contracting the novel coronavirus.

Mail voting — the voting method that best preserves social distancing — is infrequently used in many states, and those that don’t have extensive mail voting might be unable to implement systems before November. And while 33 states, including most 2020 presidential battlegrounds, already allow any voter to cast a ballot by mail who wants to, a number of those states aren’t prepared to handle the crush of mailed-in ballots that could be coming their way in November.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, homersapien said:

With coronavirus injecting enormous doubt into voter turnout, it’s a sleeper issue that both parties say could sway the election.

When Clinton lost in 2016, the Dems blamed misogyny, racism, skinheads and weak women who only vote the way their husband's instruct them to vote. This time it will be easier for the Dems. Now they'll they'll have the coronavirus to blame for another butt kickin' by President Trump.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

When Clinton lost in 2016, the Dems blamed misogyny, racism, skinheads and weak women who only vote the way their husband's instruct them to vote. This time it will be easier for the Dems. Now they'll they'll have the Chinese Virus to blame for another butt kickin' by President Trump.

Yeah, Trump is going to "kick butt" just like Hoover "kicked butt" in 1932.

You are at least good for a laugh!  :laugh:

On 4/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I believe you are very green in your thoughts and bend your logic to fit your believes just like every other human.

"Don’t you have a diesel tractor?"

What do you mean by that?  I don't "bend" my logic to "fit" anything.

I apply my values and logic to form my decisions in every aspect of my life, starting with my decision to have children.  This doesn't mean I am a complete environmental aesthetic.  Like many - if most Americans - I have a very, very nice lifestyle.

For example, I must have a vehicle. But I don't buy a massive SUV or truck - since there environmentally responsible alternatives which will meet my needs.  And I critically examine my actual needs instead of my perceived ones, at least for the most part. 

I advocate environmentally responsible decisions in our individual individual lives and as a society.  If you want to have an honest discussion about specific ways or alternative available that will be for our ecology, we can have it. But you are clearly trying to attack me personally in a "gotcha way" manner and I think it's sleazy and disingenuous. 

I have never maintained I have a zero environmental footprint.  I just try to do the best I can, for the sake of my own values and love of the earth, as well as the human race, including your descendants.

So **** you.

P.S.:

The way I burn wood creates very little to no "soot".  So, in balance, the way I heat my home is more ecological than the way other people heat their homes, especially considering the thermostat settings they probably use. 

Like I said though, I have an inherent advantage by acquiring - and protecting - 70 acres of wilderness. So I personally don't need to increase "our forests" to make my wood burning ecologically self-sufficient.  (Considering your compulsion to play "gotcha", I know it must be difficult for you to wrap your head around that, but at least try this time around.).

And my 33 hp tractor uses very little fuel, perhaps 25-30 gallons per year, and it is equipped with a state of the art Diesel Particulate Filter (DFF).  It is essential to maintaining my (ecologically-friendly) lifestyle. Like the gas my 30 mpg VW uses though, it obviously shows up on the "negative" side of the ledger.

Now, should we talk about you and your environmental footprint in specificity?

20 hours ago, Grumps said:

Hey homer, is COVID-19 really just the Chinese trying to limit US voters to help Trump get re-elected?

If it were a Chinese plot, it would serve to accomplish just the opposite.  Obviously.

If it were a Chinese plot, it would serve to accomplish just the opposite.  Obviously.

It's not obvious to me. This thread seems to say that the more that vote, the better for the democrats. If COVID-19 keeps people from voting that would mean more likely victory for republicans. Trump's approval ratings are going up presumably because of his handling of the COVID-19 crisis. But you know me, I am good at missing the obvious!

Archived