Catch All Covid-19 Thread

Go ahead and express your concerns and frustrations here. What are you doing during your quarantine? Drinking. Cooking up some delicious treats? Drinking. Are you essential? Drinking  

Lets leave the politics out of it. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'ma vent. 

Get up at 4 to go do a temporary DI install at EAMC to increase dialysis capacity during this pandemic. Get there around 7. Yeah! I'll be out of here in 4 hours and home by early afternoon. 

"Where's my supply?

Dude points at sink.

"Enough pressure?"

"60psi."

"Flow?"

Dude shrugs.

Well, I've had worse. Glad I brought a boost pump.

Get my tank banks, filter cart and divert cart set up. Dude asks me to do a disinfect of the new loop while I'm at it. OK, cool. Glad I brought Minncare too.

Get the disinfect started, let it dwell, start to rinse. I shocked the new loop I just built pretty hard, but this is taking way longer than it should. Finally rinses clear, now to wait for the resistance of the water to rise. 

Two hours later and I'm now pissed. Resistance isn't rising and I'm at a loss as to why. Figure it's the probe. Pull and clean. Numbers get better but still not where their supposed to be. Closest replacement is in my warehouse in Birmingham. ****. Resign myself to a s*** ton of driving.

Hit 280, and a stroke of luck. Tech from Fresenius in Lafayette calls me, 20 minutes up the road. They're done with my other temp DI setup they were using while renovating. "Do not leave. I am coming right now, you glorious a**hole."

Get there, break down my setup like greased lighting. 30 minutes and my literal and figurative ton of equipment is on my truck, including my known to work divert cart. Tear back to EAMC.

Door is locked. Call security. 

"You need to come to the front entrance to get screened again. No access on that door after 7. 

Dub is now pissed.

"This is an emergency install of a temporary dialysis water supply due to increased patient load, and I absolutely must get to my truck for parts and tools."

"Sorry, I can't grant you access."

Argh, but some kind soul observes my plight and opens the door for me. Success! 

Swap the divert cart, same problem. Head hits wall. 

Damn it. Proceed to disinfect again. Oh wait. Forget to prime the pump. Kill pump. Close valves. Open port. Face full of Minncare infused water.

Which smells like vinegar on steroids and burns like a ************.

Oh, and my eyes were open.

aaaaaaahhhhhh

Forgot to bleed pressure like a dumbass in a hurry.

Blink like holy hell to get that s*** out. Wash my face. Prime the pump, proceed with disinfect. 

Notice something while clearing the loop. The water is cloudy. It's not supposed to be cloudy. My pump is cavitating. Go look at pressure coming out of tap. My glorious static pressure of 60psi is now 0psi. There is no flow. Problem found. Dinky little sink can't meet demand. Call EAMC tech.

"I need a better supply."

"Don't have one."

"Welp, I did the best I could. Rinse the hell out of it and don't demand too much water from this system. Call me when you find another supply."

Driving back up 280 soaked, burning and stinking of sterilant. I need a beer. Bet I'll be going back tomorrow.

But damned if I dont love this job. 

I baked cookies from a recipe last week. Chocolate chip but not the regular kind... gluten free. I finally found flour that taste normal. Everything tasted like crap before Pillsbury saved the day. 

My wife and are are doing a backyard project. Moved a chain link fence week before last. The original owner of the house poured a footing around it so it was anchored in 5 inches of concrete. I used a jackhammer for the first time and it was pretty awesome. Not nearly as rough as I imagined. I thought I'd be sore but nope. I broke up about 24 feet of it. My dog has a smaller run now but it works. We gained more backyard which was the goal. 

I’m “essential” because I work in a bottle shop that falls under grocery. My team is upset and uncertain. We’re up 52% for the year...in March. It’s getting to be that what $$$=at what cost? 

14 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m “essential” because I work in a bottle shop that falls under grocery. My team is upset and uncertain. We’re up 52% for the year...in March. It’s getting to be that what $$$=at what cost? 

Mrs. Dub and I are counting our blessings. Both still working. She works from home anyway, so childcare isn't a problem.

She was nervous about me going to EAMC today. Lot of folks sick there, and quite a few have died. 

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So the sales team I oversee is based in NYC and we're essential because we ship goods directly to consumers.  Sales are booming right now, however one of our warehouse guys got a fever today.  Lots of tension and worry at the office up there while I'm down here in my house in Texas, especially with a majority of the crew using subways to get around.  Makes me feel awful that I'm not in the trenches with them.

As for passing down time: playing a ton of MLB The Show, smoking BBQ, and just planted a Toomer's Oak sapling in the back yard.

