2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Texas has been doing elite 7x7 throughout the summer for years and this really helps in QB development.  Gatewood did not flame out here there were two very talented QB's Nix and Gatewood. Nix seemed to be a better passer at that time and Gatewood a better runner. I do believe Gatewood was misused last year there were times in the RED zone I think he was better choice than Nix the problem with using Gatewood is your Number 1 would not get better in long term if always pulled in Red Zone. It was a tough choice for the coaches and from what I read on this board it was not handled well as Gatewood seemed to think he would get PT in those situations but then did not get it. I would not be surprised to see Gatewood do well at Tenn. He is talented but now we will see how talented he really is.

In the film I have seen on Davis he is a much better passer than Gatewood or Frazier especially when he is on the move. He reminds me of Nick Marshall with his running but appears to be a better passer than Nick. Now my assessment is with Davis playing against HS talent and Nick against SEC talent so it is not an apples to apples comparison.  All HS QB's are gambles as you don't know how they will react to different talent levels but at this point I think we will be real happy with Davis.

I am going to pull an E. Gatewood is actually on UK’s roster. Otherwise love everything you said .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Its my birthday I'm trying to be nice..............key word trying

Happy Birthday Golf

d3399caa3368e3124fd22972ef7d2191.gif

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i have thought about suiting up in my cheerleader skirt and pom poms and watch for myself but i refuse to shave my beard or my legs. but can you imagine how epic it would be for the team to run out on the field and me over there cheering em on? i am gonna need someone  to pick me up and twirl me around and stuff tho ell. can you handle it? and i am old and fat so do not dare drop me cus it would hurt when i quit bouncing...............winks

Take another hit!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Happy Birthday Golf

Thanks @AUBwins. Now I have a mental image of Golf oggling all the young ladies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Happy Birthday Golf

Lol...............................my teeth are good wife has been in Dental for over 30 years

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I am going to pull an E. Gatewood is actually on UK’s roster. Otherwise love everything you said .

I knew that I don't know why I said Tenn. but thank you for correcting me. It must have been a Senior moment, LOL.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Davis is the better QB than Garnet the day Davis steps on campus. Davis is real real good. IMO. And it isn't even close.

I didn’t say anything to the contrary lol, just said it’s in the two’s best interests (meant to say that, not intentions) for them to develop. I don’t think you’d ideally want them playing

On 5/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, twilli13 said:

Someone please give me some hope this guy will be different than the last high but not sure cant miss dual threat qb recruit...ala Kiehl Frazier, Woody Barrett, or Joey Gatewood? I want to get excited, but you know what they say about fool me twice. Well, except this time its fool me like 5 times. Objectively, is this guy that good?

I think Kiehl might have comparable hype, just because he was supposed to be the successor to Cameron and had the links with Gus already, but in a vacuum, Davis is more hyped than all 3 prospects 

I never saw anything from Joey to make me think he was a bust like you’re alluding to either 

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Kiehl might have comparable hype, just because he was supposed to be the successor to Cameron and had the links with Gus already, but in a vacuum, Davis is more hyped than all 3 prospects 

I never saw anything from Joey to make me think he was a bust like you’re alluding to either 

I dont feel like thats an accurate statement. Kiehl was a high 4 star on rivals and a 5 star via Scout and I believe was the high school national player of the year. Davis is fairly high rated, but not that high with that many accolades. 

As far as Gatewood...let me clarify. Dont necessarily mean he was a bust, mainly i meant another hyped up 4 star qb everyone got excited about that didnt end up playing QB at Auburn at a high level. In his case, it was due to playing time. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, McLoofus said:

Let's see here:

-Completely different staff than Frazier. Gus was his OC but now Gus is his HC and Morris is his OC. You'd be justified to remain skeptical about how much control Morris will have over the offense, but the fact that we just landed a big time QB recruit out of a big time Texas high school- along with the two OLs and the speedy WR, all in one weekend- shows you that things are already going much differently on offense than they have since Gus became head coach.

-For Barrett and Gatewood, most of the above remains true. We still have the same WR and RB coaches that Gatewood had, and Gus was the head coach for both. Otherwise, it's a lot of new new. 

-Gatewood didn't flame out at Auburn. He got beat out by a 5* franchise QB. And now he's the presumptive starter for a mid-tier SEC East program. 

-Chad Morris coached Tajh Boyd and Deshaun Watson.

-Probably the best answer to your question as asked is to watch film on each guy and come to your own conclusions.

-Objectively, if you have these concerns about this guy, then you have them about literally every high school QB prospect. And that is totally understandable. Believe me, I see where you're coming from. But, personally, I don't see value in voicing those concerns in his recruitment thread so soon after he committed. There's plenty of time for that. He won't even be on campus for another 7-8 months at least. 

