Updated: Dead Period Extended Through July

ellitor

NCAA extends recruiting dead period due to coronavirus

By Austin Nivison

Last month, the NCAA decided to suspend on- and off-campus recruiting until April 15 due to the spread of COVID-19, or the coronavirus. However, on the first day of April, the NCAA has decided to push that deadline even further out.

On Wednesday, the NCAA announced that the dead period for recruiting would be extended through May 31. The organization will continue to work with health experts to determine when it is safe to resume recruiting activities as normal. The NCAA announced its decision in a tweet.

"The Division I Council Coordination Committee and the Division II Administrative Committee extended the recruiting dead period through May 31," the NCAA said in a release. "The committees will continue to be guided by experts to determine whether the date needs to be extended."

This latest extension means that there will be no official or unofficial visits for football recruits, which are frequent in the spring. Spring evaluations also won't take place, and basketball spring signees and transfers may need to make a big decision without every having visited a school.

The NCAA continues to put things on hold in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Right as many college basketball conference tournaments were getting underway last month, the NCAA canceled all spring and winter sports championships, marking 2020 as the first year since 1939 that the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament -- better known as "March Madness" -- will not be played.

Virtually all North American sports have come to a halt within the past 48 hours -- the NBA and NHL suspending their seasons, the MLB delaying the start of its 2020 season, and entities among the likes of the PGA Tour and NASCAR either postponing or canceling events. The Masters Tournament, arguably the most prestigious golf tournament in the world, was also postponed from its traditional second weekend of April date.

There is already some speculation that the 2020 college football season could be impacted by the coronavirus. Last week, ESPN College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit voiced his concern about whether fans will be able to watch college football this year on 'The Paul Finebaum Show.

“Don't get me wrong, if there's anybody who wants a football season, it’s me,” Herbstreit said. “I hope and pray there's a football season. I hope we're in a position to have a football season. I'm not trying to create drama or hysteria, I'm just trying to be real. From everything I hear, we are scratching the surface in New York, New Jersey, Miami and Seattle and these other epicenters. We’re just scratching the surface of where we're going to be in two weeks or three weeks or five weeks or eight weeks. I don't know how it ends. “I don't know how America just goes ‘woof’ we made it, other than a vaccine. You tell me. Someone enlighten me."

Coronavirus spreads between people in close contact with one another, typically within six feet, or through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Spread is still possible before people show symptoms, although that does not stand as the typical cause, according to the CDC.

This is rough on us football junkies! I’m just hoping we get to have a season to be honest about it. 😔 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

This is rough on us football junkies! I’m just hoping we get to have a season to be honest about it. 😔 

Don’t hold your breath on that 😔

15 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Don’t hold your breath on that 😔

Just posted a article about season possibilities. A shorter season is being discussed, along with other ideas by the Power 5 Conferences.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Just posted a article about season possibilities. A shorter season is being discussed, along with other ideas by the Power 5 Conferences.

This sucks.  Watch Vandy and Ark end up in the SEC CG as a result of some squirrelly change.    Just kidding, but you know what I mean.

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

This sucks.  Watch Vandy and Ark end up in the SEC CG as a result of some squirrelly change.    Just kidding, but you know what I mean.

Strange times my friend, strange times!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 11:52 AM, toddc said:

where is the article?  I would love to read it.  Thanks & WDE !!

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

where is the article?  I would love to read it.  Thanks & WDE !!

Probably in the football forum. It’s been 3 1/2 weeks so he may not remember. LOL

When in May does the dead period end? We need to hit the road and go see the players and talk them into coming to the Plains for a visit.

23 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

When in May does the dead period end? We need to hit the road and go see the players and talk them into coming to the Plains for a visit.

As of now the dead period goes through all of May & could be extended further.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

What are we gonna do IF the 2020 season is called off.

All college athletics will end and the Earth will explode.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

All college athletics will end and the Earth will explode.

Better hurry up and buy some beach front property on Mars.

• ellitor changed the title to Dead Period Extended Through June
48 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Wonder how much longer the NCAA will wait before they call off the season.

Probably very late in the year since having a football season next spring is on the table as a possibility

• ellitor changed the title to Updated: Dead Period Extended Through July

Archived