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Mrs. Dub and I are counting our blessings. Both still working. She works from home anyway, so childcare isn't a problem.

She was nervous about me going to EAMC today. Lot of folks sick there, and quite a few have died. 

Mrs. SMB is working from home now. She works for a company that runs training for drug rehab in prison/rehabs. Obviously there’s going to be zero physical training in the next...6 months(?). Half her squad has been laid off or furloughed, the others have had 50% pay cut. Thankfully she’s “only” taking 10% pay cut. I fully expect her company to shut down completely in the next week or two. 

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So the sales team I oversee is based in NYC and we're essential because we ship goods directly to consumers.  Sales are booming right now, however one of our warehouse guys got a fever today.  Lots of tension and worry at the office up there while I'm down here in my house in Texas, especially with a majority of the crew using subways to get around.  Makes me feel awful that I'm not in the trenches with them.

As for passing down time: playing a ton of MLB The Show, smoking BBQ, and just planted a Toomer's Oak sapling in the back yard.

I can’t even right now. Half my crew is of the mind “yeah if I get it I get it” the other is freaking out. Both of my owners kids got laid off/furloughed from Moët/Hennessy. So I’m like, how do I even express how to shut the doors? Obviously we can’t.  It’s so ****** right now. Statistically, I’ve been in contact with someone who’s had it. At this point I hope I’ve had it and I was asymptomatic and hope I didn’t pass it along. 

$150k a week is becoming blood money. 

50 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You gloved and masked up, I’m assuming?

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

But ya know $150k in a week is ******* blood money. 

You gloved and masked up, I’m assuming?

Yeah. I have a box of N95s on the truck, in addition to standard surgical masks.

Getting screened everywhere too. Temperature, plethysmography, questionnaire. 

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yeah. I have a box of N95s on the truck, in addition to standard surgical masks.

Getting screened everywhere too. Temperature, plethysmography, questionnaire. 

We’re...well, I’m gloved up. Letting 3 people in at a time. They’re not touching s***. Curbside call in. I feel dirty all of the time. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’re...well, I’m gloved up. Letting 3 people in at a time. They’re not touching s***. Curbside call in. I feel dirty all of the time. 

Pretty much in the situation where when I hit the door, the work boots, slacks and shirt come off in the basement and I immediately hop in the shower. 

I'm eating first tonight though. I haven't eaten a thing all day. The beer I just knocked back was my first calories. 

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Pretty much in the situation where when I hit the door, the work boots, slacks and shirt come off in the basement and I immediately hop in the shower. 

I'm eating first tonight though. I haven't eaten a thing all day. The beer I just knocked back was my first calories. 

Do it. Clean and eat and drink. I appreciate you.

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Do it. Clean and eat and drink. I appreciate you.

LOL don't give me too much credit. I still mostly turn wrenches and move heavy stuff back and forth.

And I do enjoy the problem solving and need for creativity aspects of it, even as I bitch.

The state of Mississippi and the city I work in has gone back and forth on what is essential and what isn't. The company I work for closed all stores down to the public on March 18 with a tentative date to reopen 10 days later. The Mayor then made a stay home order in effect from the 22nd to the 28th. The Governor defined essential and non-essential and we fell in the essential category. On the 30th we went back to work in small groups of 5-6 at a time practicing safe distancing (which is really hard to get into that habit) but we did not open to the public. We extended the tentative date to April 1. Then yesterday the Governor placed the state under a shelter in place order until the 20th of April. He also clarified essential and non-essential business again and now we are non-essential. So now we will all stay home again and hunker down and stay as safe as possible. 

By the way, I work for  retail clothing company who has been great to us. Whether we have worked or not we have all been paid. I manage the store and I have a few other FT assistants and the rest are PT. The PT have been paid right along with the management. We still have benefits too. There have been a couple of changes but it's nothing we cant live without. I am blessed beyond words that I work for a caring company, Kontoor Brands, who not only says it but who demonstrates it. So if you're ever so inclined, shop VF Outlet. They're all over the place and we sell Lee and Wrangler jeans and shirts. Shameless plug but the leaders of this company do things the right way. 

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

Yup. 

I'm essential. Meat cutter at Publix here on Gulf coast of Florida (Gulf Breeze). I'm beat but say my blessings everytime I have a break. Helping keep supplies with 2 out of work roomies. Playing guitar as much as possible. Canceled order on new Taylor. They're back ordered because everyone ordering. Figure I can steal one of those around Christmas. I live two miles from work so I ride bicycle. I go by police station and the couple I know stopped me. Told me I better not wreck and break arm. They need me more than I need them. I wish but felt good to hear. I want to ask them. How have home burglary stats gone since all this. I'm guessing way down in the long run. All y'all take care. If I can help with any questions on grocery front feel free to contact me. All I will say now is QUIT HOARDING! There is plenty. Let the manufacturers catch up. Peace!