-Regarding Morris bringing new life to the offense, I just remain skeptical until I see it. Gus has burned me a lot of times. I hope Im wrong. 

-I didnt specifically say Gatewood flamed out. But he was another hyped QB that didnt end up being a star for us. I also wouldnt call Nix a franchise QB yet. He has a winning mentality and is a smart qb with some great skills, but his production has not nearly matched his potential yet. He may get there, but is not yet. I do see your point there, but again, Ill reitorate my prior one. 

-Gus coached Cam Newton and Kick Marshall, both of whom were awesome. Similar to the Morris thing with coaching Tajh (5 star) and Deshaun (5 star). I couldve coached those guys to excellence. 

-As far as voicing concerns in a recruiting thread, hey, its a message board. The whole beauty of it as it doesnt matter what I post. The kid will either be good or not. 🙂 

Edited by twilli13

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

-I didnt specifically say Gatewood flamed out. But he was another hyped QB that didnt end up being a star for us. I also wouldnt call Nix a franchise QB yet. He has a winning mentality and is a smart qb with some great skills, but his production has not nearly matched his potential yet. He may get there, but is not yet. I do see your point there, but again, Ill reitorate my prior one. 

-Gus coached Cam Newton and Kick Marshall, both of whom were awesome. Similar to the Morris thing with coaching Tajh (5 star) and Deshaun (5 star). I couldve coached those guys to excellence. 

-As far as voicing concerns in a recruiting thread, hey, its a message board. The whole beauty of it as it doesnt matter what I post. The kid will either be good or not. 🙂 

Well, I mean, Gatewood wasn't a star for us because he was beaten out by an even more hyped QB with only slightly less game experience. So I'm not sure why we'd talk about him in that context other than to suggest that he, like Frazier and Barrett, was a disappointment from a performance standpoint.

You're right, Nix might not be a franchise QB. But he beat out a presumptive SEC starter for the job as a true freshman and he won't have any competition for the job this year. He's beloved by his staff and his teammates. He'll be a 3rd-year starter going into 2021 and he'll be a 4th-year starter in 2022 if he chooses to be. Even if he's not a franchise QB now, injury is the only thing that will keep him from being one by the time he leaves.

Gus coached two juco transfers for a total of 3 years. One of them was the greatest athlete to ever play the position. Morris took redshirt sophomore Boyd and got him to 3,800+ yards passing in year 1 on the job. In fact, he threw for over 3,800 yards 3 years in a row. And then Watson took over the starting job 3 games into his freshman year, after he'd gone 29-41 for 479 yards, 4 touchdowns and no picks as the backup. In 4 games as a healthy starter + 4 games shortened by starting the season as backup and then injury, he had a 68% completion percentage, 1466 yards, 14 TDs, 2 picks, and 200 yards on the ground. Even with Cam and Nick, Gus has never approached that kind of passing production at Auburn. Never even sniffed it.

Fair enough on voicing your concerns. I phrased that poorly, anyway. Mea culpa. 

• Thanks 1

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Auburn QB commit is Elite 11 Finalist

By KEITH NIEBUHR 

Auburn fans will have a big reason to track the Elite 11 quarterback competition later this summer.

That's because 4-star Tigers commit Dematrius Davis of Houston (Texas) North Shore has been invited to the prestigious event.

Many of the participants for the 2020 finals were announced Friday and the roster includes 20 of the top high school signal allers in the country. This year, the Elite 11 finals will be held in Murfreesboro, Tennessee -- just outside of Nashville.

It will be June 29-July 1.

The Elite 11 regional tour was canceled in early March. Prior to that, regional events in Atlanta and Los Angeles took place.

Davis, the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback and No. 121 overall prospect nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, committed to Auburn on May 17 -- just two weeks after he de-committed from Virginia Tech.

Davis is 37-2 as a high school starter and has won two state titles in Texas' largest classification.

Here is his 247Sports Player Evaluation from 247Sports analyst Gabe Brooks: "Sturdy build with below average height but impressive bulk relative to frame. Not overly long but built a bit like a running back. Accurate passer with sterling statistical performance in Texas 6A D-I as a sophomore. Increased rushing workload as a junior and produced big numbers on the ground. Two-time Texas 6A D-I state title winner with intangibles that shine in high-pressure situations. Aware in the pocket. Avoids pass rush to extend play, inside and outside of pocket. Shows impressive close-quarters agility to avoid rushers as a passer or tacklers as a runner. Adequate arm strength with particularly good accuracy outside the numbers downfield. Efficient runner who has made most of limited rushing attempts as a sophomore before impressive higher-volume production as a junior. Can improve velocity to maximize overall arm strength. More quick than fast and can improve top-end speed. Power 5-caliber QB prospect who could become multi-year starter at the high-major level." — Gabe Brooks

You can find the Elite 11 roster HERE.