I have seen more petty crime in my area it seems. Maybe thinking they can get away with more or they all just going crazy being quarantined up. Something sickening this week. UPS dropped off a neighbors shipment of computers (for kids to have school at home) at the wrong address. Neighbor was notified it delivered only to not see it when she got home. UPS claimed it was signed for. Next day the boxes show up with a bunch of old computer equipment that has been used for years. What’s wrong with people these days?! Signed for package, swapped their old computers for the new computers, then dropped off the delivery at the address it goes to. Neighbor was doing all diligence to get it taken care of but just ridiculous this neighbor has to go through that. They were bought for in home schooling. 

What a Shelter in Place is and isn’t:

A shelter in place requires the closure of non-essential businesses. All inhabitants of the state must remain on their property unless they are traveling to do something on the approved list. Under a shelter in place order, you can: Go grocery shopping, go shopping at any business allowed to remain open, engage in almost any form of outdoor recreation, travel between houses, buy food/drinks to go from restaurants, and travel somewhere for health reasons. 

A shelter in place is not a requirement that forces you to stay in your homes completely. 

If you are keeping up, this means that we were more or less under one already for the last two weeks as non-essential businesses were already closed. This changes very little if anything at all. The governor just issued one because si many people were putting pressure on her to do so. I’m saying this because I’m afraid this might be making people want to panic buy, thinking they’ll be stuck at home for several weeks. Please do not panic buy!

19 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

What a Shelter in Place is and isn’t:

A shelter in place requires the closure of non-essential businesses. All inhabitants of the state must remain on their property unless they are traveling to do something on the approved list. Under a shelter in place order, you can: Go grocery shopping, go shopping at any business allowed to remain open, engage in almost any form of outdoor recreation, travel between houses, buy food/drinks to go from restaurants, and travel somewhere for health reasons. 

A shelter in place is not a requirement that forces you to stay in your homes completely. 

If you are keeping up, this means that we were more or less under one already for the last two weeks as non-essential businesses were already closed. This changes very little if anything at all. The governor just issued one because si many people were putting pressure on her to do so. I’m saying this because I’m afraid this might be making people want to panic buy, thinking they’ll be stuck at home for several weeks. Please do not panic buy!

Right! Here is a link to Governor Ivey's written order, printable if desired, very carefully spelling out what this looks like for Alabama. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al.com/news/2020/04/stay-at-home-order-issued-for-alabama-what-you-can-and-cant-do.html%3foutputType=amp

Attached is the PDF file...hope it works. 

soe-covid19-stamped-040320.pdf

I’m sure I’m not alone, but my family has been doing this for a long time already.  Is is hard to do?  Sure, I feel like a caged tiger, but this is something we all need to do.  Perhaps the spring breakers, and their parents, will finally start being serious about the situation. 

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I’m sure I’m not alone, but my family has been doing this for a long time already.  Is is hard to do?  Sure, I feel like a caged tiger, but this is something we all need to do.  Perhaps the spring breakers, and their parents, will finally start being serious about the situation. 

Agreed, we all can do. Riding outside yesterday evening on my rusty uber-basic bike (unridden in years) that sweet husband reworked for me...the sky was never bluer, the grass never greener, every little of every age out and about with and without their parents...became my loooooooong distance WorldChanger (my regular class name)...yelling, "Two points...or three? Go for it!"...."Are you helping Daddy? Good job!"  These littles still deserve a cheerleader.

This is hard, and I don't take it lightly. I can't IMAGINE what it's like for countless individuals and families. I'm more grateful to more I've never met than ever before, and I really, really try, even under ordinary  circumstances.

But the glimpses of beauty propel...

My owner ordered us masks to wear at work. So that’s good I guess. 

Guy came in the shop the other day not knowing what he wanted. “I just wanted to get out of the house”. Thankfully, I wasn’t there or I’d have to ask him to make up his mind fast or leave. Some people are just too privileged. 

On 4/2/2020 at 1:07 AM, AUDub said:

LOL don't give me too much credit. I still mostly turn wrenches and move heavy stuff back and forth.

And I do enjoy the problem solving and need for creativity aspects of it, even as I bitch.

It's more about where you do it than what you do.

From what I understand of your job, you're on the front line,  or at least have an essential job very near the front.

Thank you and try to keep safe.

Archived