Awesome honor for DD. There are some heavy hitter programs involved. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Good stuff.

I looked through that full list. I'd probably put Davis in a top 3 or 4 with every chance to be the best of the bunch. 

I think it’s interesting all three of Coach Morris’s top QB targets are finalists along with our former QB commit Aaron McLaughlin who was invited but turned it down.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think it’s interesting all three of Coach Morris’s top QB targets are finalists along with our former QB commit Aaron McLaughlin who was invited but turned it down.

They also had Vandergriff's QB comparison as "Bo Nix"

I'm really, really excited about Davis. I keep telling people that if he was two inches taller, he'd be a five star recruit. I think he has more potential at the college level than even Bo, personally. I don't think he'll take the starting position away from Bo or anything, but I do think his legs are going to make a world of difference in this offense, much like Nick Marshall's did. I don't expect him to have quite the same kind of impact as Nick, because Nick could outrun most SEC defensive backs, and I don't think Dematrius will ever have that kind of top end speed. He does, however, have that acceleration burst necessary to be a step up from just enough to keep the defense honest with the zone read, as well as great escape-ability when scrambling.

And I LOVE the way other top prospects are following him as the alpha. Of course, the fact that he led his team to the state championship the last two years has been regurgitated a lot on Auburn boards, but to have been the starting QB at a Texas powerhouse program since he was a freshman, you just know he has to have something special about him. It's nice having a full QB room again with four guys on scholarship, but it'll be even nicer having a full QB room AND a chain of succession where the heir apparent is already there and the starter is an upperclassman. That's the way you want the quarterback situation to look, but we haven't had a line of more than 2 successful QBs with a starter as well as the heir apparent on the team since Pat Dye was running things (Bowden had it for his first few years with Stan White/Pat Nix/Dameyune Craig from 93-95, but that was due to Dye's recruiting). I suppose it makes sense that times have changed, and kids who have what it takes to be quality SEC QBs don't want to have to be a backup for 2-3 seasons, but it sure would make me feel better if we were able to maintain a line where the starter was never lower than a redshirt sophomore (barring injury), and there was always an heir apparent youngster either redshirting or waiting in the wings after redshirting. Yes, I know, that's the dream...but with Davis coming in 2021, I can see the first step of that dream finally coming through. And I honestly don't think he's going to be like Jeremy Johnson and fall so short of expectations. He's had too much success in a league that is as close to college football as high school can make it for me to believe he will fall so flat.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, Rednilla said:

And I honestly don't think he's going to be like Jeremy Johnson and fall so short of expectations. He's had too much success in a league that is as close to college football as high school can make it for me to believe he will fall so flat.

He also *should* have much better coaching than JJ did.

Not a shot at you, but I look forward to a day when 2015 is recognized for the anomaly that it was. (Which might suggest that it won't be discussed much at all, other than as a wild tale about how many things that can go wrong in one season.)

On 6/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, Rednilla said:

And I LOVE the way other top prospects are following him as the alpha.

Same. For me, this is *the* story of this recruiting class. Not only does it speak to his leadership, but also it's true that game recognize game. And he's doing this without there even being a camp circuit like guys have traditionally leaned on, and bringing guys with him from Texas. Yes, Chip Chad has a lot to do with it, but it's exactly what you said. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

What I like about him in this video, is he is so so versatile in his throws. One time he throws on the run, another he sits in the pocket and finds the open WR, and still in another he takes a 2 step and flicks a quick throw over the middle for a TD.

He's quick to see the field which is critical to a QB who can have that 'IT' factor as a QB....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What I like about him in this video, is he is so so versatile in his throws. One time he throws on the run, another he sits in the pocket and finds the open WR, and still in another he takes a 2 step and flicks a quick throw over the middle for a TD.

He's quick to see the field which is critical to a QB who can have that 'IT' factor as a QB....

I'm definitely not comparing him to any of these guys, but most of the best NFL QBs of the last 6 or 7 years have been guys who have decent mechanics but who are also able to improvise in this way. People will jump to Jackson and Mahomes, but you also look at guys like Wilson, Rodgers and even Brees and you think less about pure throwing motion and more about just making plays. Like you said, a lot of it is just seeing the field. Might've been Nick Marshall's best quality. 

• Like 1